Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (original 2011; edition 2012)

by E. L. James

3,2091671,732 (3.41)1 / 93
Member:lease4985
Title:Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Authors:E. L. James
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:*

Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James (2011)

English (159)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (170)

Another great book in the series. However I wish Ana would grow the heck up. Hopefully she grows in the next book and Christian gets through his issues. Only thing I didn't like was the ending.... ( )
  Kimmykay0302 | Apr 13, 2015 |

Kimmykay0302 | Apr 13, 2015 |
I am fairly certain that 80% of this book was copied and pasted from the first book. There is less plot and more manipulation and obsessive controlling billionaires. Another reviewer wrote it best when they said:

"Lips bitten: 25, Eyes widened: 21, Eyes rolled: 51, "oh my": 45, Scowls: 48, Gasps: 62, "jeez": 76, Smirks: 91, Flushes/blushes: 133, F-bombs dropped: 173, & Whispers: 251

Do the math! Lips are bitten and eyes are widened in every chapter. Someone gasps once every six pages. The main character "flushes" at least once every three pages.

Yes, the British author uses British colloquialisms that make no sense in the Pacific Northwest. Yes, the female protagonist is two dimensional and boring. Yes, her leading man is given a forced and contrived backstory in an unnecessary attempt to make sense of his kinkiness in a vanilla world. The sex scene was okay the first time I read it, but by the time it was recycled for the twelfth time or so it was just boring. And yes, in between the repetitions listed above the author inexplicably throws whatever was on her "word a day calendar" into character conversation where it sounds silly and awkward. But none of these things really destroy a good book quite like reading "I flush" for the hundredth time."

The author laughs every time someone buys this book, and somewhere a fairy falls over dead because of it. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
DISCLAIMER: This is a review of an audiobook.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

“Fifty Shades Darker” by E.L. James is the second installment in a romantic/erotic trilogy Fifty Shades. After Anastasia Steele, a beautiful college graduate, decides that Christian Grey’s, a young, handsome, insanely rich but damaged entrepreneur’s, singular erotic tastes are too much to handle, she walks out on him and tries to focus on her new career in publishing. However, neither of them can stay away from each other for long. Ana and Christian soon rekindle their relationship, which becomes stronger than ever. Christian makes every effort to leave his past behind and start a new life with Ana, but some demons are not that easy to get rid of, especially if they want you back.

1) Becca Battoe still rocks.
Listening to the first book in the series, “Fifty Shades of Grey,” I admired Becca Battoe’s passionate narration and colorful intonations that suited the story perfectly. In “Fifty Shades Darker,” Battoe yet again plays her part flawlessly. In fact, I think she made the book sound better than it actually is.

COULD BE BETTER:

1) Broken spell.
Besides the praise for Battoe’s narration, I take back anything positive I said about this series while reviewing the first book. I was clearly intoxicated by a heart-fluttering “Twilight”-type love story. However, the charm finally wore off, and I regained my critical thinking.

2) Unhealthy relationship.
A sweet love story is gone as Ana and Christian’s relationship now seems to be dominated by lust and bodily desire. To make matters worse, Ana blames herself for everything, keeps apologizing, and is kind of afraid of Christian and his unexpected mood swings. Also, since Christian is “fifty shades of fucked up” and frequently gets mad for no god reason, and Ana often acts rather dumb and childishly stubborn, they are CONSTANTLY fighting over stupid things. Call me pessimistic, but such relationship has “doomed” written all over it.

3) Unrealistic.
Contrary to what I said in my review of “Fifty Shades of Grey” (told you, I was spellbound), I found the story and characters in “Fifty Shades Darker” quite unrealistic. Although the story might pass as an escapist fantasy, Christian’s perfection is clearly overdone (young, handsome, rich, influential, caring, smart, fluent in French, expert in bed as well as playing piano, sailing, gliding, flying a helicopter… Well, you got the idea). Also, even though Christian is seriously messed up, Anna magically changes him… in less than a month.

4) One-dimensional heroine.
I quote myself: “And Ana… yes, she might seem a little bit immature, but give the girl a break - she is in love!” Well, scratch that. Ana is not blinded by love, she is simply obtuse. Except for an occasional witty remark, nothing interesting comes out of her mouth or happens in her head, as she keeps repeating the same things over and over, makes a big fuss over nothing and creates problems where none exist. In addition, she is full of self-loathing, doubt and often is unbearably melodramatic. And although she keeps emphasizing that she doesn’t care about Christian’s wealth, I’ve started thinking otherwise.

5) Repetitive and annoying.
In my previous review, I mentioned that the sex scenes were rather repetitive and soon enough became the boring part of the story. Well, it got even worse, to the point where I started tuning out. Unfortunately, there was not much going on besides the sex… Also, many parts of the story were overly melodramatic. Such parts at first made me laugh, then roll my eyes and finally gag.

6) Bad writing.
Repetition, not much of a plot, all that melodrama, one-dimensional characters… I finally see what people mean when they say that James’ writing is quite bad.

VERDICT: 2 out of 5

“Fifty Shades Darker” by E.L. James is a step-down from the first book in the series. It’s VERY repetitive, quite unrealistic and melodramatic with poorly developed characters and boring sex as the main part of the plot, but… somehow I still want to know how the story ends.

POST SCRIPTUM:

It might help looking at this series with humor, just as John Summers from Mumbles, South Wales did in his priceless poem. ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | Mar 14, 2015 |
Ok maybe it's trash, and if read as such, it was very entertaining. The book made for some great conversations with my close friends and I wouldn't want my husband to read it (haha) but I had fun with all three books. I liked the characters and especially Christian. I am not happy about young girls and guys reading this and thinking that this is a normal relationship. It's twisted and not normal (to me anyway). The violence bothers me. Read it, talk about it and have some laughs! Is it five star worthy? Only if you read it for what it is, trashy sexy entertainment. It is not literature. ( )
  LASMIT | Mar 11, 2015 |
For Z and J
You have my unconditional love, always.
He's come back.
Congratulations on your first day at work.
I hope it went well.
And thank you for the glider. That was very thoughtful.
It has pride of place on my desk.
Christian

Two Cases of Wine of Your Choice form Alban Estates-
Alban Estates

Two VIP Tickets for XTY on Concert-
Mrs. L. Yesyov

Race Day at Daytona-EMC Britt Inc.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, First Edition-

One-Week Stay Aboard the SusieCue Yacht (Six Berths),
Moored in St. Lucia-Dr. &Mrs. Larin

One Week at Lake Adriana, Montana (Sleeps Eight)-
Mr. & Dr. Grey
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again…
Congratulations, Miss Steele
And all on your own!
No help form your over friendly, neighborhood, megalomaniac CEO
Love
Christian

Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven, and demanding Fifty Shades.

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront her anger and envy of the women who came before her and make the most important decision of her life.

Erotic, sparkling and suspenseful, Fifty Shades Darker is the irresistibly addictive second part of the Fifty Shades trilogy.

from website

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades Trilogy #2) by E. L. James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,557,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible