Murder on the Rocks by Karen MacInerney

Murder on the Rocks

by Karen MacInerney

Murder on the Rocks by Karen MacInerney

This is an amazing first whodunit novel where you truly do not know whodunit until Ms. MacInerney lets you in on it. The story takes place on the peaceful Cranberry Island, though as the author states, “Those familiar with the Cranberry Isles will…fail to recognize many of the nautical features surrounding the Cranberry Island; that is because they are figments of the author’s imagination.”
Ms. MacInerney’s vivid descriptions of the Gray Whale Inn and all the delicious foods that Natalie (Nat), the innkeeper and main character, creates makes me want to hop on a plane and get myself to Cranberry Island. The attention to detail lets you fully appreciate the characters for who they are and why they act the way they do.
From the first introduction of Bernard Katz and his son and daughter-in-law I knew they were people I would not like and from the first death I knew who I wanted to be the guilty party. In some “fluff” novels the main character gets involved in solving a murder and you wonder why and what she could possibly offer in solving a crime. Not so in Murder on the Rocks. Nat is in the right place and the right time and it makes perfect sense for her to get involved even when she is “warned” not to. I was bothered at times by some of Natalie’s actions. She defied instructions from the police and she does not make an immediate call to them after there is an intruder at the Inn and she is knocked out. This does not make sense.
Naturally the reader wants some romance and Ms. MacInerney does not disappoint in this area. Not only does Nat get involved with a dashing man, so does her niece, who is visiting for the summer. I hope Gwen returns in future novels as I liked her.
Murder on the Rocks is a page turner; from the moment I started it I did not want to stop reading until I finished the book. Fortunately for me, I was able to do it. I hope you can too.
  JustJan3 | Jul 30, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading Murder on the Rocks too. It is the first book of the Gray Whale Inn Mysteries. The characters were engaging. The suspense was good. I did know how some of the characters were still around from reading Death Runs Adrift first.
I would love to read the other 4 books in the series sometime.

Natalie has been on Cranberry Island for three months. She has bought the Gray Whale Inn and hoping to make ago of it. But a big resort wants to build right next to her property. They want to make her place a parking lot. She is fighting it.

When the developer is found dead by her she becomes the chief suspect. They really are not looking for other suspects so Natalie decides she needs to find the murder first.

There are a lot of people believing her guilty. It is getting very dangerous for Natalie after she is knocked out.

There are recipes in the back of the book.

I bought this book on Amazon. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Mar 24, 2014 |
The first installment in a new series - the characters and location were very enjoyable, however story was a bit ordinary. I'll try the second soon to see if it was just the intro of the characters and setting that held off the story. ( )
  cyderry | Dec 31, 2013 |
What a delightfully, cleanly written mystery! This story held the intrigue and suspense to the very end then rewarded the reader with a few recipes for scrumptious treats! In an Island setting, Natalie buys a Bread and Breakfast only to discover it may be lost due to the planning of a new resort next door. Murder and mayhem breaks out and she is one of the prime suspects. All but two friends determine her to be guilty. She alone must prove her innocence but the other suspects are many. How will she prove her innocence -or will she? Clean for all ages and a fun book for Book Clubs to review ( )
  LAWonder10 | Jun 25, 2013 |
This first in the Gray Whale Inn series set on an island off the coast off Maine features innkeeper & Texas transplant Natalie Barnes. It’s a charming cozy with a decent mystery, and mouth-watering descriptions of the breakfasts Natalie whips up for her guests.

Read this if: you’re a cozy (murder) mystery fan who has B&B aspirations; or you are taken with the lifestyle and scenery of the NE coast of the USA. ( )
  ParadisePorch | May 10, 2013 |

Trading in Texas heat for Maine's tangy salt air, Natalie Barnes risked it all to buy the Gray Whale Inn, a quaint bed and breakfast on Cranberry Island. She adores whipping up buttery muffins and other rich breakfast treats for her guests until Bernard Katz checks in. The overbearing land developer plans to build a resort next door where an endangered colony of black-chinned terns is nesting. Worried about the birds, the inevitable transformation of the sleepy fishing community, and her livelihood, Natalie takes a public stand against the project. But the town board sides with Katz. Just when it seems like things can't get any worse, Natalie finds Katz dead. Now the police and much of the town think she's guilty. Can Natalie track down the true killer before she's hauled off to jail...or becomes the next victim?

Murder on the Rocks is an Agatha Award nominee.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:31 -0400)

Trading in Texas heat for Maine's tangy salt air, Natalie Barnes risked it all to buy the Gray Whale Inn, a quaint bed and breakfast on Cranberry Island. She adores whipping up buttery muffins and other rich breakfast treats for her guests until Bernard Katz checks in. The overbearing land developer plans to build a resort next door where an endangered colony of black-chinned terns is nesting. Worried about the birds, the inevitable transformation of the sleepy fishing community, and her livelihood, Natalie takes a public stand against the project. But the town board sides with Katz. Just when it seems like things can't get any worse, Natalie finds Katz dead. Now the police and much of the town think she's guilty. Can Natalie track down the true killer before she's hauled off to jail . . . or becomes the next victim… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,036,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible