The Three-Minute Universe by Barbara Paul

An intriguing Star Trek novel about a much-maligned race called the Sackers, who are so offensive to all the senses that they sicken human beings. The sackers have stolen a revolutionary scientific device, murdering a race in the process, and are using it to open a hole in our universe, consigning it to certain doom unless Kirk can defeat the Sackers and stop the process. A good adventure, but the idea of developing friendly relations with a race that could do what the Sackers have done is somewhat unsettling. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 15, 2007 |

Barbara Paulprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paul, Barbaramain authorall editionsconfirmed
"The galaxy is on fire," said Captain James T Kirk.

"HELMSMAN, FULL REVERSE!" KIRK SHOUTED ...

"Full reverse," Sulu moved quickly, responding to the urgency in the captain's voice without understanding the reason for it.

"Course, Captain?" Checkov sounded puzzled.

"Away from ... that!" Kirk gestured toward the main viewscreen, which now was showing streaks of exploding gas in the distance. "Spock - any chance your figures could be wrong?"

"No, Captain, I've checked them twice. We are now retreating from the effects of a primal explosion identical to the one that gave rise to the universe we are living in."

Kirk didn't like it; he didn't like it at all. "So what we're seeing is a new universe in the process of being born," he said heavily.

"Inside our universe?" Checkov protested; "But we were here first!"

The Sackers. In all Captain James T. Kirk's travels, he has never found a race more universally shunned and abhorred. Their mere appearance causes most Federation members to become violently ill.

Now the Sackers have performed a deed whose brutality matches their horrifying exterior. They have stolen a revolutionary new scientific device -- murdering an entire race in the process -- and used it to create a rip in the fabric of space, a hole through which another universe is rapidly leaking. Unless Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise can find a way to stop the new universe's expansion, it will consume -- and utterly destroy -- our own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,485,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible