What the Nanny Saw by Fiona Neill

What the Nanny Saw (edition 2012)

by Fiona Neill

Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:***
Tags:er, London, financial crisis

What the Nanny Saw by Fiona Neill

I listened to the Tantor media audio edition of this book. I received it as a gift from the publisher. I enjoyed it a lot. Very good narrator. Very timely plot. Interesting look inside the lives of the rich and super rich. I enjoyed the characters. They were very full and felt very real. Good solid book. Wonderful audio presentation. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Slow, but still a good read. Ali the nanny is a bit flat as a character but I suppose she serves as the lens through which her employers, the Skinners are seen by the readers. Not bad. I'm intrigued enough by this author to want to read Slummy Mummy, her debut novel. ( )
  applessixeleven | Oct 12, 2013 |
Chosen as something light and easy to read whilst ill, it's actually quite annoying. There is a lot of clumsy exposition, written as if the characters were saying it in 2006, about matters that would be involved in the financial crisis in 2008. Ali (the nanny and main character) isn't terribly believable as a 23-year old student ... I get the feeling she's mostly just a vehicle for what the author would do in the situation. The spelling of her name can be confusing to the flow of the story, as it immediately brings to mind a man from an asian background; the version Ally (or just a different name altogether) would have been more fitting.

The characters of the wealthy bankers and their family are not *always* stereotypical, at least, and can sometimes be cartoonishly entertaining. They're more interesting and lively than Ali, certainly.

This book is massive for what it is, at nearly 550 pages. It probably would have been a lot snappier and more entertaining at 250.

Read (and abandoned) 4-7 Dec 2011. ( )
  antonomasia | Aug 15, 2013 |
Won a copy through Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

It was very well written and definitely kept my attention. Would make for a good Lifetime movie. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was actually a pretty dark book, in my opinion. Ali, the Nanny, tells the story of her employer in such a way that I envisioned dark curtains and a low whispering voice. She seems, at times, to be a spectator, observing the crazy family she actually becomes a part of. Other times, she seems to be completely involved.

I often feel like the contrarian with my reviews, because I liked this book. The characters were interesting, not endearing characters, but developed and conflicted.
  traciragas | Mar 11, 2013 |

When her privileged employers become the focus of a financial scandal at the height of the economic crash, a trusted nanny finds her loyalties tested by a reporter who taps her as an insider with unique perspectives into what various family members have hidden from each other.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What the Nanny Saw by Fiona Neill was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,711,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible