Legend of Witchtrot Road by E. J. Stevens

Legend of Witchtrot Road (2011)

by E. J. Stevens

194537,190 (4.33)None

Book Title: "The Legend of Witchtrot Road”
Author: E.J. Stevens
Published By: Sacred Oak Press
Age Recommended: 14+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 3.5

Review: I’ll start by saying this is the only book I’ve read in ‘The Spirit Guide’ Series and though I really wanted to like it, I just couldn’t help but feel like I was reading another Twilight knock-off. The writing was good and the story was alright for the high school scene, but it wasn’t’ much of anything I haven’t read over and over again. I wouldn’t say it would put me off from reading other works by this author but it wasn’t something I’d actively seek out in the future. ( )
  RavenswoodPublishing | Sep 26, 2012 |
When I got this book I did not know that it was the third in a series. Reading books out of order drives me bonkers and so when I found out that I was it drove me a little nuts but I pushed through. The book was wonderful. The first few pages had me hooked and I immediately began to see why so many people sang praises for this young adult series. In my book it was a lot better than some of the ones that I had seen. Without pushing some of the boundaries there are for young adult themes these days. The story captivated me with the powers that Yuki has and those of her friends.

It really showed the bond of friendship and that no matter what true friends will always be there and stand by your side. Differences, fights, breaks ups and disagreements are swept aside as all friends band together to keep Yuki safe on her journeys to put the souls of the dead she "smells" at rest and figure out the untimely events that lead to some of their demise.

Witchtrot Road is cursed and it's that curse this book focuses around. Starting with the death of one of her fellow students and quarterback of the football team. Yuki faces persecution from her fellow classmates of the football team claiming that they believe her to be a witch and it was her curse and fault that their beloved quarterback is dead. On a journey to prove herself innocent and to keep the ghost of said quarterback from haunting her forever Yuki and her friends set out on an investigation filled with trouble and events that lead them to discover that not only is Witchtrot road not haunted or cursed but that something worse is going on there.If you want to find out what however, you will need to read this book yourself.

Great read is all I can really say. ( )
1 vote Angelscryhavoc | Oct 27, 2011 |
This is the third book in the Spirit Guide Series and all our favorite characters are back plus some new faces. This is definitely Simon's story and the beginning of Gordy's. We learned in the last book, Spirit Storm of Simon's tragic loss. In this book, it comes looking for him in the form of the younger brother. He's cocky, arrogant and a spoiled brat. And no one likes him. Not even Cal, who tries to get along with everyone. Welcome to the pack!

The story in this one starts out with the loss of a football player who crashed his motorcycle on Witchtrot Road. Some of the team is taking it very hard. Yuki is smelling his scent impression. And the J-team, that would be Jay and Jared of the football team, not the sharpest knives in the drawer, have decided to blame Yuki, "the witch" for putting a curse on him and killing him. Unfortunately, Cal has to rescue her from these Neanderthals, and Yuki has to rescue them from his wolf that almost takes hold. Neither one are very quick to catch on. They later trap Yuki in a storage closet with the whole football team having told them she has cursed them all. Yuki knows how to get out of a sticky situation, it's just lucky she can communicate with her feet! The J-team is definitely someone Yuki has to look out for during this book-bullies picking on someone that's different.

But the real trouble is Gabriel, the new wolf in town, who's gunning for Simon. And he wants to make Emma his mate. As if? The matchmaking going on in this novel is interesting to say the least, and the trouble is not the paranormal kind. The Legend of Witchtrot Road may be about a witch wrongly accused, but the things going on there are even scarier. Flying frozen toads and upside down cars. And just at the full moon Emma and Yuki decide to investigate. What were they thinking???

This caper is definitely scary. The danger is of a much more human nature and the accident Yuki and Emma have is surreal. It's how the book starts out and you have to go through almost the whole book to see if they are okay. And then there are those pesky dreams Yuki keeps having about the witches she stole the Amulet of Nera from. She's gotta find a way to get it back to them, but she needs it's protection. And there's still the J-team to worry about, especially when Cal isn't around.

This is my favorite of the three Spirit Guide Series stories. Probably because the stories are getting more complex and Yuki and Cal's relationship is deepening. I love the banter between Simon and Emma. It lightens the mood in sometimes tense situations throughout the series. And it doesn't hurt Simon's charms that he tacks, Love, on to every sentence he addresses to Emma and Yuki. (He had me at hello, love.) Again, the mystery isn't stressful, but the issue of bullies is addressed in this one and how Yuki has always been bullied and her wishes always ignored even by the teachers. And always as resolutions come to some things, questions arise about others.

I can't wait for the next book in this series. The are so much fun to read! The descriptions are rich but not heavy and they mysteries or spirit problems just don't feel heavy and dark. I think because Yuki never has to face anything alone. She's always got her friends and in this novel, it really helps. If you've enjoyed the other Spirit Guide stories, you'll love this one. If you haven't tried them, then get your feet wet with She Smells The Dead! October is the best month to read this series as the first two occur right around Halloween! So don't wait! And make sure you read this one! It's great! But She Smells the Dead will always have the best title of all YA books I've ever read! ( )
1 vote hrose2931 | Oct 21, 2011 |
I heard the harsh, grinding creak of a ship’s hull straining against stormy seas just as I felt the vertiginous tilt and roll of the waves beneath me. I considered letting the motion lull me back to sleep, but one thought kept creeping in to ruin my slumber. I wasn’t on a boat.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E. J. Stevens's book Legend of Witchtrot Road was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

E. J. Stevens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,468,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible