Static by Tawny Stokes

Static

by Tawny Stokes

I was not sure how I felt after reading this book. So it was 2.5 stars for me but, because of the uniqueness of the book I rounded it up to 3 stars. I really liked Salem and her friends. There was many portions of the book where I was absolutely confused but, I still found that I enjoyed the story. I felt that the book was missing something and needed a little more. I think that the book was decent and would definitely suggest this as a light read! ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Talk about some life changing music! I really loved this book. I think the plot line of this book really grips the reader. I am always amazed at the writer's out of the box imagination to create such a great and wonderful story!

Ok, first the plot line of this book is nothing like I've read before. I enjoyed being pulled in all kinds of directions but also diving into a book with a unique storyline. I love the thought of music becoming static. If what you hearing is not all that your hearing, but subliminal messages hidden within the music. The plot line never fell short. It caught the reader quickly from page one, never letting the reader go.

I loved how well Ms. Stokes brings the reader to a place in the book to connect with the characters. Ms. Stokes created likeable characters that anyone can connect to. You feel the characters angry and grief over what is taken from them unexpectedly. I enjoyed their harbored angry along with the plot to get back at them. It's like a lion hunting its prey. The characters completely engrossed to reader, that you are no longer yourself, but Trevor and Salem fighting for their lives.

The slight touch of love in this book gave a right combination of peace to it. The love that grew before the reader eyes set the tone for the book. That there is hope when you think you have nothing left. Ms. Stokes set the opportunity for love when there is fighting everywhere else. I really liked that it wasn't a insta-love but once that grew through survival.

Static, is a dark and thrilling book that I can read again. Filled with a revengeful plot and music that is not all what it is, Static is awesome! If you love a good paranormal book with a fresh twist read this book! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Dec 23, 2011 |
Review by: Shyla

Right out the gate I realized that Static wasn’t your average YA novel. The world Salem Vale lives in is gritty, dark and at times almost too real for a seventeen year old. With an ex groupie for a Mother, Goth Style, and balls the size of King Kong, Salem is a strange mixture of maturity, darkness, and vulnerability. Salem and her best friend Chloe have spent their entire summer following around their favorite band Malice, with all of their attempts to get backstage ending in failure. This is their last show in the area, so when Salem gets her hand on a backstage pass it seems like fate. Until a kiss from the dark and brooding lead singer Thane renders her unconscious.

Waking up in a dumpster without her cell phone or id is just the beginning of Salem’s problem as her life begins to unravel. A near death experience lands her in a hospital, and her life begins to read like an eighties horror movie. Her eyes bleed black, leaking a tar like substance, she wakes up floating near the ceiling, and she has a hunger for something other than food.

At this point you’d be inclined to think Malice must have been vampires, but you would be wrong, which is a huge part of what makes Static so very brilliant! Malice is a den of demons better known as succubus , and now Salem has become one of them. Her journey to this knowledge is filled with various trials, and a mysterious boy named Trevor who seems to know everything. This dark desire filled world is captivating and the plot is constantly going in a new and unexpected direction! Tawny infuses drama with humor in a seamless manor that keeps the story fresh.

One minute you’re laughing and the next you’ve been slipped into a moment that chills the blood in your veins. This creepy thriller is an echo of horror movies gone by. With its blend of romance, suspense, violence and macabre themes! This is one that teens and the older crowd alike can enjoy. But parents are forewarned there are a lot of adult themes in this one.

http://www.romancing-the-book.com/2011/08/book-tour-review-static-by-tawny-stoke... ( )
  RtB | Sep 9, 2011 |

Vivi Anna is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,621,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible