This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

This Is Not a Test (edition 2012)

by Courtney Summers

Collections:2013 Archive (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Teen, Adult, Zombies, Post-Apocalyptic, Eden Rassette, 2013

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

I will start by saying that this book was very hard for me to get into. I kept waiting for all of the action and death and blood and gore. The beginning starts off quite slow. Sloane and some other adolescents are holed up in a school while the zombies are waiting outside the doors. This is so not your typical zombie story. This is more a novel about how we survive and what we choose to do when confronted with our past and our future. The story is gritty and the characters all have flaws, what teens don't? The zombies themselves are background characters. Most of the time they don't even figure into the story. The zombies don't enter the storyline itself until about half way through the book. They make a brief, very brief showing, and then we are back to the drama of adolescence.

The book is not bad, not by any means. The characters are easy to relate to and will stir your emotions. Some of them you want to hug, others you want to shoot. The zombies are not really even needed for the main part of the story. They are just a backdrop for these teens to confront their hidden fears. There is a very small smattering of zombie violence, but not enough to consider this an action novel. If you are looking for your typical zombie book, don't look here, because that is not this book. There is very little going on, except for in the hearts and minds of these teens. Their world is crumbling around them, while they worry about who will kiss who, and if they will ever leave the school.

What will happen when an adult enters their closed in world? Will they stay at the school or move on? Who will live and who will die? You will have to read the book to find out the answers to those questions. I did see that there will be a sequel to this book. So if you like this one then look for the next one in January 2015. ( )
  TFS93 | Oct 9, 2014 |
This is not a test like Zom-B was yet again centered around a group of teenagers, fighting for survival after a zombie outbreak hits their town. And just like Zom-b its not exactly what I would call a Zombie book. More a book with a zombie background.

Warning: May contain spoilers

The main Character in this book is Slone, a young girl with an abusive father and absent sister. Slone had planned for years to run away with her older sister Lily, to be free of their father. But when Lily decided to do it alone, without warning, Slone is let alone with no one else who understands. Contemplating suicide when the outbreak happens, she finds her self barricaded in the local school with 5 other teenagers, only difference with her and them? they actually want to live. She tries to cut herself off from the rest, something that isn't as subtle as she thinks, but when she finds her self falling for someone unexpected, part of her wants to survive. For him.

The teenagers are constantly battling with the outside, and themselves. And this book is filled with a lot of hard subjects such a abuse, suicide and death. The only thing I didn't like about this book was the way Slone was always constantly talking about killing herself. I know that's the way she was from the start, it just got slightly annoying

First Courtney Summers book and I'm happy to say it wont be my last. I thought it was very well written and I loved that she had managed to mix contemporary with paranormal. I would have loved to see it as a series, but it worked really well as a stand alone. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
This book kinda seemed like the Breakfast Club meets the Zombie apocalypse.
Six teenagers are hidden in the school and its the end of the world as we know it.
The main character Sloane had decided before the end of the world happened that she was done. She had been abandoned by her older sister to an abusive father. She keeps looking for her out to end her life several times in the book.
I really did enjoy this book. It's fast paced and there is no down time where you are waiting for something to happen. It keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. I started it in an afternoon and couldn't go to bed until I finished it. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
As someone who loves zombie books I really had high hopes for this one. I feel so let down.

I found the writing flat. I couldn't get a good feel for some of the characters - it seemed they just morphed whichever way the author needed them to go. And I really could have done without all of the language. It didn't really fit in with the conversations - just seemed thrown in there for spice. And the spice was horrible.

I'm kind of sad I spent money on this, but hopefully there are some who will like it. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
*No spoilers.

4.5 Stars.

I didn’t take a lot of notes while reading this, because I didn’t have it in me to stop reading. I was sucked in from the first sentence and I just held on for the ride.

I love zombie books, zombie movies, zombie jokes, zombie TV shows, zombie references, zombie costumes, etc. When I read that this was a zombie book, I was ecstatic. Little did I know, friends. Little did I know. This isn’t a zombie book. This is the poignant story of a young girl with not a lot to live for, who suddenly finds herself in a world where she might not survive the night. Now add a zombie crust and YUM – my kind of book.

The MC is a downer. Like, seriously. She’s a fucking downer. Like, Black Hole type of downer. Don’t look for uplifting hope anywhere in her vicinity, because you will be disappointed. She’s a fucking downer. But, she doesn’t drone. I LOVE that. To me, there’s nothing worse than a Debbie Downer that drones on and on about how shitty they are, their world is, their situation is, everyone else is, etc. Sloane makes very keen observations and has pointed thoughts that are often a punch to your gut. There’s no dwelling and so it makes her very dreary disposition easy to swallow. I like dark. I crave dark and Sloane is dark. She just doesn’t bash you over the head with it. Her main focus, what drove her every move throughout the book was something that touched me profoundly. I just put myself into her situation and it tore me up inside. The imagining. And the anger. Ugh. Good ugh.

This is a poignant and creepy read. Some moments were so intense that I had to stop reading and steel myself. The creep factor is high with this one. It doesn’t come often, but it comes hard.. Heh.

There were some mediocre moments, true. This is not a perfect book, nor is it perfectly written, but it was intense and had me on the edge of my seat. I also liked the MC and all her flaws. All of these things will milk 5 stars outta me on most nights.

There were a few characters that could have used a good munching, for my taste. They annoyed the shit outta me and I wished fervently for their horrid death, but that didn’t detract from how much I loved this book, because that part of the story wasn’t the main focus. It seemed like it was, but it wasn’t. Not really.

Oh, and there were fucking zombies.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |

Barricaded in Cortege High with five other teens while zombies try to get in, Sloane Price observes her fellow captives become more unpredictable and violent as time passes although they each have much more reason to live than she has.

98 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,399,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible