The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr.…

by Trenton Lee Stewart, Diana Sudyka (Illustrator)

Member:SebastianHagelstein
Title:The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums
Authors:Trenton Lee Stewart
Other authors:Diana Sudyka (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, puzzles, riddles, children's

The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums by Trenton Lee Stewart

Recently added byaliterarylion, handrpete0, JacksonPLibrary, dwormkc, private library, Lorem, Ymby

BRCSBooks | Jan 13, 2014 |
Cute little book of puzzles, plus some additional material for fans of the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy. I wouldn't necessarily pay full price for this, particularly in hardcover, but it did provide some hours of diversion and good exercise for my brain, and I did enjoy the excerpt from the "prequel" featuring Nicholas as a young boy. ( )
  bostonian71 | Jun 18, 2013 |
This book has many puzzles and all of them are related to The Mysterious Benedict Society series. Some are very hard. By solving most of the puzzles you can put together a coded sentence in the back of the book. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Feb 20, 2013 |
Puzzles, enigmas, and conundrums! A perfect companion book for the remarkable children who share in the adventures of The Mysterious Benedict Society. It's a wonder that Trenton Lee Stewart didn't think of this earlier!

This new book of puzzles and riddles of all varieties, offers something for MBS fans as well as those who are unfamiliar with the books. The book includes quotes from the novels and character studies of each one of the members, as well as a Table of Contents, Hints, and Useful Resources. Great fun! But a warning - it's not easy! I found myself checking the hints more than once. I didn't attempt all of the trials (there are many), but all appear to require an answer to complete the final challenge. There are hours of entertainment contained in this little volume, illustrated by Diana Sudyka, and printed on glossy paper.
www.shelf-employed.blogspot.com ( )
  shelf-employed | Nov 1, 2011 |
The Mysterious Benedict Society is about solving puzzles and unraveling enigmas. The impression I got when I ordered this was that it would be plot driven. Instead, it is a quiz book with the theme of the MBD pasted on. It is nicely done, but it is just a puzzle book. The preview of the prequel is intreguing, but so far I havn't found anything in this book that increases my appreciation of the series. It is not a read through book, and have been skipping around, so I may be missing some nuggets, but I would not recommend this, unless you are a completionist. There are better puzzle books out there. ( )
  ASBiskey | Oct 14, 2011 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sudyka, DianaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316181935, Hardcover)

Author Interview: Trenton Lee Stewart Interviews Mr. Benedict
Trenton Lee Stewart

Trenton Lee Stewart, author of The Mysterious Benedict Society series, recently sat down with Mr. Nicholas Benedict, the esteemed scientist and intelligence expert, to discuss his new books.

Trenton Lee Stewart: Welcome, Mr. Benedict!

Mr. Benedict: Thank you indeed. Now, why don't we begin with your interest in riddles?

Stewart: My interest? Um, well ... I suppose I've always been drawn to constructive trickery. Riddles, jokes, stories--all these things depend on deception and surprise, yet they also depend on a shared understanding with the audience. Riddles are meant to be solved, just as stories and jokes are meant to be heard. So the successful ones are a sort of collaboration between--sorry, am I going on too long?

Mr. Benedict: [closing his pocket watch] Not at all. Please continue.

Stewart: Let me back up. As a child, I adored a chapter in The Hobbit called "Riddles in the Dark," in which the hero's life depends upon winning a riddle contest... but I feel silly telling you this, Mr. Benedict. You had to solve a real mystery as a boy--when you were a young orphan with narcolepsy, no less--and the stakes were significant. [Smiling at the reader] I give a full account of it in my next book, The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict.

Mr. Benedict: [nodding] A perfectly competent account.

Stewart: Perfectly... competent? Not... not brilliant?

Mr. Benedict: [yawning] Oh, I'm sure it is. And now, a thousand pardons, but I'm afraid I must go.

Stewart: Already? Go where?

Mr. Benedict: [eyelids drooping] To sleep.

Stewart: [catching Mr. Benedict as he slumps forward] Oh, right--the narcolepsy. I guess this, um, concludes our interview, then? Mr. Benedict? Shall I take that snore as a yes?

A Look Inside The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

A special message from Mr. Benedict An elusive enigma worthy of a Society Member Rules of the Society and a Member Bio Two perplexing puzzles compiled by Mr. Benedict

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:19 -0400)

A companion workbook to the best-selling Mysterious Benedict Society series. Presents puzzles, riddles, and brainteasers related to the mysterious Benedict Society, and profiles the society's members and their adventures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,251,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible