Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding…

Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by William Shatner, Chris Regan

Member:LisaMaria_C
Title:Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World at Large
Authors:William Shatner
Other authors:Chris Regan
Info:NAL Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:non-fiction, humor, biography, memoir, Gerri's Gift, autobiography, Star Trek

Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World at Large by William Shatner (2011)

700 (2) 2011 (1) 2012 (1) 2014 (1) acting (2) actors (7) audiobook (2) autobiography (8) biography (10) book (2) celebrity (2) cost=75 (1) ebook (2) First Edition (2) goodreads (1) hcx (2) Hollywood (2) humor (12) loc791 (2) memoir (5) movies (2) non-fiction (18) philosophy (2) read (2) ST (1) Star Trek (6) television (2) to-read (4) unread (2) William Shatner (3)

This is a humorous book that addresses the rules by which William Shatner has worked - such as his number one rule - always say yes. The book provides insights into his career, including his three-year stint on Star Trek. But that was only one of several successful TV serieses with which he has been associeated. This is not a deep book, but it is amusing. ( )
  EowynA | Jul 2, 2013 |
A touching, funny look at life from a man who says he's done it all. It was interesting to see the "real" William Shatner behind the facade he puts up on TV. I picked this up as a break from the more serious books I've been reading. Would only really recommend it to Shatner fans though. ( )
  Shirezu | Mar 31, 2013 |
ON THINGS THAT SHATNER SAYS

1) This "fifty-thousand-word rulebook/memoir" is a surprisingly fun and funny book. Not for me laugh-out-loud funny, but often smile-worthy. No doubt Shatner's co-author Chris Regan (in the small type), a writer for The Daily Show, had a lot to do with that. By the way, you may not want to read this book while balancing a cup of hot tea on your stomach. Well, while getting over a cold. If you don't laugh, the coughing fit can still get you.

2) It's a good thing given frequent snap quizzes I can read upside-down. (Don't have to reverse the book for the answer keys.)

3) Shatner's more than a little mean to his Star Trek co-stars. On the other hand, his co-stars do seem viciously mean to him. (See, Chapter 6) Or just google. You don't have to take his word for it.

4) For someone raised a nice Jewish boy, Shatner apparently had no problem providing wild boar for dinner--with bow and arrow. Of course, the experience did make him a vegetarian for a while. For a really hair-raising story though, you should hear about him and the fried turkey. I'm not making this up! (See, Chapter 9.)

5) I'm not sure however Shatner (or Regan) didn't make up that story about Shatner and his kidnapped undies. (See, Chapter 8)

6) Shatner is definitely a Canadian. Only a Canadian would take such pride that Canadians are above all a polite people. He's also a native of Quebec, and even a Francophone, which might explain a lot about how he enunciates the English language. (See, Chapter 2)

7) Also? He can proudly claim to be the "Top Esperanto Box Office Draw." (See, Chapter 10)

8) Shatner actually takes his singing seriously. Yes, seriously. Well, so did Yoko Ono. (See, Chapter 14)

9) Shatner can make Rush Limbaugh cry. (See, Chapter 20)

10) If you're a really, really big Shatner fan, unlike just a Star Trek and Kirk fan like me, add two stars to the rating. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 23, 2012 |
I loved this book but then....William Shatner is one of my favorite Canadians and actors. This book was laugh-out-loud funny and there are a couple of surprises about the actor/author as well.

Full review (but not a long one) may be found at Novel Meals:
http://novelmeals.wordpress.com/2012/02/... ( )
  SquirrelHead | Feb 22, 2012 |
William Shatner's rules for life. Quite entertaining and humorous; Bill explains how he separates himself from William Shatner, and is able to laugh at himself. He also comes across as a fairly lighthearted individual at most times, able to see the comedic side of life. He read the audiobook himself, which lends to its appeal. A quick, funny listen. ( )
  pcboo | Jan 3, 2012 |
Shatner Rules is nothing except that which it purports to be. It’s an entertaining walk through Shatnerville, one where the regular tourists can admire the familiar scenery, and where newcomers can chuckle at their newfound surroundings. There’s a distinct been there, done that, feeling for the Shatner Faithful.
added by hf22 | editNational Post, Matt Hartley (Dec 9, 2011)

I've gotten to the age where I am counting every precious minute, so although none of us knows what is going to happen next, the dice are loaded for me having less time than more. So it seems that I should give a giant shout-out to everything meaningful in my life, 'cause you never know when you are going to get another shout-out. So to my wife, my daughters, my grandchildren, my dogs, my horses, and my friends, I hope I see you all tomorrow. And I'd also like to give a shout-out to Chris Regan, who is a terrific guy, a wonderful writer, and a new friend.
Introduction: I, William Shatner, am now eighty years of age, and I've been thinking a lot lately about my late mother's eighty-fourth birthday.

You love William Shatner.

You admire his many and varied talents.

You appreciate his creativity and willingness to take risks.

You want to learn his master negotiation techniques.

You wish you could hang out with him.

Admit it. You want to BE William Shatner.

And now...you can (almost).

This collection of rules, illustrated with stories from Bill's illustrious life and career, will show you how Bill became WILLIAM SHATNER, larger than life and bigger than any role he ever played. Shatner Rules is your guide to becoming William Shatner. Or more accurately, beautifully Shatneresque.

Because let's face it...Shatner does rule, doesn't he?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:34 -0400)

The actor best known as Captain Kirk on "Star Trek" shares self-deprecating memories from his on- and off-screen experiences while discussing such topics as his larger-than-life celebrity persona, his career longevity, and his views on modern technology.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible