How I Got This Way by Regis Philbin

How I Got This Way

by Regis Philbin

Lets start by saying that I really do love Regis and anyone who does will like the book. That said many of the stories he tells (and he is the best at that) you have probably heard or seen live if you are a fan. Also, Regis is the consummate name dropper and he really out does himself in this book. No chapter on Gelman? This book is a series of essays about people who have affected his life. That said, It was good for a Regis fix for those of us who enjoyed his host chats over the years. ( )
  muddyboy | Jul 23, 2012 |
This was a good book to read while walking. Each of the 30 chapters ran between 15 and 30 minutes. I found the first half of the book a bit more interesting than the second half...no doubt because it was the first half that spent time discussing Philbin's LIFE and not his thoughts about other people.

When he moved to discussing other people, it was often to tell how much the other person liked him, but not always. I was surprised to hear how much Regis admires Donald Trump! But was happy to hear that Charles Grodin is a truly nice person.

I don't think I would have given the book 3.5 stars had it been a print edition. But it was harmless to walk with, and didn't require particular remembering of what preceded the current chapter. ( )
  kaulsu | Apr 9, 2012 |

Sure, he’s an excitable guy.
Sure, he loves to complain.
But Regis Philbin loves life . . . and with the wildly unpredictable one he’s led so far, who wouldn’t? After five decades in show business—and nearly 17,000 unforgettable hours on television—he has a lifetime’s worth of stories to share.

In this entertaining memoir, the irrepressible Reege—consummate talk-show host, man-about-town, loving husband, father, and yes, obsessive sports fan—looks back at his years in show business. How I Got This Way is filled with stories of lessons learned—and elbows rubbed—with extraordinary, and often unsuspecting, teachers: David Letterman; Donald Trump; George Clooney; Howard Stern; Jack Nicholson; legendary Notre Dame coaches Frank Leahy, Ara Parseghian, and Lou Holtz; and, of course, longtime cohosts Kathie Lee Gifford and Kelly “Pippa” Ripa; as well as his own lovely wife, Joy—to name just a few.

Whether he’s revealing what really drove him “bonkers” on the set of Seinfeld, how he survived the first known bomb scare on live TV, what Jack Nicholson said about his beautiful leading ladies during their guys’ night out together, or poignant memories of his last moments with his idol and dear friend, Jack Paar, Regis packs every page with his signature heart, wit, dynamic energy, and gratitude for everything life has brought him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

The beloved TV icon shares the secrets to success and happiness as he has learned them from his innumerable celebrity encounters, friendships and of course, from his relationship with his loving wife and family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,352,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible