This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

This Is Not a Test (edition 2012)

by Courtney Summers

Member:alcarinqa
Title:This Is Not a Test
Authors:Courtney Summers
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, In the blog
Tags:PanMacAU

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Sloane is from a troubled home. Her father physically and emotionally abuses her and her sister, Lily. So when her Lily runs away from home, she feels like her world has ended. Then the zombie apocalypse happens and Sloane, already wrestling with depression, is left with conflicting feelings of whether she wants to live or wants to die - by zombie infection.

It might sound a little campy when put that way, but Courtney Summers’s This is Not a Test was a good read. Sloane is already considering taking her own life when she finds herself trapped in her old high school with five other students. The story reveals the characters of each student, how they react under pressure, with each other and ultimately their will to survive.

It’s a fast-paced novel, that kept me up, reading into the wee hours of the morning, trying to see when Sloane’s life would be revealed and her motives understood. I found it to be well written; the struggle that Sloane was experiencing was captured well on page.

It didn’t end the way I expected it to, however, I was happy with the ending. I did find Trace’s character a bit annoying, but I begun to understand him closer to the end of the book. The fact is, the characters are very rounded, they sometimes act in unexpected ways, and I was able to appreciate that. The zombies themselves didn’t have a lot of screen time, though the threat was always there, and I liked that it was done this way, so the focus was more on the characters pulling through a dangerous time than an actual zombie apocalypse.

I don’t think this was a very scary read, since it focused more on what was happening inside the school than outside, which is important to remember in order to enjoy this book.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I read a lot of post-apocalyptic, zombie-ish books and the main character is usually someone who is independent and wants to survive at all costs. The unique factor in this book is the main character, Sloane, is actually suicidal. She comes from an abusive home and it is with the aid of some other high schoolers that she happens to make it to the local high school and is bunkered down with them. Sloane isn't necessarily a likeable character, but she is interesting. She goes out of her way to help others because she doesn't care if she lives. Through the story she makes some friends and some enemies. The story has a decent pace. I don't know if their will be a sequel to this book, survival stories can go either way, but if there is I might read it. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is about a girl who has decided that it is time for her to commit suicide. Raised by an abusive father Sloane and her sister Lily have been plotting a way they can escape from their father for a long time. When Lily escapes without her sister, Sloane feels that 'her world has collapsed'. To make matters worse, there are zombies everywhere. Soon after Sloane and 5 other students have found temporary shelter in Cortege High. Sloane has given up on life but it is really hard when there is a group of people around you who want to survive.

I really enjoyed reading this book. There were a lot of twists which made the novel really interesting. Just reading the first few pages made me want to keep on reading. It had a lot of suspense and I was hooked.

Although it was a good book, there were some parts which I didn't like and felt that it was unnecessary to add, such as the overdose of swearing and irrelevant topics that would be unsuitable and inappropriate for younger readers.

Overall it was a good read and I would definitely recommend this book to teenagers and young adults. ( )
  Andre.H | Jul 21, 2015 |
Sloane didn't mean to survive the zombie apocalypse. In fact, she'd been planning to kill herself when it broke out. Caught up in the panic and chaos, she let classmates lead her to relative safety in their high school, where she and five others have barricaded themselves in. They want to survive, but Sloane, carrying her suicide note in her pocket, still isn't sure she does. ( )
  kayceel | May 11, 2015 |

Barricaded in Cortege High with five other teens while zombies try to get in, Sloane Price observes her fellow captives become more unpredictable and violent as time passes although they each have much more reason to live than she has.

119 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,795,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible