Straight to Hell by Michelle Scott

Straight to Hell

by Michelle Scott

I began this book thinking it would be a typical paranormal book however typical it is not. It is definitely one of the most unique stories I have read. I loved the sharp, sarcastic wit and humor. My favorite! It also touched on some interesting issues such as spirituality but in a light way which contributed to the story. I can't imagine what the author will have up her sleeve for the sequel but I can't wait to find out. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Don't pay attention to the unfortunate cover, this book is funny, smart and sad at the same time, and certainly worth your time.

It works, simply because each of us can relate to Lilith. She is thirty something, recently divorced, saddled with a daughter whom she loves dearly, a distantly related hellion niece who accidentally burned her house, and a beautiful step-sister, who can't grow up and get a job.

Lilith is a substitute teacher, out of work, with bills piling up and credit cards maxing out. She is on the verge of being broke. Until the day she dies.

Transported to Hell, which is appropriately a big bureaucratic machine, Lilith finds out that one of her ancestors made a deal with the devil to escape death. One female of her line will always carry a succubus demon in her, and now Lilith's mom died and it's her turn.

Horrified, Lilith is sent back and has to struggle with her own morality and sense of right while Hell sends her on little tasks of seducing humans to the dark side. She might not need to have sex with them, but she tips the scales by her words or actions, so their souls will go to Hell.

Of course, Lilith is a disaster despite the help of a gorgeous William Darcy, an incubus and a friend of her mother. Allowing her demon a free reign will help her family survive and escape the bankruptcy and starvation, but her consciousness keeps messing up until enraged Hell gives her an ultimatum - do something BIG for them or they'll make her daughter a succubus instead...

A lovely and easy, bittersweet read. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Lilly Straight had it all, the husband, the daughter, the house, the money, the perfect life we all dream about every now and then. But after a series of events force her to give up her haute couture life style, Lilly most find a way to make ends meet if she wants to be able to support her family. It is at that moment that you belief you have begun to figure things out that life chooses to play one of its crazy cards and literary turn your world topsy-turvi. That is exactly what happens to Lilly, thanks to an accident she was sent straight to hell and now must honor a bargain with a demon done by one of her ancestors some generations back in order to be able to continue to care for her family. As succubi, Lilly must tempt people so that they fall to their doom, but is she capable of sacrificing other’s souls in order to save her own?

Straight to Hell was a surprising reading with a story that once it has grabs you it refuses to let go. The story mixes the typical aspects and struggles of everyday life while adding as extra pressure the paranormal realm to create a compelling story with the age old battle of good vs evil. The book follows the life of a struggling mother trying to find her footing after practically losing all she was used to and finding herself barely able to scrape by for survival. To top things off she has to look after her nice and her irresponsible younger sister. And as if that wasn’t enough there is a very sexy incubus who’s giving the rounds around our heroine.

I love to see that the main character has mundane obstacles to go through aside from the expected paranormal ones that are a staple of the genre. There are two reasons that enjoyed this struggles and it has nothing to do with the sheer pain. One is that it grounds the character making it more relatable that if the character was purely all mighty. It is easy to feel for Lilly, the single mother who can barely hold a job because she is going through one of those bad streaks we all get from time to time. Second, when you throw in the supernatural factors and you can see that the main character, through thick and thin, manages to ultimately juggle all of her problems and still come out on top, you can see that there is a strength within the character that makes it even more kick ass that if they she were burning cities on her wake. Lilly has a resilience to conform to other people’s impositions; she will question everything and determine the answers herself instead of letting others do the thinking for her.

The bottom line is that I couldn’t put this book down. I began reading it around noon and was it was close to midnight when I realize that I had finished it. It’s a quick, very entertaining read that I would recommend.

WARNING: Lilly Straight is a fictional character that questions God’s seemingly lack of actions towards our very corrupted society and who will challenge him whenever she can. Alternately, Lilly has a strong moral compass which, without divine intervention (that can be noted), allows her to fight her own personal temptations; proving that religion and values don’t necessarily go hand in hand with one another and that people can display one without the other. If it’s really hard for you to read about this sort of character, then you might want to skip this book. ( )
  Soireb | Mar 30, 2013 |
*Received e-book through Read It and Reap program from the Shut Up and Read! Goodreads group from author for an honest review;
**also posted on Amazon.com under Leanne

Straight to Hell is told by the point-of-view of Lilith Straight, a 30+ year old divorcee/substitute teacher (once extremely rich) who currently struggling to pay the bills for herself, her daughter, a niece abandoned by her sister-in-law, and a stepsister kicked out by her mother. After she is fatally struck by a car, she finds herself in hell, given an ultimatum by Miss Spry, to either uphold a long-standing bargain by a female ancestor to become a succubus or to remain dead. Given her family/responsibilities, she chooses to share her body with a demon, permanently on call for any assignment from Miss Spry.

Scott succeeds in writing an entertaining, fast-paced book with a little romance thrown in and unexpectedly touching moments. It was hilarious to see Lilith give over to her demon side, especially the scenes with her ex-husband, a funeral director, and a Rodeo Drive store clerk. In addition, the scenes with the incubus, Mr. Darcy, were charming although I wished they were longer and more developed. It was also pleasantly surprising to feel moved by her struggle with her various missions as she questions the morality of her actions and whether they were justified in protecting her family. I loved the final twist at the end when Lilith must face the final choice of whether to stay a succubus and proving the conviction of her decision.

Overall, Straight to Hell was a fun, fast read (I finished this in one sitting). Scott did wrap up this first novel well, but I was enjoying it so much I did want more – it is more like a novella or teaser at ~120 pages. I am definitely looking forward to reading the next book. I would highly recommend this book to fans of paranormal romances such as the Jane True series by Nicole Peeler or the Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper. ( )
1 vote LeanneSF | Mar 24, 2012 |
Originally posted on my blog http://ufreview.com/2012/03/08/straight-to-hell-lilith-straight-1/

Review:

I got a copy of Straight to Hell through the Read it and Reap program on Goodreads, so thanks to the author and the program for making this happen. This book was not what I expected and yet at the same time it was...confusing right. From the description and the cover I expected a funny paranormal romance, a quick read and it did start out that way but about halfway through things change.

Lilith is a newly divorced single parent, she also has her niece living with her and the kid is strange, her beautiful lazy unemployed sister lives with her also and drags along the occasional boyfriend to stay there too. Her job sucks and her ex husband is a douche, she gets hit by a car wakes up in hell and discovers some old family curse that forces her to be a succubus. Lots of oppurtunity for comedy and in the beginning there was lots of it. About halfway through the book start to get a lot more serious and Lilith has some heavy moral decisions. The administration in Hell says "do what you're told or else" and the or else is pretty serious leaving Lilith some crappy choices.

Lilith as a character was kind of whiny and frequently got on my nerves and the "...oh so yummy, incubus" was even less likable than her. A few of the minor characters were interesting like Lilith's niece, one very strange child and the administrator from Hell that liked watching Real Housewives. Other than that the characters kind of fell flat. They did have Jesus make an appearance and he was well...kind of an ass, so that was disappointing.

The story, though well written was not exactly what I was expecting but that's more my issue than the author's. While this was the first book in a series it didn't really feel like it, I don't have a burning desire to read the second book because it will resolve issues in this one. Will I read another book in the series? Probably but I won't be waiting in line for it to come off the presses. For me the book was ok, not great not awful just ok so it's a 3/5.

♥ ♥ ♥ 3/5 Meh, it was Ok ( )
  ufreview | Mar 8, 2012 |

The moment Lilith Straight dies, the Devil appears to claim her soul and cash in on a longtime family curse. Now, Lilith has no choice but to work for him as a succubus. The job is bad, the boss is worse, and she can’t imagine how she’ll explain her new reincarnation to her eight-year-old daughter. But then an arrogant, yet oh so yummy, incubus shows up…and hell heats up just a little more.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Michelle Scott's book Straight to Hell was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Michelle Scott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,747,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible