The Armed Garden and Other Stories by David…

The Armed Garden and Other Stories (2006)

by David B.

David B. is an incredible artist and I really think, for me at least, I have to love both the drawings and the words/story involved in graphic novels (otherwise, I'll still to words only). David B's drawings are sometimes morbid, sometimes sensual, and sometimes just showing overwhelming expression and detail. He doesn't slip at all in his drawings here and there's a very mythical sense to what he's exploring. He's really talking about the beginning of creation, different warring thoughts, and showing different battle scenes.

My issue with this graphic novel is more within my bias about stories themselves. I'm just not really all that keen on battles, wars, and things of that nature. True, because this involves myth this is much more interesting but it still really isn't my thing. I'd rather re-read David B.'s very personal autobiography Epileptic or more about his bizarre dreams (Nocturnal Conspiracies). If you're into the battle scenes and myth more than exploring just the human psyche and personal tragedy, this is the book for you, though. ( )
  kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
I don't think I could ever get enough of David B.'s drawing style and, having read in Epileptic where he talks about how much he enjoyed drawing epic battles between medieval armies as a child, I can appreciate his newest work even more.

The Armed Garden is a set of three fables, all of which are constructed entirely by David B. using elements from history, religion, and mythical tales, yet because he takes inspiration from the heritage of fables he's able to create a set of imminently believable tales. David B.'s art style, which might be best described as Russian icon art translated by cartooning, solidifies the connection and makes the made-up-fables entirely real. ( )
  mikewick | Nov 30, 2011 |

David B.primary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, KimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 160699462X, Hardcover)

A triptych of mythical histories from the 8th and 15th centuries, by the creator of Epileptic.

David B., the creator of the acclaimed Epileptic, gives full rein to his fascination with history, magic and gods, not to mention grand battles, in this literate, witty, and absorbing collection of stories — all based on historical fact, or at least historical legend, and delineated in a striking stylized two-color format.

“The Veiled Prophet”: During the 8th century (the time of Harun al-Rashid, the Caliph of 1001 Nights fame), Hakim al-Muqanna, the lowly Persian fabric dyer, is assaulted and enveloped by a piece of white cloth come from the sky. When a bystander recognizes in the folds of the cloth the visage of Abu-Muslim, defender of the oppressed, al-Muqanna becomes a prophet and great leader — and within a year his followers have defeated seven armies sent to stop him!

“The Armed Garden,” set in the 15th century, tells the story of the bloody quest for a Paradise on Earth. Rohan, a humble Prague blacksmith, is visited by Adam and Even who urge him lead his followers, soon dubbed “Adamites,” on this mission. They soon must contend, bloodily, with the rival Paradise-seekers the “Taborites,” led by John Zizka.

“The Drum Who Fell in Love,” a sequel of sorts, begins with Zizka’s death: His people have him skinned and his skin stripped onto a drum, and the drum, speaking in Zizka’s voice, leads the Taborites into battle anew. But the touch of a beautiful girl softens Zizka’s spirit, and the unlikely couple begin a journey together… 112 pages of two-color comics

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:05 -0400)

Three mythical stories from the 8th and 15th centuries, all based on historical fact, or at least historical legend, which include grand battles and great leaders.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible