Dubliners (Norton Critical Edition) by James…

Dubliners (Norton Critical Edition) (edition 2006)

by James Joyce, Margot Norris (Editor)

Member:jburlinson
Title:Dubliners (Norton Critical Edition)
Authors:James Joyce
Other authors:Margot Norris (Editor)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2006), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 412 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Irishters

Dubliners (Norton Critical Edition) by James Joyce

Reading Dubliners for the first time, someone could possibly expect Joyce to praise the city where he spent many of his formative years with an idyllic or pleasant homage, but instead he explores through dark and complex characterizations how the men and women of Dublin are made stagnant by their environment. . Joyce’s Dublin appears not as a city, but as a mother that swallows its young, a destructive vacuum of religious indoctrination and individual isolation that offers no exit. ( )
1 vote poetontheone | Feb 23, 2014 |
I really enjoyed these short stories, and I must say what I enjoyed most about this addition was the footnotes and critical essays. I have really gotten used to reading "classics" with explanatory footnotes and critical essays!

Of this short stories, I really enjoyed the last few dealing more with older and middle aged characters. I especially liked "A Mother" and "Grace".

Adrianne

Edit: After reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man I have no interest in keeping this book and/or reading or rereading any of Joyce's works. ( )
  Adrianne_p | Feb 4, 2012 |
First Joyce book and though some of the stories confused me a bit, I'd have to say I enjoyed it. Definately will read more by him and am very interested in reading a biography about him, James Joyce seemed like a very fascinating man. ( )
  briannad84 | Oct 13, 2011 |
I recently reviewed the text of Dubliners when I read it in another edition, so this review is about the supplementary material that comes in the Norton Critical Edition, which is the reason I bought this (even though I already own another copy of the book). I love Nortons. They include contextual material and critical reviews, contemporary to when the story came out and more modern. After reading Dubliners on my own, and without the support of other people to discuss it with, I decided that I wanted to dig a little deeper.

The contextual materials here are different from other critical editions that I've read before, which generally consisted of articles or reviews of the book upon publication. Instead, the editor has amassed photographs and maps of Dublin from the period that Joyce was describing in his stories to help make the vivid stories even more concrete, along with a couple of earlier versions of some of them. The critical essays did not cover all of the stories, just eight of the fifteen, but they certainly address them from different angles. Some of the authors look at symbolic interpretations, others at political overlays, and one delves in to linguistic interpretations and how they reflect on the meaning of the story.

Definitely reading these essays made me reflect on the stories in Dubliners in new ways. I'm not going to spend time recapping the analysis in each article, because that is what the book is for. Suffice it to say that I appreciated the articles and the thoughts in them. This book was exactly what I wanted when I ordered it, a collection of excellent resources for better understanding a seminal work of literature. ( )
  nmhale | Feb 16, 2011 |
Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

Dubliners is arguably the best-known and most influential collection of short stories written in English, and has been since its publication in 1914.

Through what Joyce described as their "style of scrupulous meanness," the stories present a direct, sometimes searing view of Dublin in the early twentieth century. The text of this Norton Critical Edition is based on renowned Joyce scholar Hans Walter Gabler’s edited text and includes his editorial notes and the introduction to his scholarly edition, which details and discusses Dubliners’ complicated publication history. "Contexts" offers a rich collection of materials that bring the stories and the Irish capital to life for twenty-first century readers, including photographs, newspaper articles and advertising, early versions of two of the stories, and a satirical poem by Joyce about his publication woes. "Criticism" brings together eight illuminating essays on the most frequently taught stories in Dubliners—"Araby," "Eveline," "After the Race," "The Boarding House," "Counterpoints," "A Painful Case," and "The Dead." Contributors include David G. Wright, Heyward Ehrlich, Margot Norris, James Fairhall, Fritz Senn, Morris Beja, Roberta Jackson, and Vincent J. Cheng. 8 maps; 20 illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:50 -0400)

From the publisher. This volume continues the masterly unabridged reading of the short stories. It contains the last five stories from the collection: A Painful Case, Ivy Day in the Committee Room, A Mother, Grace, and perhaps the most welt-known of all the stories (and the longest), The Dead.… (more)

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible