Head, Body, Legs: A Story from Liberia by…

Head, Body, Legs: A Story from Liberia

by Won-Ldy Paye, Margaret H. Lippert, Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)

I really did not like this book. First off, I found the illustrations to be really creepy. They just looked like strange shapes to me and I couldn't even tell where the story took place. The only drawings that I liked were the animal drawings. Secondly, I found the actual story very disturbing. The limbs of the body and how they came together was very strange to me. And the wording seemed wrong to me. The way the author phrased all of the sentences seemed grammatically wrong to me. This story was not one that I would ever bring into a classroom. A story where limbs were separated from the body is not a story I would want children to read. ( )
  kstano1 | Sep 24, 2015 |
There are 4 reasons I liked this book. I liked it because it shared a story about working together for the good of all. I also like that the illustrator made the body silly looking. The plot line was well organized, each body part was introduced individually. The language was easy to understand and the story line flowed together well. ( )
  AliciaTrotman | Feb 17, 2015 |
Summary: "Head, Body, Legs" is a traditional literature story from Liberia. The characters Head, Arms, Body, and Legs are all separated in the beginning. On their own, they are unable to complete simple tasks, such as Head not being able to retrieve cherries from a tree to eat. As the story progresses, the different body parts all link up. They decide that they work best together (the sum is greater than its individual parts).
Review: Although this is an ancient folklore, this was my first time reading this story. That being said, I really enjoyed it from start to finish. There is a great message that comes from it: that the body is at its best when all individual parts are working together. For example, a head needs to be fed by arms. Young children will love reading this, not to mention looking at the colorful pictures! ( )
  cclark37 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Book can help students learn the importance of working together. It also review parts of the body and how they work. ( )
  rrobinson2 | Nov 4, 2013 |
I feel like a classmate did this in one of my MLS classes. Either way, using the picture book, making a flannel board or a straight traditional tale this one would be tons of fun. Lots of actions for kids to imitate and slightly silly when Head is still figuring out where to put everyone. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |

Won-Ldy Payeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lippert, Margaret H.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Paschkis, JulieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

A magical retelling of a Liberian creation story

Head is all alone. Body bounces along. Arms swing about. Legs stand around. They can’t do much by themselves, so they try to work together. But how?

This vibrant, joyous retelling of a traditional Liberian creation story shows how much can be accomplished with a little cooperation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

In this tale from the Dan people of Liberia, Head, Arms, Body, and Legs learn that they do better when they work together.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible