Time of the Faeries: Afterlight, End of the…

Time of the Faeries: Afterlight, End of the World

by J. Corsentino

222,551,640 (4)None
Recently added bykrau0098, Laurie170

I asked for this book for Christmas a few years ago because I absolutely loved the cover and what I saw of the illustration throughout. I finally got a chance to sit down and read it and was a bit disappointed. All of it is okay but the pictures throughout don’t really do much to enhance the story which is a pity because a lot of the pictures are pretty neat.

This is the start of a story that talks about the downfall of humanity and its redemption by Angels. However when the humans fail to make a great comback, and the life force on earth dwindles, the Angels are forced to feed on human life force. As the angels drive humanity to extinction one of them, an Angel named Halyon, thinks that maybe the angels are wrong.

The illustration throughout is basically a bunch of photography of models souped up with photoshop to look really cool. It is very pretty and neat to look at. However absolutely everyone featured is a super hot looking model type with heaving cleavage (well not the couple guys in here but the rest). Which normally I wouldn’t mind except that these images contradict the story a lot.

So as mentioned there is a lot of contradiction both between the illustration and the story itself. In the prologue it talks about how none of the structure humans built are left standing anymore, then it goes on to deal with a tribe of angels who is squatting in the skyscrapers of LA. I mean...uh..okay...didn’t you just say that none of these buildings were left?

It goes on like this. For examples one of the female character is described as having “a face that looks like it’s been under one too many engine blocks. Guns are strapped across her frame.” and then the picture shown is of this super hot scantily clad chick with absolutely no weaponry (she barely has a top on at all). The whole book is plagued with weird inconsistencies like that.

After the Foreword by the author talking about the seven year effort it took to put this together I was left confused. The whole thing seems a bit slapped together and awkward.

Overall okay but flawed. I liked the pretty pictures, I liked the idea behind that story. However in the end there were a lot of inconsistencies and the writing was pretty poor. This is more of a lookbook than anything. I wouldn’t recommend picking this up...it just felt too unfinished and cobbled together. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 24, 2015 |
This is a beautifully illustrated graphic novel. I personally think the story was weird and very creepy. I have a difficult time trying to accept the idea of evil angels….then I have the dilemma, are they truly evil? It certainly seems so – mostly. But this series starts at the end, AND I am so eager for the next installment so I can hopefully find out what happened that brought about this bleak future.

The bombs have detonated across the world, only a small group of humans remain alive, struggling for existence in Los Angeles 2078. A few shape-shifting warriors do their best to protect the small human band. The situation truly is dire. With the world mostly depopulated, Angels – those beautiful immortal beings who once protected humanity – now must feed off the diminishing supply of energy, or life force, called Kai, from individual people; because, now, even the immortal Angels face extinction. There is one Angel who vows to fight the hunger but will her efforts be enough?

The imagination inherent in the amazing illustrations is just astounding! I read this book on my computer since I have a regular Kindle only and I wanted to experience the breath-taking beauty of the images in their full, colorful glory. This book has superlative illustrations on every page. The beautiful artwork alone will blow you away. This is the first installment in a planned series, and it is not to be missed - it promises to be an expansive new mythology that is sure to set all sorts of creative benchmarks.

This book was given to me by the Author in digital format, coordinated by Bewitching Book Tours, in return for my candid review. I am under no obligation to write a glowing or even favorable review, and I have not received any monetary compensation.

Laurie-J ( )
  Laurie170 | Sep 9, 2011 |

This is the end of the world. The end of our world. What went wrong? Why do the angels, once guardians charged with our protection and safety, now hunt us to extinction? As we become fewer and fewer will the questions be answered, or lost in the fires of ritual? When all things fade in the Afterlight...What will be left of hope?

Time of the Faeries: Afterlight, End of the World is the first of a four part graphic novel series featuring the photographic art of J. Corsentino.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:37 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible