Carry the One by Carol Anshaw

Carry the One

by Carol Anshaw

Aquamarine by Carol Anshaw (DanieXJ)
    DanieXJ: Both of these Carol Anshaw books take a look at life from a variety of points of view and yet have a plot throughout as well and don't get lost in the philosophizing.
    The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Not many parallels between these two books plot-wise, but they had a strikingly similar tone and while reading one I was constantly reminded of the other.

On way home from Carmen's wedding, siblings and their friends/lovers hit and kill a young girl. This novel traces their stories -- relationships, careers, addictions, etc. -- and the ongoing effect the accident has on Carmen and the five people in the car. The characters are well developed and complex; the writing is strong. The novel shows how one event can change your perspective on life, and how different people are affected differently by the same event. I'd like to read more by this author. ( )
  LynnB | Apr 2, 2019 |
This book is the unfurling of interconnected lives. It's all about watching the way one traumatic event can affect a group of very different people in very different ways. It was a great read, the type that might stick with me for a while in the same way that the accident sticks with the characters in the book. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
This is a story about a cast of characters and what happens in their lives after a common tragedy. Not sure if I want to give this two or three stars. I had very high expectations, so I was let down by the lack of emotion it brought out in me. But if I hadn't have heard the hype, I might be more apt to have enjoyed it simply for what it was, and rate it with three.
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
I was eagerly anticipating this book, but it was just okay. The writing is fine, nothing spectacular, but the characters' voices seemed too flat and undifferentiated to me. And although the author tells us many times about the impact that the precipitating event had on the characters' lives, we don't really see it. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
This was definitely a 3.5. My initial reaction was not overly positive-I thought the characters lacked something...depth? perspective? emotions?...but the more I read the more I enjoyed this. The writing style really just sucked me in. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Carol Anshaw's superb Carry the One opens in 1983, with a wedding and a tragedy in quick succession. The wedding of Carmen and Matt is a pleasantly raucous affair, held outdoors at a bohemian farm in rural Wisconsin. Folk songs are loudly sung, and as a pleasant haze of alcohol and pot permeates the evening, Carmen hopes, with only a little apprehension, "to sit out this early phase of her marriage, the mortifying dances segment".....
added by marq | editThe Guardian, Patrick Ness (Oct 26, 2012)

On the night came undone like a party dress And fell at her feet in a beautiful mess. - "Barroom Girls" Gillian Welch/David Rawlings
In memory of Dog Stanley 1948-2004
So Carmen was married, just.
The streets along the water slipstreamed with bicycle traffic. --Alice in Amsterdam
She only knew it was him by the way the crowd deferred and dispersed, as though street-sweeping brushes spun in front of him while he moved slowly along the perimeter of paintings. --Alice referring to Kees Verwey, a famous painter, at her museum showing in Amsterdam
She anticipated his worst criticism.  She shared the curse of many artists—that praise beaded up and rolled off her while criticism stuck like glue, glue embedded with ground glass. --Alice referring to Kees Verwey
Alice listened to the small echo created by this conversation, the space outside the words that told her she would sleep with this woman tonight.  Everything between now and that eventuality was just filler.
Alice saw the standard equation of attraction had been altered for her.  Not only would she not have to hang her own paintings anymore, she would no longer have to rely on her own charms.  From here on, for a time anyway, her name alone would be enough to slide her into the beds of admirers.  A flinch of sadness caught her.

Carry the One begins in the hours following Carmen's wedding reception, when a car filled with stoned, drunk, and sleepy guests accidentally hits and kills a girl on a dark country road. For the next twenty-five years those involved, including Carmen and her brother and sister, connect and disconnect and reconnect with one another and their victim. As one character says, "When you add us up, you always have to carry the one." Through friendships and love affairs; marriages and divorce; parenthood, holidays, and the modest tragedies and joys of ordinary days, Carry the One shows how one life affects another and how those who thrive and those who self-destruct are closer to one another than we'd expect. (ARC)

When a car of inebriated guests from Carmen's wedding hits and kills a girl on a country road, Carmen and the people involved in the accident connect, disconnect and reconnect throughout 25 subsequent years of marriage, parenthood, holidays and tragedies.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,563,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible