Heart of a Killer by David Rosenfelt

Heart of a Killer

by David Rosenfelt

Four years ago, sitting next to her husband’s bloody body Sheryl Harrison confessed to his murder. It was an open and shut case as far as the police were concerned. Now Sheryl needs a lawyer to help her make amends. Enter Jamie Wagner … uninterested, unmotivated and definitely an underachiever at his corporate law offices. Sheryl’s was a mandatory pro bono case that landed on his desk. From the minute he met Sheryl he knew that the pieces did not quite fit. But now she was asking him to do the impossible. Throw in the police, the FBI, a computer genius/homegrown terrorist, an insurance scam, twists and turns galore and a terminally ill teenager and it all adds up to a page turner.

I have read David Rosenfelt books for years and love his Andy Carpenter character. When I first started reading this book I sighed with resolution and thought we were going rehash Andy in a younger, slightly less jaded form. I was a little upset because if you are going to give me Andy Carpenter give me the real thing. I couldn’t have been more mistaken. Although Jamie has some of Andy’s sarcasm and edginess he is very much his own character. It’s fun watching him “grow up” throughout this story. Kudos Mr. Rosenfelt. As much as I like Andy I hope there is more Jamie in the future too.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I liked his Andy Carpenter series, a lawyer with the Golden Retriever, Tara, & I have to give Rosenfelt a lot of credit for running a dog rescue operation while writing crime novels. This might be the best book I've listened to by him, a stand alone.

The main character is a rather lazy, directionless, dissatisfied lawyer, a drone. There are two main threads; a woman who wants to donate her heart to her daughter & a computer terrorist wreaking havoc. Both are very believable, give plenty of food for thought, & come with ready-made twists.

Donating your heart is suicidal, but so is jumping on a grenade & both are heroic. Yet the first is illegal, while the second is not only legal, but praiseworthy. Our hero must solve this dilemma among other things.

With all this going on, the book could have bogged down, but it never did. The characters all popped & moved it along to a conclusion. I won't say more about that, but the journey is a lot of fun.

I'm tempted to take away a star because of the reader. His regular voice was fine, but when he attempted other voices, it wasn't pretty. In fact, it was usually pretty awful. Thankfully, most of this was in the hero's voice. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I was really excited last year when I learned David Rosenfelt had a new book out. I've totally enjoyed the Andy Carpenter series. I was disappointed when I found out this new one was a stand alone. I was even more disappointed when I read the promo hype. It did not sound like I plot that I'd be interested in. Well, a year or so later I finally got around to it and I listened to it in less than 24 hours. [I do mostly audio books as I have a disability that makes it hard for me to hold books.] It was a very entertaining read. And the audio version was very well done. Good character development. This new attorney had an attitude not unlike Andy Carpenter's wise-cracking style but he was very different than Andy. Suspense, twists and turns, all kept me totally engaged in the book. Indeed some of the plot elements were quite far-fetched, but this is well done light fiction. And David Rosenfelt handled familial organ transplant a whole lot better than Jodi Picoult. ( )
  zoomball | May 12, 2014 |
First read of this author. Funny main character. Good dialogue. Interesting premis. Will keep reading more by this author. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
An interesting look at the legalities of a convicted murderer who wishes to commit suicide in order to donate her heart to her dying daughter who is in desparate need of a transplant. I could have done without the gratuitous slaughtering of hundreds of people through airplane, amusement ride and other disasters orchestrated by the "evil computer genious" who set the woman up in the first place. ( )
  CarterPJ | Jul 24, 2012 |

"Jamie Wagner is a young lawyer who is happy to be flying under the radar at a large firm doing background research for the partners. It's not that he isn't smart. He is. It's just that hard work, the whole legal world, isn't really his thing. Underachiever? Yes. Content? At least until the firm puts him on a case that turns his whole world upside down. Sheryl Harrison has served four years of a thirty-year murder sentence for killing her husband who she claims abused her and her daughter Karen. The case is settled. There shouldn't be anything for Jamie to do--except Karen is sick. She has a congenital heart defect and will die without a transplant, and her rare blood type makes the chance of finding a matching donor remote. Sheryl wants to be that donor, and Jamie is in way over his head. Suicide, no matter the motive, is illegal, and Sheryl is put on suicide watch. Jamie's only shot at helping Sheryl and saving Karen is to reopen the murder case, prove Sheryl's innocence, and get her freed so that she can pursue her plan on her own. A gripping story of an ordinary man faced with an impossible situation, David Rosenfelt's latest is his most powerful thriller yet"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible