The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

The Disenchantments

by Nina LaCour

characters reminded me of a dull john green book. i loved the cover but thats about it. the story had interesting ideas but the characters fell flat ( )
  NinaTest | Sep 16, 2016 |
So forgettable. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I want to read the story hidden in the suggestions of the people in this book. Nina LaCour does am amazing job of opening up the characters and letting you troll around in their brains, but you don't get to see everything and are left with a lot of questions. ( )
  Smudgezilla | Nov 3, 2015 |
This book is legit.

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

Colby, Bev, Meg, and Alexa have just graduated from high school, and they're going on tour of the Pacific Northwest in a turquoise Volkswagen bus named Melinda. The Disenchantments are a terrible riot-grrl inspired band with their own pet boy/chauffeur/truth-speaker. They have less than two weeks to tour the Pacific Northwest before they deposit Meg at college in Portland, Alexa returns to S.F. and high school, and Colby and Bev fly to Europe for the big adventure. So when Bev tells Colby that she's going to college instead of Europe, on their first day out of the city, it not only crushes his heart but throws his whole future (and the tour) into question. The show must go on an as Melinda wends her way along the California coast the four teenagers learn about each other and themselves, the world outside San Francisco and high school, and the difference between dreaming big and doing big.

A few weeks ago I read Lola and the Boy Next Door, and noted that the San Francisco of that novel was a sort of Disney-fied, Full House version of the real deal. The Disenchantments is legit. By the eighteenth page I knew that a Bay Area native had written this book, and checking out the author blurb confirmed. It's in the locations, the setting description, the way that the characters view themselves and others...it's in the dialogue:

"Why the fuck not steal a tool kit? That shit is useful."

I laughed out loud so many time reading this novel just because the venues, conversations, and observations are just so dead-on. The Disenchantments tour takes them up the California coast to Arcata, a truly singular place where I finished my college degree. Again, it was clear that the author had not only been to Arcata, but actually lived there. It would be so easy to slip into stereotypes for that little city where the sixties never ended. The description of driving into Fort Bragg, scene of The Disenchantments first disenchanting experience, where the world goes gray is hilariously accurate.

The novel is very rich due to the author's genuine familiarity with the people and places she is writing about: the hopelessness of Fort Bragg, the anything-can-happen weirdness of Arcata, the initial appeal and swift boredom of Weaverville, and the clean promise of Portland. The girls and Colby discover that nothing about their summer is turning into what they thought it would be, but in some ways it's better, because it's real. Each of the characters has a distinct perspective and journey, and LaCour blends these and their journey together into a rich, true-to-life narrative.

The character development in this novel is outstanding. Each character is so well written that by novel's end I felt like I could predict what each would do in any given situation. La Cour juggles the complexities of the different relationships beautifully: Alexa and Meg as sisters who are different but loving, Colby's love for Bev but his uncertainty about her feelings, Bev as the guarded frontwoman for the band and social group. It stirred up a lot of emotion: I felt angry, happy, sad, melancholy, hopeful...the full range while reading this novel.

It's a beautiful journey written with love by an insider. East-Coasters just don't write West-Coasters like this. Satisfying. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
I enjoyed the Disenchantments by Nina LaCour far more than I actually thought that I would. This YA coming-of-age story is about four friends on their last fling before moving on with their lives. Having just graduated from high school and with plans that will separate them, they go on a week long road trip which includes play dates for their three girl rock and roll band. After their week long trip, Meagan is on her way to Portland to university, her sister, Alexa will be going home to San Francisco for her last year of high school and Colby and Bev have plans to take a gap year and travel through Europe. Colby feels completely ambushed when Bev, who he thinks is the love of his life, tells him that instead of going travelling with him, she is going off to a prestigious art college.

The story is told from Colby’s point of view, the only male on the trip. His voice comes across as fresh and authentic as he tries to come up with a plan to carry him forward in a Bev-less life.. Although I thought I was in for a story of teen longing and anguish, there was enough humor and interesting moments to overcome the over-emoting that was going on. Even this excess emotion felt right in the context of the story as, at 18, everything from the lyrics of a song to getting a splinter seems to be significant and symbolic.

For me what raised The Disenchantments up a notch is how the author was able to bring these quirky characters to life, and, by capturing the events in this one week road trip we can see how friendships can evolve and change. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 6, 2014 |

Colby's post-high school plans have long been that he and his best friend Beth would tour with her band, then spend a year in Europe, but when she announces that she will start college just after the tour, Colby struggles to understand why she changed her mind and what losing her means for his future.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nina LaCour's book The Disenchantments was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,421,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible