Enchantress of Rurne by Chris Turner

Enchantress of Rurne

by Chris Turner

Sigh... another bad fantasy novel with too much sex and violence. To me the story was going well, an act of revenge for the murder of a teacher, and so on an epic quest the main character goes... Too bad in the story the plot line is lost and focuses on a sidequest by an evil woman, who of course, in the middle of an intimate moment, they are interrupted. Instead of staying and having a fairytale ending, however, the main charter Taar leaves. Rewrite and rethink. ( )
1 vote kristincedar | Jan 12, 2012 |
I found this book to be quite rushed. I was confused why it was so short as this story line could have easily taken up many more pages than showed up in my e-reader! I wish it had been longer and the characters more well introduced. ( )
1 vote bookwurm84 | Dec 29, 2011 |
Note: this review contains spoilers!!

This is my second read of a Turner book and while this one is better, I am disappointed. In this novella, as well as the first book, I find that the story line is somewhat lacking. Taar seeks to avenge the death of his master and retrieve a stolen artifact. But his quest is interrupted by the sorceress who binds him to her so he can be the sacrifice that will release her from her demonic captivity. But the demon catches them unawares and defeats Taar and takes the Enchantress into the shadow world. So Taar goes on with is quest, finds those who killed his master, kills them and gets back the artifact.

My synopsis is only slightly shorter than the story. While I think there is a good idea and a good story here, there is too much detail left out, the characters are not fully developed and at the conclusion the reader is left to ask why did we even hear the story of the enchantress? What was the point? Why did Taar need the artifact and what is next?

I understand that this is part of a larger collection and perhaps these questions are answered in the larger collection, but as a stand alone work, it leaves too many things unanswered. ( )
  Al-G | Nov 16, 2011 |
This story is part of a collection published under the title Fantastic Realms. Author Chris Turner has taken his time crafting the world in this story & for the first half it shows, however towards the end, the tale seems rushed as if it was being written for a contest with a length restriction. Had Mr. Turner taken as much time with the end of the story as he did with the beginning, it would have earned a much higher rating. Instead the promise of the introduction falls a bit flat. I would like to see this story revisited & expanded, as there appears to be much more the characters have to tell us. ( )
  Kathryn_Anne_Merkel | Nov 2, 2011 |
Taar, a warrior, sets out to avenge the murder of his master but is waylaid by a seductress who has her own plans for him. This is a very short story with an interesting premise. However, since my taste in fantasy runs to Brent Weeks and Steven Erikson, I found the writing just a tad too flowery. Still, that is a personal prejudice so, given the brevity of the story, you might want to give it a try for yourself - even if you share my taste in language, the story, itself, isn't half bad. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Nov 1, 2011 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Chris Turner's book Enchantress of Rurne was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Chris Turner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible