Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (original 2011; edition 2012)

by E. L. James

4,0792351,245 (3.41)1 / 99
Member:kkretschmann
Title:Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Authors:E. L. James
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:*****

Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James (2011)

English (228)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  All (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All (240)
Ugh ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
I must say that having now read two of the Fifty Shades books, I really don’t understand why they’ve gotten such a bad rap. I realize they aren’t going to be everyone’s cup of tea, and with wildly popular books like these, they’re going to pick up some curious readers who don’t typically read the romance genre, but that IMHO, is more a reader problem than a genuine issue with the books. Is the writing absolutely perfect? Perhaps, not. There is some repetition, but in an otherwise wonderful story, that’s a very minor thing that’s easily overlooked, at least for me. Fifty Shades Darker was every bit as enjoyable as Fifty Shades of Grey. As a whole, these books are deeply romantic and emotionally complex in ways that many other romances aren’t. The characterizations are extremely well done, exhibiting depth and complexity as well. Christian and Anastasia each go through a fair bit of growth in this book, learning to compromise with each other in their relationship, while also dealing with some very stressful situations caused by external factors. Yet they always come out stronger as a couple in the end. Fifty Shades Darker concluded on a much higher romantic note than the previous book, but there’s still a bit of a cliffhanger in the reveal that someone is out to do Christian and Ana harm, which is still going to make it difficult to wait for the final installment. Like with this one, though, I’m going to force myself to engage in delayed gratification by taking a little break over the month of December to read new releases by a couple of my favorite authors, as well as some Christmas stories, but it’s going to be tough.:-)

I think I may love Christian more after reading this book than I already did, if that’s even possible.:-) After the way the first book ended, I knew something would have to change for him to reconcile with Anastasia. Without giving too much away, I can say that I absolutely love Christian's way of apologizing and groveling. He’s vulnerable even though he's still trying to stay in control. He also has a way of expressing his love without actually saying the words. I'd have totally caved too.;-) I also liked how he already started opening up a little about his past in the first chapters and how he was willing to take things slower at Ana's pace. Christian tears at my heart, because sometimes he's like a lost little boy who needs reassurance and to simply know that he’s loved, even though he doesn’t think he’s lovable. I love his protectiveness, even if it is a little stalkerish at times. I fully understand that his need to protect Ana, his fixation with food, and his general need for control stem from his early childhood abuse. Occasionally he can be a bit aggravating, particularly with his reticence about his past, but I like how Ana challenges him to see things differently and how he's willing to make accommodations for her. Also his frustrating moments don’t last long before being quickly mitigated by him doing or saying something sweet. And when he finally does open up and completely let Ana in, it’s so heart-wrenching and emotional, but so beautiful at the same time. I love how Christian continues to experience a lot of firsts with Ana, things that he’s never done with or for any other woman. I like that he does his best to protect her from the exs who start causing trouble for them, and it’s so wonderful how she makes him see everything in a whole new light and that he’s willing to change so much for her. I felt like these things showed that Ana means far more to him than anyone or anything else.

Ana is a lovely young woman, who is mature beyond her years. She still finds it difficult to understand why a gorgeous man like Christian wants plain little old her, but she knows that she loves her Fifty to distraction and can’t live without him. That doesn’t stop her from worrying that she might not be enough for him because of his proclivities, but she gradually comes to a place of accepting what is true in the present and trying not to borrow trouble. In spite of numerous shocking revelations, Ana is so very loving, forgiving, and understanding of Christian's past, including his exs who cause her no end of grief in this book. That doesn't mean she's a pushover, though. I love how she stands up to Mrs. Robinson. Grrr … that woman makes me angry too. And I also loved how she didn’t let her pervy boss get the upper hand on her either. In addition to standing up to others, she usually doesn’t hesitate to tell Christian when something is bothering her, which shows that she won’t be a doormat even with the man she loves. When his actions hurt her, she gently works with him, probing and asking questions to get him to see her point of view. Ana is so very patient with Christian, especially with his reticence about his past. I love how she's willing to compromise in their relationship, in the same way that Christian compromises for her and that she actually enjoys some of his kinks.;-)

Before I started reading Fifty Shades Darker, I was a little concerned that the “darker” might mean that Christian and Ana would be going to some darker sexual places, but if anything it was the exact opposite. That’s not to say this book wasn’t super sexy, because it most definitely was. They just explore a different aspect of their sexual relationship that’s sweeter and eliminates the fear, while exercising an even higher level of trust and compromise. To me, those are two of the most important elements in any real relationship and what makes these books so genuinely romantic to me. The “darker” aspect was really more about them navigating the treacherous waters of Christian’s past and overcoming the outside forces that threaten their happiness. It’s a beautiful love story that’s about two people, one who’s deeply broken but trying to find his way out of the dark, and the other who is completely accepting of him, flaws and all, coming together and figuring out what the future holds for them. I couldn’t have written a more perfect and wonderful romance if I tried. I’m completely enamored of both Christian and Ana, and I can’t wait to see how this journey ends for them in the final installment.

Note: This book contains explicit language and sexual situations, including bondage, spanking, an act of public intimacy, use of sex toys, and anal play, which some readers may find offensive. ( )
  mom2lnb | Dec 12, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. The second of the 50 shades trilogy. It is better than the first book and had ended pretty well. A seemingly perfect introduction to the third book and makes you want to read it. I will be reading the third and final book in the trilogy next. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Oct 31, 2016 |
Fifty Shades Darker

The Characters:

Anna Steele
Christian Gray

The Story:

I am not a 50 Shades fan. I only read this book because I know there will be a movie night with my friends/book club and I wanted to know what happens before I watch. Let’s be real I’m not really going to watch I’m going to have my comedy routine going like when we watched the first part. With that said, I was still unimpressed with these two. Their story isn’t bad but the repetitiveness and Anna’s immaturity make me constantly roll my eyes. I think the author is trying to convey Anna’s “innocence” but she really just makes her sound like an idiot sometimes.

I was prepared to move on with my life and not revisit this world again (well until the next movie came out) but Ms James snagged me with a cliffhanger that has so much potential I HAVE to read/listen to the next book soon. I just hope this potential is realized. ::fingers crossed::

The Random Thoughts:

2 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 3, 2016 |
The addition of conflicts (beyond the contrived interpersonal crap between Ana and Grey) was a pleasant surprise. The timeline in this book feels horribly *off* however. It seems to take place over the course of two weeks, yet more happens in that time than could be reasonably expected to happen in six months; for example, Christian bitching out Ana repeatedly about using her Blackberry to email him and then - what? two days? - later Christian's fears regarding her emails are realized. I work IT and have access to around 700 individuals' email accounts and I think I've only ever found reason to go into any of them three times in four years.

As to the sex, it was far more copious than in the previous book, but I still don't see any real kink. It's all *hinted* at, everything Christian ideally would like from Ana, but so far I've not seen anything that would so much as warrant a "trigger" tag in a fanfiction forum. I don't get why this is any more lurid than typical Harlequin smut.

*shrugs* People are weird. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 27, 2016 |
For Z and J
You have my unconditional love, always.
He's come back.
Congratulations on your first day at work.
I hope it went well.
And thank you for the glider. That was very thoughtful.
It has pride of place on my desk.
Christian

Two Cases of Wine of Your Choice form Alban Estates-
Alban Estates

Two VIP Tickets for XTY on Concert-
Mrs. L. Yesyov

Race Day at Daytona-EMC Britt Inc.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, First Edition-

One-Week Stay Aboard the SusieCue Yacht (Six Berths),
Moored in St. Lucia-Dr. &Mrs. Larin

One Week at Lake Adriana, Montana (Sleeps Eight)-
Mr. & Dr. Grey
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again…
Congratulations, Miss Steele
And all on your own!
No help form your over friendly, neighborhood, megalomaniac CEO
Love
Christian

Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven, and demanding Fifty Shades.

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront her anger and envy of the women who came before her and make the most important decision of her life.

Erotic, sparkling and suspenseful, Fifty Shades Darker is the irresistibly addictive second part of the Fifty Shades trilogy.

from website

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades Trilogy #2) by E. L. James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,431,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible