A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows: An…

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows: An Outlander Novella (edition 2012)

by Diana Gabaldon

Title:A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows: An Outlander Novella
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (2012), Kindle Edition
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Tags:fiction, short story, fantasy

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by Diana Gabaldon

Short novella finally filling in the pieces of what really happened to Roger Mackenzie's parents, Jerry & Dolly. We get disjointed bits and pieces in the Outlander series, but this is the one place where we, the reader, find out the full story. Touching addition to the series and really a must read for fans of these books. I don't remember off the top of my head where in the series this would fall into place. Research that before you read it so you don't find things out too soon. I think in this case it's better to have your questions answered after you've already gotten sunk into the mystery of it all. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Aug 31, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this short little novella because of the back story it contains about Roger's parents. A quick read that fills in a gap or two in the major novel series, this is well worth the read. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Nov 8, 2014 |
I didn't know what to expect (how could the queen of 1000 page tomes pen a novella?) but I was pleasantly surprised by this little story that clears up what really happened to Roger's parents. I do wish it had lasted longer, but since it was ill-fated to start with, that might have just prolonged the inevitable. I found myself constantly trying to predict what would happen, which is a sign of a good read. Gabaldon's research is incredible, as always. I will admit to being a tad confused in the beginning, as I always think 'Jack' when I see 'Randall' but I eventually clued in that this Randall was Frank. Ha! Definitely worth a read for any Outlander fan. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
I will admit that the Outlander series is a guilty pleasure of mine. Since it falls in the “romance” (btw I really think they should re-catalog these books as historical-fiction, or perhaps even historical-fantasy) genre, I overlooked (AKA mocked) it for many years. Finally I gave the first installment, “Outlander”, a try and I was hooked. Thank goodness for my e-reader; I was able to carry these books around without embarrassment...not to mention the fact that these novels are quite hefty.

If you are also a fan of this series you will know that there are many tributaries of possible tales to be told. “A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows” is one of them. This novella tells the story of what really happened to Roger Wakefield MacKenzie’s parents, Jeremiah “Jerry” and Marjorie “Dolly” MacKenzie. This piece of the amazing Outlander tapestry is interesting because we, as the audience, are really the only characters privy to what exactly transpired.

Author (the word author does not even come close to describing the genius of this woman) Diana Gabaldon has remained true to the feeling of the Outlander world with which we have become familiar. The beloved characters’ voices can be heard in whispers and memories, and the sights and smells are once again remembered. ( )
1 vote storeyonastory | May 28, 2013 |
Where I got the book: purchased on Kindle.

A nice, inventive novella in Gabaldon's usual lively style. Oh, the mess we get into when we have the ability to time travel! There really wasn't time to get to know the characters, but consider that loose thread tied off and if you're looking to fill a couple of hours, you can do worse than grab this bargain. ( )
  JaneSteen | May 2, 2013 |

Orphaned during World War II, Roger believed that his mother died during the London Blitz, and that his father, an RAF pilot, was killed in combat. Roger discovers that this may not be the whole story.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible