This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

This Is Not a Test (edition 2012)

by Courtney Summers

Collections:2013 Archive (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Teen, Adult, Zombies, Post-Apocalyptic, Eden Rassette, 2013

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

This is Not a Test centers around the main character of Sloane; it's the end of the world and she has ended up with five other students in Cortege High School. Although they have secured the building, the walking dead are still pounding on the doors, trying to get in. Once you are bitten, you are dead, it's only a matter of time before you die and turn into one of them. This doesn't sound so bad to Sloane Price; her entire world fell apart six months prior to the end of the world and she was already in the mind set to give up. Sloane day dreams about the barricaded doors failing and her world finally coming to an end. This doesn't happen and she is forced to view this situation through the eyes of the other five people she is with. People she didn't know that while prior to the apocalyptic events. The longer they stay, the more problems arise and soon there is danger both inside and outside the school and life altering decisions have to be made.

We meet Sloane in the beginning of the book, as she explains a bit of her life, as the walking dead literally start breaking down her door. She escapes and the book jumps 7 days later, when she has been picked up by the group and they are safely inside the school. The story then flips back and worth, retelling the events that occurred while the group made their way across town to the local high school. The story is told from Sloan's perspective and you realize quite quickly what her mindset is throughout this zombie apocalypse. This books tells the story of how the characters survive once they are holed up in the high school together, day to day and then when bigger events take place.

I have read a lot of apocalyptic books and this one was much different from the majority that I have read. Although the end of the world scenario is much different, it reminded me a lot like Z for Zachariah (http://amzn.to/1WaDzp8). The author seemed to focus a lot on character development and I felt we really to know Sloane, Rhys and the rest of the characters quite well. I also enjoyed the fact that this book wasn't all action, all the time. I liked the mixed elements and I was never bored with any part of the book. It was a much different way to write this kind of novel. This is the second book I have read by Courtney Summers and just like the first, I really liked this one as well. There is also a 100 page e-book, that is the follow up to this called, Please Remain Calm. I am hoping that the author is planning on writing a second, full length novel as a follow up to the first. ( )
  mrsreadsbooks | Apr 26, 2016 |
I read a lot of post-apocalyptic, zombie-ish books and the main character is usually someone who is independent and wants to survive at all costs. The unique factor in this book is the main character, Sloane, is actually suicidal. She comes from an abusive home and it is with the aid of some other high schoolers that she happens to make it to the local high school and is bunkered down with them. Sloane isn't necessarily a likeable character, but she is interesting. She goes out of her way to help others because she doesn't care if she lives. Through the story she makes some friends and some enemies. The story has a decent pace. I don't know if their will be a sequel to this book, survival stories can go either way, but if there is I might read it. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is about a girl who has decided that it is time for her to commit suicide. Raised by an abusive father Sloane and her sister Lily have been plotting a way they can escape from their father for a long time. When Lily escapes without her sister, Sloane feels that 'her world has collapsed'. To make matters worse, there are zombies everywhere. Soon after Sloane and 5 other students have found temporary shelter in Cortege High. Sloane has given up on life but it is really hard when there is a group of people around you who want to survive.

I really enjoyed reading this book. There were a lot of twists which made the novel really interesting. Just reading the first few pages made me want to keep on reading. It had a lot of suspense and I was hooked.

Although it was a good book, there were some parts which I didn't like and felt that it was unnecessary to add, such as the overdose of swearing and irrelevant topics that would be unsuitable and inappropriate for younger readers.

Overall it was a good read and I would definitely recommend this book to teenagers and young adults. ( )
  Andre.H | Jul 21, 2015 |
Sloane didn't mean to survive the zombie apocalypse. In fact, she'd been planning to kill herself when it broke out. Caught up in the panic and chaos, she let classmates lead her to relative safety in their high school, where she and five others have barricaded themselves in. They want to survive, but Sloane, carrying her suicide note in her pocket, still isn't sure she does. ( )
  kayceel | May 11, 2015 |

Barricaded in Cortege High with five other teens while zombies try to get in, Sloane Price observes her fellow captives become more unpredictable and violent as time passes although they each have much more reason to live than she has.

121 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,800,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible