Grief Lessons: Four Plays by Euripides by…

Grief Lessons: Four Plays by Euripides (2006)

by Euripides

Other authors: Anne Carson (Translator)

209555,966 (4.17)7

Skip Carson's glibly self-indulgent prefaces ("If you google 'revenge'..."; "There are days that are foggy in Venice..."; "is all anger sexual?"; etc.); the translations are readable though occasionally flatfooted compared to Arrowsmith or Vellacott. Alkestis comes off best. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
Euripides is weird. Anne Carson isn't all that normal. But her translations are very readable, and her mini-essays are suggestive. The Hypolitus drags on a bit, but that's probably Euripides' fault, not Carson's. The best is probably Herakles, if you only want to read one. Better of reading Woodruff's Bacchae instead, I think. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
Recommended by fellow GRer Tom, who sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Every time I encounter a classical text I haven't read before, I am smacked in the face afresh by how on crack these texts are. Like, I'm USED to the crack of Homer, I'm USED to the crack of Ovid and Vergil, I'm USED to the total crack of everything I read & retained from my various classics courses. But somehow I had not encountered "Hippolytus" or "Alketis" before, and holy WOW are they on CRACK.

Like, I cannot even wrap my head around what happened in those stories. They make no sense.

Carson's translations are gorgeous, of course, as Carson's work so reliably is, and her short introductory essays are evocative and haunting. I would highly recommend this if you have a good supply of acid or a high tolerance for WTF. ( )
  cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |
I'd read about this book on the bookslut blog, I think, and bought it on a bit of a whim. It sounded interesting, and sometimes I try to read things outside my comfort zone. As I usually am when I do this, I'm glad I did it.

The translation reads very modern without sounding off. The plays seem fresh and like they matter, and the book's title, "Grief Lessons", seems all too apt. Whether it's Herakles or Hekabe or Hippolytos or Alkestis' husband - grief is palpable throughout the plays' tragedies.

The introductions to the plays were helpful and insightful, and in a way the two framing essays were the highpoints of the book for me. A good book, one that doesn't leave your mind so quickly. ( )
  atia | Nov 3, 2008 |

Euripidesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carson, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a collection of Alcestis; Hecabe; Heracles; and Hippolytos. Please do not combine with editions featuring a different selection of plays.

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590171802, 1590172531

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible