This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

This Is Not a Test (edition 2012)

by Courtney Summers

Collections:2013 Archive (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Teen, Adult, Zombies, Post-Apocalyptic, Eden Rassette, 2013

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

I read a lot of post-apocalyptic, zombie-ish books and the main character is usually someone who is independent and wants to survive at all costs. The unique factor in this book is the main character, Sloane, is actually suicidal. She comes from an abusive home and it is with the aid of some other high schoolers that she happens to make it to the local high school and is bunkered down with them. Sloane isn't necessarily a likeable character, but she is interesting. She goes out of her way to help others because she doesn't care if she lives. Through the story she makes some friends and some enemies. The story has a decent pace. I don't know if their will be a sequel to this book, survival stories can go either way, but if there is I might read it. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is about a girl who has decided that it is time for her to commit suicide. Raised by an abusive father Sloane and her sister Lily have been plotting a way they can escape from their father for a long time. When Lily escapes without her sister, Sloane feels that 'her world has collapsed'. To make matters worse, there are zombies everywhere. Soon after Sloane and 5 other students have found temporary shelter in Cortege High. Sloane has given up on life but it is really hard when there is a group of people around you who want to survive.

I really enjoyed reading this book. There were a lot of twists which made the novel really interesting. Just reading the first few pages made me want to keep on reading. It had a lot of suspense and I was hooked.

Although it was a good book, there were some parts which I didn't like and felt that it was unnecessary to add, such as the overdose of swearing and irrelevant topics that would be unsuitable and inappropriate for younger readers.

Overall it was a good read and I would definitely recommend this book to teenagers and young adults. ( )
  Andre.H | Jul 21, 2015 |
Sloane did mean to survive the zombie apocalypse. In fact, she'd been planning to kill herself when it broke out. Caught up in the panic and chaos, she let classmates lead her to relative safety in their high school, where she and five others have barricaded themselves in. They want to survive, but Sloane, carrying her suicide note in her pocket, still isn't sure she does. ( )
  kayceel | May 11, 2015 |
Dear Zombie Obsessed Friends,

The first time I heard about this book, I was reading a review of the sequel on Caffeinated Book Reviewer’s blog. I was so eager to read the first book, I quickly placed it on hold at the library and raced to pick it up as soon as I was able. The premise isn’t something that’s new in this age of zombie apocalypse pop fiction, but it’s told from a prospective I’ve never read before: surviving the apocalypse through the eyes of a suicidal survivor. I really enjoyed reading This is Not a Test even though it may or may not have given me nightmares. *cough*

Three reasons to pick up a copy of This is Not a Test:
❤ Plot twists take a deadly turn in this book. There aren’t a lot of surprising twists in the book, but when they happen wham! I’m completely blown away.
❤ I know I mention this too much, but I have to say I really enjoy books like this that aren’t afraid to use the “z” word. It’s something I search for when I read or watch zombie books.
❤ The characters are realistic portrayals of teenagers trapped in a school with no way out. Sometimes when I read post-apocalyptic fiction I shake my head and think “you don’t stop being human just because the world ends.” Doesn’t mean cold water isn’t cold water or teenagers are suddenly less horny little twerps. They might not be happy-go-lucky and have a lot of painful decisions to make, but let’s be honest, when are we ever people don’t suddenly change their colors just because the world ends. I would argue people show their true selves when they are put in-between a rock and a hard place.

This book was so good, I forgot to take notes half the time. When a notes obsessed book reviewer forgets to note take, you can bet the book is worth checking out! This is Not a Test was a spine tingling good read. If you haven’t read it, you are missing out! I recommend this book for fans of science fiction or horror. There was a bit of romance, but it wasn’t all that big a part of the book. I cannot wait to get my hands on book two!

Your friend the zombie fanatic,
☠One Curvy Blogger
Check out more reviews and bookish content @ One Curvy Blogger ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Feb 16, 2015 |

Barricaded in Cortege High with five other teens while zombies try to get in, Sloane Price observes her fellow captives become more unpredictable and violent as time passes although they each have much more reason to live than she has.

121 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,986,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible