The World of the Hunger Games by Kate Egan

The World of the Hunger Games (2012)

by Kate Egan

The World of the Hunger Games AKA The Hunger Games for Dummies. I wouldn't describe it as definitive...

When [b:The World of the Hunger Games|11873368|The World of the Hunger Games|Kate Egan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327937151s/11873368.jpg|16831098] was first announced, I remember there were descriptions saying that new facts and details (about Panem) that would be revealed in this book. And I recall it was speculated that Suzanne Collins herself would be writing it. So it's a double disappointment for me when (1) the only new thing I got from this book was that Suzanne Collins considered the "psychological" mutts as "alpha mutts" and (2) she wasn't the author of this tie-in (Kate Egan, however, is a Scholastic editor and a friend of hers).

So read it if you want to know about the Hunger Games as much as possible without reading the books. (Which is sad, since you're going to miss a lot).

Some hits:
* Contains high quality photos (some new, some just a different angle of previously released images)
* The glossary, which includes terms from the trilogy but were not used in this guide (IIRC)

And misses:
* There was no indication about whether some quotes and facts came from the books only, the movie only, or applies to both.

I am so glad I didn't buy it.
  MagicCapslock | Mar 30, 2013 |
This would be nice book for a young teen or a preteen--they're old enough to see the movie, but not read the novel. Of course, all kids are different, but I think most teens would feel this book talks down to them, and they'd be better off reading the original novel. They write like they're talking about a real world (like geography non-fiction) of a made-up world. There are several books out about the Hunger Games, and I liked the "Official Illustrated Movie Guide" better. ( )
  eliorajoy | Feb 6, 2013 |
An interesting summary of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games, using photos from the film and written like a long People magazine article. Good for someone who wants to have a little background before seeing the film and hasn't read the books. It is not a companion to the movie with stuff about filming, etc. I guess you would call it a companion to the book. Hunger Games Lite. ( )
  geraldinefm | Apr 15, 2012 |
This was very informational and very very good. ( )
  Tylerballer5 | Mar 2, 2012 |

Reference guide/companion to

Introduction: You know this world, where it's easy to get confused between reality and reality TV.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545425123, Hardcover)

A Look Inside The World of the Hunger Games
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

Katniss unexpectedly became head of her household. She hunts for game to feed her family. Prim won’t let her sister go...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:17 -0400)

A companion guide to Panem, the world in the "Hunger Games," as portrayed in the motion picture based on the novel by Suzanne Collins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible