This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

This Is Not a Test (edition 2012)

by Courtney Summers

Member:alcarinqa
Title:This Is Not a Test
Authors:Courtney Summers
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, In the blog
Tags:PanMacAU

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

I've loved all of Courtney Summer's book but this one, which marries Courtney Summer's hard-hitting contemporary sensibility with a zombie apocalypse scenario, is probably my favourite. A total nail-biter.
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
Sloane might be the only person who is upset that she has survived the zombie apocalypse. Having unsuccessfully planned a suicide on the day the zombies strike, Sloane now wants to find a way to die without taking any other survivors with her. Trapped in the local high school with 5 other teenagers who made it to safety, Sloane wants to find a way to slip away from the group and meet her end. Is death the only way to escape the memories of her father's abuse or would survival be the best revenge? ( )
  jennifermarkus | Mar 15, 2017 |
Sloane is from a troubled home. Her father physically and emotionally abuses her and her sister, Lily. So when her Lily runs away from home, she feels like her world has ended. Then the zombie apocalypse happens and Sloane, already wrestling with depression, is left with conflicting feelings of whether she wants to live or wants to die - by zombie infection.

It might sound a little campy when put that way, but Courtney Summers’s This is Not a Test was a good read. Sloane is already considering taking her own life when she finds herself trapped in her old high school with five other students. The story reveals the characters of each student, how they react under pressure, with each other and ultimately their will to survive.

It’s a fast-paced novel, that kept me up, reading into the wee hours of the morning, trying to see when Sloane’s life would be revealed and her motives understood. I found it to be well written; the struggle that Sloane was experiencing was captured well on page.

It didn’t end the way I expected it to, however, I was happy with the ending. I did find Trace’s character a bit annoying, but I begun to understand him closer to the end of the book. The fact is, the characters are very rounded, they sometimes act in unexpected ways, and I was able to appreciate that. The zombies themselves didn’t have a lot of screen time, though the threat was always there, and I liked that it was done this way, so the focus was more on the characters pulling through a dangerous time than an actual zombie apocalypse.

I don’t think this was a very scary read, since it focused more on what was happening inside the school than outside, which is important to remember in order to enjoy this book.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I read a lot of post-apocalyptic, zombie-ish books and the main character is usually someone who is independent and wants to survive at all costs. The unique factor in this book is the main character, Sloane, is actually suicidal. She comes from an abusive home and it is with the aid of some other high schoolers that she happens to make it to the local high school and is bunkered down with them. Sloane isn't necessarily a likeable character, but she is interesting. She goes out of her way to help others because she doesn't care if she lives. Through the story she makes some friends and some enemies. The story has a decent pace. I don't know if their will be a sequel to this book, survival stories can go either way, but if there is I might read it. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

Barricaded in Cortege High with five other teens while zombies try to get in, Sloane Price observes her fellow captives become more unpredictable and violent as time passes although they each have much more reason to live than she has.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Courtney Summers's book This is Not a Test was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,396,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible