Sins of the Son by Linda Poitevin

Sins of the Son (edition 2012)

by Linda Poitevin

Member:alaiel.kreuz
Title:Sins of the Son
Authors:Linda Poitevin
Info:Ace (2012), Kindle Edition, 351 pages
Rating:*****

Sins of the Son by Linda Poitevin

Originally published on Romancing the Darkside:

My Initial Reaction: Left me speechless and heartbroken!

An emotional thrill ride that left me in awe!

In Sins of the Angels, homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis had her life turned upside down when she learned of the existence of fallen angels on earth and of her true identity, she's Nephilim, half angel, half human. Her second shock was when she found out that she is the soul mate of the one who hunts these angels, a angel hunter in exile, Aramael. Now in Sins of the Son,Alex is faced with protecting Seth, the one soul who holds the fate of starting the Apocalypse even if it means risking her own destiny in love.

Linda Poitevin knows how to evoke every possible emotion in you with her intense writing. Alex is really taken out of her element as a police officer this time around, with the focus lying more on Heaven and Hell's plan for the world. The grandiose and dark characters we fell in love with in the first installment are back with a vengeance in Sins of the Son and keep you on the edge with each turn of the page. It takes a certain kind of talent to weave the "angels and demons" concept into a fluid and captivating story and Linda's execution is seemingly effortless.

Having dealt with the shock of her life, Alex is starting to cope with the knowledge of being Nephilim and the trauma she suffered at the hands of her soul mate Aramael's brother Caim. The lack of Aramael's presence is also taking a toll on her but her inner strength keeps her going. Her goal is to protect the man who saved her life, Seth at any costs. What she doesn't count on is being reunited with her soul mate and learning that she will have to sacrifice her heart and him, in order to prevent the world's end. Her character is faced with many choices that show us her strength and vulnerability, making Alex really shine in this sequel. Her interaction with Aramael was minimal this time around and I for one was devastated by this and the wrench Ms. Poitevin threw into my anticipated romance! I'm still recovering from the shock and learning to accept the ending!

Linda's world created in the Grigori Legacy is highly addictive. Sins of the Son is a dark and gritty urban fantasy that infuses the world's oldest battle of good vs. evil with the paranormal. There is constant action throughout the story, keeping your interest until the last page. Danger, love, betrayal and sacrifice come together for an epic conclusion that will leave you speechless! I tip my hat to a phenomenal storyteller!

Loriann422 | Oct 9, 2013 |
Couldn't make it more than a few chapters, the dynamic between fantasy and religion was distracting and odd. I may have been missing out on prior plot setting (as I hadn't read anything else by this author), but my curiosity isn't piqued.
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
It's always difficult to do a review of a book that is part of a series without writing spoilers so I'm really sorry if my review is kind of short. But I'll try to make it as interesting as I can 'cause, you know, this book deserves it all.

In the first book, Sins of the Angels, we only see the small picture. The book itself is like the foundation that will lead to this book which gives us a sneak peek of the big (bigger) picture. And I'm saying sneak peek because I believe that although Sins of the Son shows us some light the third book will give us the whole perspective.

The main difference with this book is that the plot doesn't focus on Alex and Aramael (which was kind of sad considering I like him a lot) but it does focus on Alex and Seth. Remember him? We already know that he is the son of God (which, if you remember, is a she) but this time he has made a choice that puts him in a very difficult situation: he decided to come back to Earth and be with Alex but something went deadly wrong and as Seth can't remember a thing about his past he becomes a deadly weapon for all humanity.
Which is why Alex leaves everything behind and tracks him down to help him. After all, Aramael is dead (or so she believes) and she doesn't really know what to do with her life.

But Armageddon is coming and every second counts. Now all the strings are moving and as we see the story from God and Lucifer's POV we will have a marvelous front row seat in discovering their motivations, secrets and darkest motives. Which both of them have. And we will wonder: who is actually in control? Why is God always so sad?º
What is the truth behind all this is a question I asked myself throughout the whole book.

As for the ending... the only thing I'm going to say about it is that it'll leave you with your heart aching and hoping to read the next book soon (and it will never be soon enough). ( )
  alaiel.kreuz | Nov 8, 2012 |
Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating:5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: PJV Blog Tours/Publisher
Reviewer: AimeeKay

Sins of the Son is the second novel in The Grigori Legacy series. Even though it is the second book, it still works as a standalone title. I say this not having read the first book, Sins of The Angel. Don’t get me wrong, Sins of the Son does refer back to incidents that happened in the first book, however it was written in such a way that it didn’t make me feel as if I NEEDED the first book to figure out what was going on (although I would enjoy reading the first book if only to find out more about what brought the characters to their current circumstances).

I also love the detail Poitevin went into with her characters and the world in which they lived. I didn’t always agree with the decisions her characters made, yet I still could understand why they made them, since the author gave me that much insight into their minds. Then there’s the world itself. She really brings it to life. I’ve never been to Canada, so I can’t confirm if her descriptions were spot on, but they definitely felt real enough to me.

As for the rest of the story itself. There is a love triangle between Aramael, Seth and Alex. However, the story was never just about them. Which I think was one of the things that really kept my attention and made the book stand out more than your average romance. Don’t get me wrong, the relationship between all three of the main characters is important to the story itself, but it’s not the only thing going on. I definitely think this is a plus, since love triangles are one of my pet peeves.

The author also throws in some interesting twists to her story, and not always what I was expecting. But the twists were done in such a way that I wanted to find out what was going to happen next, so I didn’t mind being wrong. The story ends with some definite loose ends, but this is a series so I was kinda expecting that to happen, and I am definitely interested in reading the next book to see where the author goes with this series.

Angels seem to be the new Vampires in the paranormal writing world. I’ve read some great new angel reads and I’ve read some REALLY bad ones. I definitely think Poitevin’s Sins of the Son falls into the former category. It drew me in from the first page and held my attention until the last. This series is definitely worth getting into. ( )
  momgamerwriter | May 7, 2012 |
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Take care, for the war between Heaven and Hell is upon us.

Opening Sentence: “Do we have an agreement?” the One asked.

The Review:

The second installment in the Grigori Legacy urban fantasy series is completely crazy. Betrayal–in Heaven of all places, rape by fallen angels, suicides, the shortest pregnancies I have ever seen (though I think that part would be awesome… much better than all those months), though the maternal death rate is a rather dismal 100%, strangers turning up naked at your doorstep with no memories and no speech, true love returning from the grave. Crazy, don’t you think? But we love to love it, am I right?

So in this installment of the series we see everyone we met before trying to get back to their lives post Ciam, loco fallen angel with a murderous disposition and one hell of a grudge. It seems most of the main characters are all having a bit of a problem with that, but wouldn’t we all? Detective Alex Jarvis has been sentenced to ride behind a desk by the departmental shrink pending, I don’t know, maybe the end of the world? She’s not any more crazy than most of us really. But all that changes when her boss shows her a photo of a missing person, more like a found person, case in Vancouver, and they both recognize the man as the one who saved Alex’s life during a fire, one presumed dead. But, there he is, Seth, son of the One and Lucifer, the one who supposedly holds the fate of everything in his hands. The deal being, Seth is to be reborn a human, live life like a human, and he is to choose between good and bad. Choose good and Lucifer has to say bye-bye, choose bad and Lucifer gets to wipe us all out. Except when he makes it to earth, as an adult mind you, Seth doesn’t remember any of that. In fact, he doesn’t remember anything. Alex realizes this tidbit for the bad news that it really is, the coming of the Apocalypse, and she rushes across the country to try to save him. She begins by teaching him about the world and language again, only to be interrupted by Aramael, her ex-soulmate she thought had died. Aramael has been given the mission of killing Seth to prevent some sort of human genocide, and by that I mean wiping out the entire human race. You see, Lucifer has been steadily building up an army of half-human-half-angels, or Nephilim, so that when the angels of Heaven and Hell are in battle, the Nephilim will destroy the humans. But Alex gets in the way and won’t allow them to just finish Seth off as planned, leaving Lucifer time to play some head games. Then, for awhile, the world hangs in the balance, as Seth makes his final decision. There is some awful things that happen in the meantime, but I can’t tell you everything, you’ve got to read it for yourself. Suffice to say, the ending is a surprise, somewhat scary and left open for more books as the war is just starting, and Lucifer is just beginning to delve into his nasty bag of tricks.

So aside from all the craziness, Alex has now had two heavenly beings give up everything to be with her. Two! What we all wouldn’t give for just one…greedy girl. Though, Alex isn’t like that at all. And in this particular love triangle, I don’t know whom I would choose if I were in her shoes. Aramael, or Seth…either one would suffice in my world.

As I stated in my last review from this series, this is an interesting set of mythos, some parts more close to the actual legends than I have read previously. I wouldn’t call it churchy, though, even with the presence of a priest. Religion aside, the scenery and imagery are top notch, characterization, emotions, and actions real enough to sink your teeth into. I really enjoyed the story and hope there are more forthcoming.

Notable Scene:

He eyed his present tormentor, now circling just out of arm’s reach. Despite what the Fallen One may have heard about Aramael’s vulnerability, thousands of years of caution apparently died hard. Aramael was, after all, one of the select few angels capable of imprisoning Fallen Ones in Limbo. Or had been one of those angels until Mittron orchestrated his downfall.

Now, however, he was wingless, powerless, reduced to the same physical strength as a mortal, and sentenced to an eternity of having the crap kicked out of him by his former prey. And, worse, to watching from the sidelines as Heaven and Hell went to war.

Gritting his teeth, he rolled his shoulders to ease the tension building in them. It wasn’t in his nature to lie down and play dead, so he’d fight back as best he could. He might even land a few hits of his own. But if the three previous encounters were anything to go by, he didn’t expect to remain standing for long.

The Fallen One stepped in with a jab; Aramael blocked him and struck a glancing blow on his shoulder—a blow that, even to him, felt feeble. The Fallen One smirked.

A feral cat, scrounging through a pile of garbage, slinked out of sight behind a row of battered cans. Aramael braced himself. His enemy could take him down in a heartbeat, but it wouldn’t happen that way. There would be pain involved first. A lot of pain.

The Fallen One’s knuckles connected with his cheekbone and a starburst exploded behind his eyes. Reeling back, he staggered and shook his head, trying to locate his aggressor through flashes of light. Another hit, this one to the gut. He grunted and doubled over, staying on his feet through sheer willpower. He would not fall this easily. A fist drove into his kidney and agony sheared through him, obliterating his resolve. His lungs sucked for air as all sense of his enemy’s whereabouts disappeared. Dropping to his hands and knees, he waited for the next blows. They came quickly. Kicks, now, from which no amount of curling up could protect him.

Lying in the alley’s grunge, he endured the punishment. Grimly, resolutely, and with growing bitterness. He might not be able to stop Mittron, but if it took him the rest of his existence, the Highest Seraph would somehow answer for this. For the pain and humiliation; for the loss of what Armael had so briefly found with Alexandra Jarvis; for the treason that had brought it all to bear.

A booted foot crashed into Aramael’s skull, sending a wash of red across his vision. Awareness receded down a darkening tunnel. Sound faded. Sensation died away.

Deep inside, the life spark of the weakened vessel he had become snuffed out yet again.

The Grigori Legacy Series:

1. Sins of the Angels

2. Sins of the Son

FTC Advisory: Penguin/Ace Books provided me with a copy of Sins of the Son. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 10, 2012 |

After homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis sees a photo of Seth Benjamin on a police bulletin, she knows that Heaven's plan to halt Armageddon has gone terribly wrong. As the only mortal who knows of Seth's true nature, only she can save him.

Linda Poitevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,237,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible