Bryant & May and the Memory of Blood by…

Bryant & May and the Memory of Blood (2011)

by Christopher Fowler

Series: Bryant and May (9)

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (hairball)
    hairball: Two books with Punch & Judy-themed murders--must be something in the water in London.

This was an entertaining and enjoyable read - an old-fashioned detective story set in contemporary London, with a bit of social commentary and some interesting historical excursions into the history of Mr Punch. Although this is the first I've read in this series, there were a lot of familiar memes from police TV shows and other books - multiple murders, a special unit with enemies in high places, an incompetent boss, an oddball main detective character who keeps his hunches to himself until the big reveal. At first I thought it was going to be a paranormal story like the Ben Aaronovitch series I read last year (where Mr Punch also made an appearance), but it isn't and I think I enjoyed it more because of that. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
The Memory of Blood starts with the mention in the Acknowledgements that Christopher Fowler didn't think the series would make it this far, to book nine of the Peculiar Crimes Unit mysteries. And, as I look to buy book 10 (of 13), I'm finding that it doesn't even seem to have been released in paperback even though the hardcover came out in 2013. I'll need to go search for a cheap used copy because I definitely intend to reread this series at some point. Bryant and May are unique in both their age (they should have retired many years earlier) and also their unusual skill set (in this latest one, Bryant recalls his ventriloquism skills after being hypnotized by a white witch). The story in this one was a bit creepier than I like -- I have a fear of "talking" dolls and puppets and this tale incorporates the history of Punch and Judy shows. ::shiver:: But, once again, Bryant and May and the hard working people who toil with them in the PCU managed to engage me despite this fear.

http://webereading.com/2016/05/making-series-progress.html ( )
  klpm | May 23, 2016 |
Too wordy for me, lost interest by the second chapter and just sort of flipped through the rest. ( )
  MystereityReviews | Mar 11, 2016 |
This is another fine entry in the Bryant & May/Peculiar Crimes Unit series. "The Memory of Blood" begins with the shocking murder of an infant, and everyone in the cast and crew of a new play, "The Two Murderers," is a suspect. More murders follow, and our detective duo and their dutiful cohorts are on the case, following their leads, and navigating twists and turns towards zeroing in on the murderer. Fowler sprinkles his usual delightful helping of history into the mix, London theatre and the origins of Punch and Judy puppet shows form the backdrop of this mystery, which adds fun and flavor to this fast-paced read. ( )
  ghr4 | Jan 21, 2016 |
Christopher Fowler uses his successful, witty, and intelligent template as Detectives May and Bryant continue to work to preserve The Peculiar Crime Unit. As usual, the upper levels of the police department are trying to demolish it and the partners work to prove its necessity.
THE MEMORY OF BLOOD begins with a locked room and the disappearance of a child. It involves murders in the theatrical community. At the center are the long-lived character of Punch, a replica of whom is left at the murder scenes. Why Punch?
Puppets, the name included many dolls that were not marionettes were once considered dangerous because of an interpretation of the Second Commandment against idols. For example, a rag doll, called a puppet. was one of the pieces of evidence used in the Salem Witch Trial. The Punch & Judy shows were morality play about the absence of morality.
They quickly determine the identity of the killer but have a lot of work to do to prove their case.
As usual, there are interesting twist in this witty, charming mystery.
I lowered my rating one star because the book has too many unnecessarily short chapters ( )
  Judiex | Oct 28, 2015 |
The two elderly coppers of the London Metropolitan Police’s Peculiar Crimes Unit, Arthur Byatt and John May, are eccentric, mad and weird. Fortunately not all at the same time. The infanticide case they work in the new book is gruesome, but the geezers liven it up with their unique brand of sleuthing.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (May 5, 2012)

Fowler's growing body of fans will snatch this one up, and readers who enjoy Golden Age-style mysteries with a spot of humor and gothic atmosphere shouldn't miss this.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Wilda Williams (Jan 1, 2012)

Fowler, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frankland, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is a small wedding gift to Martin Butterworth, wishing you a universe of merriment and joy.
The following undated document appeared on Wikileaks and is now the subject of a government investigation.

The indomitable duo of Arthur Bryant and John May, along with the rest of their quirky team, must solve a confounding case with dark ties to the British theater and a killer who may mean curtains for all involved.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible