The First Stone: The Diary of Mary Magdalene…

The First Stone: The Diary of Mary Magdalene (A.D. Scrolls)

by Bodie Thoene

91950,433 (3)None

After reading Bodie & Brock Thoene's book “Against the Wind” I was intrigued to find another of their titles pop out at me. “The First Stone, The Diary of Mary Magdalene” is an amazing story. The couple has received many accolades for their ability to weave both fact and fiction into their story-telling. Taking what we know of Mary Magdalene from the bible, they sought to fill in the spaces with a story of “what might have been.”

I enjoying reading stories such as these. The bible itself is a great story-teller, but often you are wanting more – what happened in between... the next day... what was in like to be there? I've read Walter Wangerin's stories of both Paul and Jesus that are fictional novels, telling a story based on biblical knowledge. This story of Mary has captured my heart.

The story is told through a husband and wife in 1948, who are separated during the capture of Jerusalem. As a gift for his wife, he translates a manuscript found beneath Jerusalem, which is the diary of Mary Magdalene.

We know from the bible that Mary was the sister to Martha and Lazarus. Possessed by demons, she was the harlot that was to be stoned, and the one that sat at Jesus' feet as his taught. She became one of his faithful followers, wept tears at his crucifixion, and was the one that Jesus first appeared to when He rose again. But what was Mary's life like before she met Jesus? What led her down the path of her near destruction?

Although we will never know this side of heaven what those answers are, The First Stone provides what could have been. The historical fiction story made my heart weep for Mary, and regardless of what her real story was, it is obvious that she suffered greatly before Jesus entered her life. The story came to life watching her struggle with the “human-ness” of her faults and doubts.

My only regret with the book was where it ended. As the stones were dropped to the ground, instead of cast upon her, her new forgiven life filled the emptiness she fought so hard against. I would have loved to follow in her footsteps as she walked along with Jesus, even through her heartbreak of losing Him at the cross and what it must have been like to see Him again outside that tomb. Mary will always be one of my favorites now. And I consider this a must read for anyone, especially those that struggle with sin in their life. She was a shinning example of Jesus' love, forgiveness and faithfulness.
  SonyaTyler | May 12, 2012 |

The voices inside her whisper, Forgiveness? Yes, for them, but never for you. The story of Mary Magdalene, in her own words. As the harsh Jerusalem winter of 1948 wears on Rachel Sachar, beautiful holocaust survivor, prays for some word from her husband Moshe who vanished in the secret tunnels beneath Jerusalem. Then one night a stranger named Eben Golah arrives with a message from Moshe and the translation of the ancient diary of Mary Magdalene. Like Rachel, Mary was a beautiful child. Everyone said so. Tragedy struck, everything changed in Marys family. Her dreams of love and children of her own abruptly ended. No amount of wealth or male companionship can bring Mary what she really longs for, nor can they stop the voices calling, Finish it! You have no reason to live. No hope But might there be a second chance, even for someone like her. Secretly, she wonders. 2,000 years separate the tragic stories of Mary Magdalene and Rachel Sachar, and yet their lives lead to Yeshua of Nazareth in Old Jerusalem. Will these women find freedom and forgiveness? Or will Yeshua cast the first stone? This is Marys story, from her own diary, as translated by Jewish Haganah fighter and scholar Moshe Sachar in 1948, as he prepares to emerge from his hiding place in the secret library under besieged Jerusalem.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,182,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible