Kyoko's House by Yukio Mishima

Kyoko's House

by Yukio Mishima

7None1,138,814None1
Recently added bygabbyqlee, jcccwa, Jeshika, Proclus, ill_ame, GYKM
    Forbidden Colors by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: Deals with the same time period as Kyoko's House. A double-novel like Kyoko's House.
    After the Banquet by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: A commercial and literary success written, more or less, in response to the critical and commercial failure of [Kyoko's House].
    The Sunken Waterfall by 由紀夫 三島 (GYKM)
    GYKM: Deals with the same time period, place, and culture.
    The Age of Blue by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: Deals with the same time period, place, and culture.
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: Deals with the same time period and the state of Japan back then.

No reviews
"(A) model of classical psychological fiction," this is "Mishima's greatest masterpiece since Confessions of a Mask"
added by GYKM | editDokushojin, Okuno Takeo

While Kyoko's House "fails as a full-length novel" and "you rarely get a novel so static, so devoid of conflicts among the human beings," the novel is "nothing but a brilliant success." "What lives in 'Kyoko's House' is the spirit of the era called 'postwar,'" and "(t)his spirit is entirely alien to what popular historians of thought call social reformism, democracy, new education, what the revolutionary intellectuals of the late 1930s called 'the second youth,' and all other fragments of Zeitgeist, and yet it is what lurks at the bottom of it all."
added by GYKM | editGunzo, Eto Jun

"Balzac would have created a fresco; all Mishima requires is a large mirror…. I wonder if he intended to reflect the outside world. I think this is a trick of Mishima’s: to claim he is going to reflect the outside and actually to show us the inside."
added by GYKM | editBungakkai, Eto Jun

"All the characters are just parts of Mishima; all the novel presents is the extraordinarily isolated, internalized world of Mishima himself... Initially he may have intended the mirror ... to reflect the outside world. But all he actually did was to show us an explanation of his own inner world."
added by GYKM | editBungakkai, Saeki Shoichi

"This is his first big failure."
added by GYKM | editBungakkai, Yamamoto Kenkkichi

Only art makes human beauty endure.
You must commit suicide at the height of your beauty.
Because the less a guy believes the more effective he is. Look at me. I know perfectly well I don’t believe. I see this ideology outside of myself, and I use it as a tool to obtain an indescribable rapture, to feel that my own death and the death of others is always close to me. That feeling is my qualification as an effective member of the group, as effective as you can be.
You're like me. My beautiful shadow. You're vain and bored. Full of yourself. You like to play childish games. You're an actor, aren't you?
Write: "I hereby certify that my life and body belong to Kiyomi Akita."

Written over a span of 15-months from March 1958 to June 1959, totalling 947 pages (original Japanese manuscript), and published in two parts, [Kyoko no Ie], Mishima's so-called "study of nihilism" told the intertwined stories of four men in post-Korean War Japan. Mishima took the opportunity of the close of the decade to give his final retrospective judgement of an era of young men whose potential he believed were wasted; something he could only do so as a contemporary eye-witness in his earlier novels [Ao no Jidai], [Kinkaku-ji], and [Shizumeru Taki]. At the time it was published, Mishima considered [Kyoko no Ie] to be his masterpiece.

The cool critical and commercial responses to this novel marked the end of Mishima's peak literary period—he virtually dominated Japanese literature and the stage during the 1950s, the beginning of his disdain for literary critics, and his deeper involvement in films and theatre. [Kyoko no Ie] has never been fully translated into English, however, translated passages of it appear in John Nathan's [Mishima: A Biography] and as dialogue in Paul Schrader's film [Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters].

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,309,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible