Touch (A Denazen Novel) by Jus Accardo

Touch (A Denazen Novel) (edition 2012)

by Jus Accardo

Series: Denazen (1)

Member:LaurynApril
Title:Touch (A Denazen Novel)
Authors:Jus Accardo
Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:Paranormal, Romance, Young Adult

Touch by Jus Accardo

Seventeen year-old Dez lives with her Dad in a smallish city where he heads up the supposed law firm of Denazen. She's a seemingly typical bad girl rebel and one night after leaving a party finds a bay, Kale, on the run from people who have been holding him captive. She helps him get away and subsequently discovers that her father and Denazen are the ones he is running from. Kale has been help captive as long as he can remember and Denazen uses him to "punish" people with his death touch. It turns out that many of the local children and teens have various powers and they have organized and want to discover a way to stop Denazen and free the ones being held captive. There are twists, betrayals, and adventures aplenty. There is also a lot of sex for a YA novel so only for older teens.

Being YA, this was a quick read and the first in a series, but a series that I am in no hurry to continue. Other authors have done the 'evil adults using teens with powers' story better. At least it was a cheap Daily Deal on Amazon about a year ago. If it had been a physical book it would now be on the discard stack.
  hailelib | Mar 18, 2014 |
An unbelievably amazing read. Fast paced and action packed. Very intriguing concept with surprising villains, not the expected bad guy found in a PNR book. Great characters too, Dez is my kind of heroine, she's brave, extremely secure in herself, and kind of a bad ass. Love Kale, it was so fascinating to see things through his eyes. I think he brought a lot to the story and I hope he doesn't change too much as he learns more about life and the world outside. Very cool story can't wait to devour more of this series. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

This book has everything this girl could ever want. It has a terrific story, interesting and amusing characters, fantastic world-building, paranormal activities and a great protagonist in the form of a real down-to-earth girl. The cherry on the top was the totally adorable male protagonist. Kale is just too adorable for words and so innocent. The way he looks at the world, like he’s never seen it before, it makes you think twice about every day stuff. He’s also capable of asking the most embarrassing questions, without realizing. I really pitied Dez at the moment, cause how will you explain? And don’t forget the joy with which he discovers new things! *sigh* I was a puddle of goo after only a few pages in and ready to hurt anybody who dared hurting him. This bond only grew deeper as I got to know him more. *sigh* May he be always be this innocent, cute and funny!

I liked Dez a lot too. Not as much as Kale (sorry, but who can win against an innocent handsome guy with a trauma?), but she, too, has her good points. Mainly being a kick-ass heroine. Something I don’t see that much in YA. Sorry, let me phrase this a bit better: a kick-ass heroine who DOESN’T do the most idiotic things I’ve ever seen. Indeed a are sight to behold! Even though I’d preferred she beat a bit more through the bush and has a bit more patience, she’s capable of seeing the consequences of her actions. To think what will happen if she acts like an idiot. And she has a great sense of humor to boot!

The story itself was also a delight to read! Exactly the right amount of suspense, alternated with humor and surprising discoveries. At times the book really kept me on the edge of my seat! Mainly because time and time again it was hard to gauge the true motives of the characters in the book. Are they truly helping Dez and Kale? Or are they just pretending too? This made the story so more exciting and intriguing…

And then there was the world-building: fantastic! A world full of people with paranormal powers. An evil society bend on using those powers for their own gain. Oh what a great set up! I especially liked the detailed way the powers were depicted. There were lots of familiar powers, but also ones I’ve never heard of before. Like the man who could turn into a panda or the boy who ate fire! It was a true delight to discover all of them. What a well-thought world this was!

Conclusion

4 HEARTS. It was an amazing book with one of the most adorable and innocent guy I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. There’s also a kick-as heroine, a story that will keep you on edge and a wonderful world to discover. So what more could you want? I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal or romance and it’s a must read for lovers of both ;) ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 22, 2013 |
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile ( )
  karlaihdez | Sep 20, 2013 |
For Kevin…
Every miracle in my life is because of you.
I couldn’t see them, but I knew they were there, waiting at the bottom.

Seventeen-year-old Deznee Cross teams up with Kale, an escapee from the Denazen Corporation, an outfit that collects "special" kids known as Sixes and turns them into weapons. They join a group of rogue Sixes to try to bring down Denazen before they are caught and before Dez's father discovers the secret she has protected her entire life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible