Carry the One: A Novel by Carol Anshaw

Carry the One: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Carol Anshaw

Member:RandyMetcalfe
Title:Carry the One: A Novel
Authors:Carol Anshaw
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read in 2013, Your library
Tags:home, r2013

Carry the One: A Novel by Carol Anshaw

The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Not many parallels between these two books plot-wise, but they had a strikingly similar tone and while reading one I was constantly reminded of the other.
    Aquamarine by Carol Anshaw (DanieXJ)
    DanieXJ: Both of these Carol Anshaw books take a look at life from a variety of points of view and yet have a plot throughout as well and don't get lost in the philosophizing.

I was eagerly anticipating this book, but it was just okay. The writing is fine, nothing spectacular, but the characters' voices seemed too flat and undifferentiated to me. And although the author tells us many times about the impact that the precipitating event had on the characters' lives, we don't really see it. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I picked up this book, read a few chapters, put it down, read several more books and then made my way back to this one. I am so, so glad I did. I loved this book. The writing was smart, the characters were interesting and although the impetus of the plot of the novel was a tragic event, this book was not depressing. It was indeed very entertaining and thought provoking. Some of Anshaw's turns of phrase just killed me with their brilliance: how exactly ducks are put in a row, likening the love of a husband for his wife as him putting her on a float in a parade every day, people living their lives in the pursuit of badges for their sash. I could go on but I am gushing. This book was excellent, the writing was fantastic and I highly recommend it. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
This book was okay. It didn't suck me in like most books I like. It starts out with a wedding between Carmen and Matt. Their sisters Maude and Alice get in a car with Alice and Carmen's brother Nick, who is high and his girlfriend Olivia who is also high and gets behind the wheel. They soon hit a girl and kill her. The book then goes through there lives over the next 20 years. You don't really grasp time passing along unless you catch an age of someone or a major event. Or even the book said "2 years later" other then that it was an "oh, we've jumped ahead."

I was expecting this book to be more about how the death of the young girl affects their lives and how one incident can change someone for life but they all were already on the paths they were headed before the accident.

The book is a little boring and was just a look at the life of these messed up people. It's pretty much focused on Carmen, Alice and Nick and Alice is the main character featured. Not a bad book, I've just read better. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I really liked Carol Anshaw's style of writing. This book held my interest throughout. I did think, however, that it had a bizarre ending. Will probably read some of her other books. (On loan from Cindy.) ( )
  cjservis | Jan 22, 2016 |
Very well done in terms of writing style and choices, and the concept was interesting. This book follows several people who all feel that they participated in the accidental death of a child. The single night of her death haunts them for twenty years; each handles that event in different ways.
It was very difficult over the first 100 pages and even at points later to remember who was who, though. I struggled to keep track of the individuals, their histories, and the tracks of their lives. That was particularly annoying as I got further into the book. But in the end, I was glad to have read this. ( )
1 vote Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
Carol Anshaw's superb Carry the One opens in 1983, with a wedding and a tragedy in quick succession. The wedding of Carmen and Matt is a pleasantly raucous affair, held outdoors at a bohemian farm in rural Wisconsin. Folk songs are loudly sung, and as a pleasant haze of alcohol and pot permeates the evening, Carmen hopes, with only a little apprehension, "to sit out this early phase of her marriage, the mortifying dances segment".....
added by marq | editThe Guardian, Patrick Ness (Oct 26, 2012)

On the night came undone like a party dress And fell at her feet in a beautiful mess. - "Barroom Girls" Gillian Welch/David Rawlings
In memory of Dog Stanley 1948-2004
So Carmen was married, just.
The streets along the water slipstreamed with bicycle traffic. --Alice in Amsterdam
She only knew it was him by the way the crowd deferred and dispersed, as though street-sweeping brushes spun in front of him while he moved slowly along the perimeter of paintings. --Alice referring to Kees Verwey, a famous painter, at her museum showing in Amsterdam
She anticipated his worst criticism.  She shared the curse of many artists—that praise beaded up and rolled off her while criticism stuck like glue, glue embedded with ground glass. --Alice referring to Kees Verwey
Alice listened to the small echo created by this conversation, the space outside the words that told her she would sleep with this woman tonight.  Everything between now and that eventuality was just filler.
Alice saw the standard equation of attraction had been altered for her.  Not only would she not have to hang her own paintings anymore, she would no longer have to rely on her own charms.  From here on, for a time anyway, her name alone would be enough to slide her into the beds of admirers.  A flinch of sadness caught her.

Carry the One begins in the hours following Carmen's wedding reception, when a car filled with stoned, drunk, and sleepy guests accidentally hits and kills a girl on a dark country road. For the next twenty-five years those involved, including Carmen and her brother and sister, connect and disconnect and reconnect with one another and their victim. As one character says, "When you add us up, you always have to carry the one." Through friendships and love affairs; marriages and divorce; parenthood, holidays, and the modest tragedies and joys of ordinary days, Carry the One shows how one life affects another and how those who thrive and those who self-destruct are closer to one another than we'd expect. (ARC)

When a car of inebriated guests from Carmen's wedding hits and kills a girl on a country road, Carmen and the people involved in the accident connect, disconnect and reconnect throughout 25 subsequent years of marriage, parenthood, holidays and tragedies.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible