King of the Mild Frontier: An Ill-Advised…

King of the Mild Frontier: An Ill-Advised Autobiography

by Chris Crutcher

Looking forward to hearing Chris talk at next weekend's Children's Literature conference here in Singapore. Hilarious memoir... Parts would be great as a read-aloud to students. Now to read or re-read a few of his YA books. ( )
  katie | Apr 7, 2013 |
This book was actually quite funny. I had only read one of Crutcher's books before reading his autobiography, and I can definitely see how his work and life shape his writing. I laughed quite often while reading this book and I may pick up more of Crutcher's work as a result. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Chris Crutcher has written a hilarious book about his life. The book is essentially short episodes of his life growing up in the small town of Cascade, Idaho. He writes about how he was a cry baby when he was a little boy and which later attributes to an anger management problem. He tells tales of how his brother used to trick him into doing things, like urinating in a heating vent in their house. He also talks about his crush on a young girl and his troubles with love. The book is very comical and tells mostly of mishaps from his childhood. Its a wonderful coming of age story for anyone to read. It will help younger audiences to see that what is serious and stressful as a child, ends up being funny as an adult. I really enjoyed this novel and would recommend it to anyone. ( )
  laurenryates | Apr 19, 2012 |
This book was a class requirement. I've never heard of Chris Crutcher, and wondered why his memoir was considered "Young Adult" at my local library. Now I know - he's a YA author. The stories he tells are entertaining, if not quaint in that "grandpa remembering the good ol' days sort of way". Some of the things he discusses can relate to any generation, such as the death of a young friend, others can only exist in a by-gone day (such as the antics discussed in Chapter 5). It was a humorous, light read - reminded me a lot of Jean Shepherd's In God We Trust (aka A Christmas Story) - but I can't help but feel I'd enjoy it more if I was either a) over the age of 50 or b) a Chris Crutcher fan. ( )
  Rigfield | Jan 16, 2011 |
Very funny book . I think Chris Crutcher would be a great guy to have a beer with. His brother not so much. I so loved the stories of his childhood. Especially peeing into the furnace. Can't recommend this book enough! ( )
  knitwit2 | Nov 22, 2010 |

Do you know:

A good reason to be phobic about oysters and olives?

How shutting your mouth can help you avoid brain surgery?

How to survive in the winter wilderness with only a fishing pole and a sausage?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:20 -0400)

Chris Crutcher, author of young adult novels such as "Ironman" and "Whale Talk, " as well as short stories, tells of growing up in Cascade, Idaho, and becoming a writer. Chris Crutcher, author of young adult novels such as "Ironman" and "Whale Song, " as well as short stories, tells of growing up in Cascade, Idaho, and becoming a writer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible