Heaven by Paula Gooder

Heaven (2011)

by Paula Gooder

222476,730 (3)None

This book examines what heaven is, and Paula Gooder applies her considerable scholarship to understanding the biblical idea of heaven. She draws on biblical, deutero-canonical books and the rabbinic literature in her survey of the subject, concluding with an examination of what an understanding of heaven means for Christians in the here-and-now. As usual with Paula Gooder, it is written in an easy-to-read style, bringing great scholarship into the everyday world. A must-read for any Christian who thinks we will spend eternity in a disembodied heavenly existence. ( )
  gwhittick | Jun 25, 2015 |
NCLA Review: Heaven is big right now. With top-selling titles like Rob Bell’s LOVE WINS, Todd Burpo’s HEAVEN IS FOR REAL, and evangelical pastor Randy Alcorn’s HEAVEN and numerous related volumes, people are surrounded with guides on what to expect of heaven, eye-witness accounts of what it was like for a few who claim to have been there, and in some cases refutations that heaven exists at all. A calm voice among the controversy is Paula Gooder in Heaven, a slim volume that describes its goal as “to give an introduction to the vast subject of heaven in the Bible.” In chapters such as “In the beginning . . . heaven and earth”, “From heaven to earth: angelic messengers”, and 7 more, Gooder delves into the Biblical presentation of heaven, explaining concepts in the context of their time, helping us understand the Greek and Hebrew roots of some of the important terms in Scripture, and showing parallels and differences between heavenly visions as recorded in the Bible. Though clearly written for laypersons, this is a serious work. It is not a light read but is a worthwhile one. The book is carefully annotated and contains a bibliography for further reading, as well as indexes to the content. Recommended for most church libraries. Rating: 3 – KLF ( )
  ncla | Mar 13, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 028106234X, Paperback)

Paula Gooder considers the ways in which the Bible sees heaven and earth connecting, and explores all the major strands of belief about life after death, including the role of paradise, and what happens between death and resurrection. She shows how the biblical writers see heaven and earth as closely connected, so that what happens in heaven affects events on earth and vice versa.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

In this engaging survey Paula Gooder looks at the ways in which the biblical writers saw heaven and earth connect, exploring all the major strands of belief about life after death, including the role of paradise, and what happens between death and resurrection. 'Heaven is one of those great mysteries that somehow symbolizes what we don't know about ourselves and the world around us. At the same time it lifts our vision from the mundane realities of our lives and reminds us that beyond the daily grind of our existence there is another, unseen reality. A reality governed not by the things of earth but by the things of God. A reality that is as real - if not more so - than our everyday lives.' (from the introduction).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible