Sins of the Son by Linda Poitevin

Sins of the Son (edition 2012)

by Linda Poitevin

Member:alaiel.kreuz
Title:Sins of the Son
Authors:Linda Poitevin
Info:Ace (2012), Kindle Edition, 351 pages
Rating:*****

Sins of the Son by Linda Poitevin

4 ½ Stars!

Sins of the Son is the second book in the Grigori Legacy series by Linda Poitevin.

Sins of the Son takes place couple of days after the events in Sins of the Angels, first book in this series. Detective Alexandra Jarvis is trying to pick up the pieces after what happened with Aramael, Seth and Caim. Alex is on desk-duty and force to see a psychiatrist. But how can she talk to a professional and really tell him what happened? Talking about what really happened and mentioning Angels, Fallen angels and Armageddon for sure will bring her a one-way ticket to a psychiatric ward.
Alex’s Captain knows something supernatural happened during the case, he saw things he can’t explain and if he is being honest doesn’t want them explained; for that reason he doesn’t pushes Alex much and gives her some leeway. When a police bulletin comes to his hands showing a picture of Seth Benjamin as an amnesic Joe Doe found in Vancouver he knows Alex needs to go and investigate what’s going on with Seth.
In Vancouver Alex finds Seth and as the police bulletin said Seth has lost him memory but as soon as he sees Alex he remembers her name and knows she is important to him. Dr. Elizabeth Riley is the psychiatrist that has been treating Seth for days with no improvement whatsoever until Alex comes to see him. Dr. Riley wants to know who her patient is but to her great displeasure Alex is not forthcoming with information. Detective Hugh Henderson from the Vancouver police department is also involve in Seth’s case and in other cases involving strange events that have been happening around the city, events that will test his faith and will open his horizons.
If Seth’s amnesia, Dr. Riley and Detective Henderson’s inquisitive questions weren’t enough for Alex to deal with, the reappearance of Aramael into her life and the hidden agenda he carries for sure is enough to complicate her life to the nth. And when forces from Hell and Heaven also start to get involve… let’s just say things are not pretty or easier for Alex.

I think trying to review Sins of the Son without using wows and omgs it’s going to be very difficult, but I’m going to try my best.

Sins of the Son book blew me away completely. The world Mrs. Poitevin created is not only brilliantly creative but also very unique. The mythology she has created behind Heaven and Hell is arresting, clever and complex, one of which you will die to know more and everything new you discover is something completely unexpected that will leave you astonished.

The characters are all well developed and with great depth. Alex has come a long way since Sins of the Angels and trying to do the best with what life have given her. She is coming to terms to what she is and with her importance in the scheme of things, but at the same time she doesn’t want to be a pawn, she wants to make her own decisions and live her life for herself and no for others.

Seth, omg Seth (first omg) how I love him, I have loved him since Sins of the Angels but in this book I adored him. He is strong, smart and when he loves he gives everything for that love. It’s impossible not to love him. Team Seth!!

Aramael, ok, where to start with him, I liked him in Sins of the Angels but I never loved him and in this book when I compare him to Seth he loses by many points. Despite this my heart ached for him and he did something at the end of the book that made me love him a little bit. I’m pretty sure Mrs. Poitevin has many things planned for him in the future and I can’t really wait to see with what she is going to come out now, even tough I’m a bit afraid to see it.

Dr. Riley, omg (second omg) how much I despised her. She was annoying as hell, I know she was doing her job and wanted the best for her patient and all that but sometimes she was too much of a tough cookie. As with Aramael at the end she got better and restored some of my faith in her.

Detective Henderson was a very sympathetic character and one easy to connect with. I loved how he was able to accept extraordinary circumstances and work with what was happening. I also loved how in the short term he has known Alex he started to care for her and tried to help her as much as he could.

From the higher beings the complex relationship between The One and Lucifer was nothing but astounding. The reasons behind all the politics and conflicts were just incredibly well developed and as with all the other occurrences really original and smartly done.

The end of the book was not a cliffhanger, but one that will leave you with noooo, omg, omg, omg, wow, omg, omg, wow, no she didn’t, yes she did, omg, omg I didn’t see that one coming (lost count of omgs). It was so much of and OMG-End that I had to contact Mrs. Poitevin immediately after finishing the book and in short words I told her she was an evil author to which she proudly replied that yes, she was.
To say that I’m eagerly looking to the next installment of this series is an understatement. I will stalk Mrs. Poitevin aka evil author until I learn when it will be release and then I will start to count days and minutes until get my greedy hands on it.

I recommend this book to all Urban Fantasy lovers but I recommend you to read Sins of the Angels first. Mrs. Poitevin and her Grigori Legacy series belong to my favorite shelf and I’m sure after you read her it will belong to yours too. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Originally published on Romancing the Darkside:

My Initial Reaction: Left me speechless and heartbroken!

An emotional thrill ride that left me in awe!

In Sins of the Angels, homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis had her life turned upside down when she learned of the existence of fallen angels on earth and of her true identity, she's Nephilim, half angel, half human. Her second shock was when she found out that she is the soul mate of the one who hunts these angels, a angel hunter in exile, Aramael. Now in Sins of the Son,Alex is faced with protecting Seth, the one soul who holds the fate of starting the Apocalypse even if it means risking her own destiny in love.

Linda Poitevin knows how to evoke every possible emotion in you with her intense writing. Alex is really taken out of her element as a police officer this time around, with the focus lying more on Heaven and Hell's plan for the world. The grandiose and dark characters we fell in love with in the first installment are back with a vengeance in Sins of the Son and keep you on the edge with each turn of the page. It takes a certain kind of talent to weave the "angels and demons" concept into a fluid and captivating story and Linda's execution is seemingly effortless.

Having dealt with the shock of her life, Alex is starting to cope with the knowledge of being Nephilim and the trauma she suffered at the hands of her soul mate Aramael's brother Caim. The lack of Aramael's presence is also taking a toll on her but her inner strength keeps her going. Her goal is to protect the man who saved her life, Seth at any costs. What she doesn't count on is being reunited with her soul mate and learning that she will have to sacrifice her heart and him, in order to prevent the world's end. Her character is faced with many choices that show us her strength and vulnerability, making Alex really shine in this sequel. Her interaction with Aramael was minimal this time around and I for one was devastated by this and the wrench Ms. Poitevin threw into my anticipated romance! I'm still recovering from the shock and learning to accept the ending!

Linda's world created in the Grigori Legacy is highly addictive. Sins of the Son is a dark and gritty urban fantasy that infuses the world's oldest battle of good vs. evil with the paranormal. There is constant action throughout the story, keeping your interest until the last page. Danger, love, betrayal and sacrifice come together for an epic conclusion that will leave you speechless! I tip my hat to a phenomenal storyteller!

Loriann422 | Oct 9, 2013 |
Couldn't make it more than a few chapters, the dynamic between fantasy and religion was distracting and odd. I may have been missing out on prior plot setting (as I hadn't read anything else by this author), but my curiosity isn't piqued.
1 vote Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
It's always difficult to do a review of a book that is part of a series without writing spoilers so I'm really sorry if my review is kind of short. But I'll try to make it as interesting as I can 'cause, you know, this book deserves it all.

In the first book, Sins of the Angels, we only see the small picture. The book itself is like the foundation that will lead to this book which gives us a sneak peek of the big (bigger) picture. And I'm saying sneak peek because I believe that although Sins of the Son shows us some light the third book will give us the whole perspective.

The main difference with this book is that the plot doesn't focus on Alex and Aramael (which was kind of sad considering I like him a lot) but it does focus on Alex and Seth. Remember him? We already know that he is the son of God (which, if you remember, is a she) but this time he has made a choice that puts him in a very difficult situation: he decided to come back to Earth and be with Alex but something went deadly wrong and as Seth can't remember a thing about his past he becomes a deadly weapon for all humanity.
Which is why Alex leaves everything behind and tracks him down to help him. After all, Aramael is dead (or so she believes) and she doesn't really know what to do with her life.

But Armageddon is coming and every second counts. Now all the strings are moving and as we see the story from God and Lucifer's POV we will have a marvelous front row seat in discovering their motivations, secrets and darkest motives. Which both of them have. And we will wonder: who is actually in control? Why is God always so sad?º
What is the truth behind all this is a question I asked myself throughout the whole book.

As for the ending... the only thing I'm going to say about it is that it'll leave you with your heart aching and hoping to read the next book soon (and it will never be soon enough). ( )
  alaiel.kreuz | Nov 8, 2012 |
Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating:5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: PJV Blog Tours/Publisher
Reviewer: AimeeKay

Sins of the Son is the second novel in The Grigori Legacy series. Even though it is the second book, it still works as a standalone title. I say this not having read the first book, Sins of The Angel. Don’t get me wrong, Sins of the Son does refer back to incidents that happened in the first book, however it was written in such a way that it didn’t make me feel as if I NEEDED the first book to figure out what was going on (although I would enjoy reading the first book if only to find out more about what brought the characters to their current circumstances).

I also love the detail Poitevin went into with her characters and the world in which they lived. I didn’t always agree with the decisions her characters made, yet I still could understand why they made them, since the author gave me that much insight into their minds. Then there’s the world itself. She really brings it to life. I’ve never been to Canada, so I can’t confirm if her descriptions were spot on, but they definitely felt real enough to me.

As for the rest of the story itself. There is a love triangle between Aramael, Seth and Alex. However, the story was never just about them. Which I think was one of the things that really kept my attention and made the book stand out more than your average romance. Don’t get me wrong, the relationship between all three of the main characters is important to the story itself, but it’s not the only thing going on. I definitely think this is a plus, since love triangles are one of my pet peeves.

The author also throws in some interesting twists to her story, and not always what I was expecting. But the twists were done in such a way that I wanted to find out what was going to happen next, so I didn’t mind being wrong. The story ends with some definite loose ends, but this is a series so I was kinda expecting that to happen, and I am definitely interested in reading the next book to see where the author goes with this series.

Angels seem to be the new Vampires in the paranormal writing world. I’ve read some great new angel reads and I’ve read some REALLY bad ones. I definitely think Poitevin’s Sins of the Son falls into the former category. It drew me in from the first page and held my attention until the last. This series is definitely worth getting into. ( )
  momgamerwriter | May 7, 2012 |

After homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis sees a photo of Seth Benjamin on a police bulletin, she knows that Heaven's plan to halt Armageddon has gone terribly wrong. As the only mortal who knows of Seth's true nature, only she can save him.

Linda Poitevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,869,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible