Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (original 2011; edition 2012)

by E. L. James

2,6591492,221 (3.41)1 / 90
Member:kkretschmann
Title:Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Authors:E. L. James
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:*****

Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James (2011)

2012 (63) 2013 (10) adult (14) bdsm (58) contemporary (14) contemporary romance (15) E L James (9) ebook (48) erotic (28) erotic romance (13) erotica (121) fiction (149) Fifty Shades (11) Fifty Shades Trilogy (9) Kindle (53) love (14) love story (7) nook (8) own (9) paperback (10) read (29) read in 2012 (51) read in 2013 (7) relationships (8) Roman (7) romance (128) Seattle (9) series (32) sex (24) to-read (25)

English (143)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (155)
One of the last of my September reads........

EL JAMES – 50 SHADES DARKER

Blurb......

Romantic, liberating and totally addictive, the Fifty Shades trilogy will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you for ever ...

Daunted by the dark secrets of the tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Ana Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a US publishing house.

But desire for Grey still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, she cannot resist. Soon she is learning more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades than she ever thought possible.

But while Grey wrestles with his inner demons, Ana must make the most important decision of her life. And it's a decision she can only make on her own ...

Well, I’ll try and find something positive to say about this unfortunate read. It’s only 532 pages long and despite not being what I would call a typical page-turner you can eat the pages up quite quickly! And I suppose anything that creates a media buzz and makes people who usually wouldn’t read, pick up a book can’t be a bad thing.

So why did I read it? Well, in the Keane household, I have a habit of reading what my wife has read previously, just so we can compare afterwards. Typically she reads the likes of Linwood Barclay, Harlan Coben, Tess Gerritsen etc, so whilst these aren’t on my A-list of people I would typically read through choice I have enjoyed some of these authors, some more than others. Anyway the girls at her work were reading these and chatting about them in the summer; ergo it’s my time a couple of months down the line.

I have to say James can write better than I can, though whether she is a good writer is doubtful in my opinion. For the record; I don’t write and I don’t have any aspirations to write but a big part of me has admiration for those who do and those who strive to, irrespective of whether or not they have any great talent.) But hey, she’s sold a zillion books and has probably made a sizeable chunk of change doing so, so good luck to her.

So back to the book............mildly interesting at the points where Ana interacts with others, sex parts – dull, tedious and repetitive. Worst parts – Ana’s continual naval-gazing where she ponders her Christian, and the situation and anticipates seeing her hunk of Steele, but not before getting in touch with her inner-goddess first. The only mildly interesting person in the book is Christian’s gopher, Taylor but that’s probably because he sits on the edge of things most of the time. I did find myself pondering my naval and trying to get in touch with my inner god, to see if perhaps Taylor knocked out Christian with a tyre iron, having finally decided he was fed-up being a paid slave, and whether could he be the right man for Ana....... but hey, life like a lot of books you read, doesn’t always turn out as you hope.

I do wonder whether, Ana’s Christian, that abusive, controlling gazillionaire hunk of a man who, perfect in every way will finally start expelling fragrant diamond-encrusted stools in an effort to finally put the seal on their troubled relationship.

Anyway Ana and Christian, Christian and Ana......roll on book 3....crikes, I can hardly wait!

2 OUT OF 5 ( )
  col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
After all the hype I was expecting something... more. Even the sexy parts were not all that great. I skipped over most of them. ( )
  anitahavel | Apr 1, 2014 |
Intimidada por las peculiares prácticas eróticas y los oscuros secretos del atractivo y atormentado empresario Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele decide romper con él y embarcarse en una nueva carrera profesional en una editorial de Seattle. Pero el deseo por Christian todavía domina cada uno de sus pensamientos y, cuando finalmente él le propone retomar su romance, Ana no puede resistirse. Reanudan entonces su tórrida y sensual relación, pero mientras Christian lucha contra sus propios demonios del pasado, Ana debe tomar la decisión más importante de su vida… ( )
  sofi2911 | Mar 30, 2014 |
I don't understand these books. The writing is horrible, the story itself is dull and predictible, and yet I stay up way past my bedtime reading them.

This one was worst than the first one. The quest for a vanilla sex relationship took the "Oh! Naughty!" aspect off the table for 90 % of the book. But I will say, the fact that Jack is the one that tried to kill Grey will make me read the third.

What can I say, I'm an idiot. I have hope! ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
After the way the first book ended, I had to keep reading. And this is a mostly enjoyable read, though it loses steam somewhere around the middle of the book. Ana's insecurities really started grating on my nerves (not to mention the fact that she routinely goes all day without eating- what is up with that??). Even though it's called Fifty Shades Darker, this book was not darker than the first, in my opinion. Ana starts to miss Dom Christian and so do I, truthfully. Vanilla is good, but it was the dark chocolate ribbon that made the book appealing to start with.

Again, the editing was an issue throughout. There were missing periods, extra periods, missing quotation marks, and several places where she overused the same phrase. She wakes to Christian wrapped around her "like a vine" three or four times, if I recall.

There were some beautifully romantic scenes as the two find their way together, and I loved the way James used his fear of being touched to show the progression and trust in their relationship. And, of course, the witty email exchanges from the first book were back in book two, which was lovely.

A good book, but not as exciting or intriguing as the first. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
For Z and J
You have my unconditional love, always.
He's come back.

Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven, and demanding Fifty Shades.

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront her anger and envy of the women who came before her and make the most important decision of her life.

Erotic, sparkling and suspenseful, Fifty Shades Darker is the irresistibly addictive second part of the Fifty Shades trilogy.

from website

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades Trilogy #2) by E. L. James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,567,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible