Eternity by Greg Bear

Eternity (1988)

by Greg Bear

Series: The Eon Series (2), The Way (2)

This second book in the series was more difficult to follow than the first book, but it was well worth the effort. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
This book is the sequel to Eon. It tells the continuing stories of some of the key characters from the earlier book. There are two parallel stories. Firstly, that of the people on the asteroid world Thistledown, including those that settled on Earth and those in the settlements from the Way. In parallel, there is the story of Patricia Vasquez's granddaughter Rhita, who has inherited her grandmother's abilities and objects, and is seeking a way back into the Way under the patronage of Queen Kleopatra XXI of the enduring Alexandrian empire. We see these divergent stories converge together with two of the humans that continued down the Way at the end of Eon. The ending has cosmic significance.

Having been introduced to the concept of the Way in Eon, in my opinion its significance is not as great in this book, especially when it is not present for most of the story. However, the intrigue between the various human factions and the Jarts assumes a greater importance as the fate of all are intertwined with that of the Way. Thus, I consider this book to be not as good as the first but I still believe it is worth 4 stars out of 5. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Jun 11, 2017 |
the sequel to Eon. Not nearly as interesting. Lots of junk about the future affecting the past to cause itself. Explored what humanity might become. Why does it seem that most evolutionistic authors assume that we will all become some sort of group mind meld? More likely we will kill ourselves off first. I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as Eon. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
At the end of 'Eon', the Way, the artificial universe in the form of an infinite tunnel was separated from Thistledown, the asteroid/starship that served as the Way's anchor in our universe. Some characters chose to stay in the Way and explore its infinite length; others chose to stay in Earth space and assist the inhabitants of the planet in reconstruction after a nuclear war. Now, forty years later, someone appears on Earth who ought not to be there, with a fantastic story and an even more astonishing request.

'Eon' was mainly taken up with gosh-wowery at the Way and the worlds that could be accessed from it. The characters were only reasonably well-drawn, and some didn't even come up to that standard; but just as I felt over the relationship between 'The Forge of God' and its sequel, 'Anvil of Stars', that Bear's writing had undergone something of a transformation between the first and second books, and the second novel was more engaging, with better characterisation, so I felt with 'Eternity'. Having introduced us to the Way, the Hexamon and its politics, the characters and some of their histories, in this second book Bear gets to grips with some of the implications of the "Sundering", the separation of the Way and the asteroid; and some of the characters undergo major transformations, not all of which could have been foretold.

One of the characters from the first book, the mathematician Patricia Vasquez, only makes it into this one as the grandmother of one of the p.o.v. characters in a parallel world now isolated from the Way. This world is quite interesting, being a society descended from Graeco-Roman Egypt in a world where Christianity never gained a serious foothold, and Bear makes a good stab at depicting a world very different from our own. Perhaps my one complaint about the book is that having spent a lot of time setting up Patricia Vasquez's grand-daughter in this alternate reality, Bear then abandons her for a major part of the last third of the book until she is effectively sacrificed to allow the essence of her grandmother to be placed back in her own best of all possible worlds. I was less than happy about that.

But overall, I found this book quite engaging and an exemplar of what a sequel ought to be about. The story started in 'Eon' ends here, and the final book in the series, 'Legacy', is a prequel. ( )
1 vote RobertDay | May 18, 2015 |
One of the things that makes great science fiction stand out is the big ideas. Eternity is full of big ideas. The story is well told, although it takes a while to get going, but once it does it clips along at a fair rate. Highly recommended. ( )
  MichaelBrookes | Jul 18, 2013 |

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hunt, StevenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey, DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Only when space is rolled up like a piece of leather will there be an end to suffering, apart from knowing God. --Svetasvatara Upanisad, VI 20
For David McClintock; friend, fellow admirer of Olaf Stapledon, and above all, bookseller.
In the end, there is cruelty and death alone over the land.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446601888, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the powerful sequel to Eon, now with a dramatic new cover, coinciding with the Tor mass market release of Bear's latest novel, Moving Mars. At the close of Eon, Patricia Vasquez settled on an alternate Earth, Garry Lanier retired, and the Jarts and Naderites were caught in the Corridor. Now the fate of the universe is up for grabs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

"Multiple Nebula and Hugo Award-winner Greg Bear returns to the Earth of his acclaimed novel Eon--a world devastated by nuclear war. The crew of the asteroid-starship Thistledown has thwarted an attack by the Jarts by severing their link to the Way, an endless corridor that spans universes. The asteroid settled into orbit around Earth and the tunnel snaked away, forming a contained universe of its own. Forty years later, on Gaia, Rhita Vaskayza recklessly pursues her legacy, seeking an Earth once again threatened by forces from within and without. For physicist Konrad Korzenowski, murdered for creating The Way, and resurrected, is compelled by a faction determined to see it opened once more. And humankind will discover just how entirely they have underestimated their ancient adversaries."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,154,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible