Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead

Seating Arrangements (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Maggie Shipstead

Member:loringp
Title:Seating Arrangements
Authors:Maggie Shipstead
Info:Knopf (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read in 2012, social satire, WASPs, New England, books that have successful endings but that don't do such a great job getting you to those endings, chick lit

Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead (2012)

Maine: A Novel by J. Courtney Sullivan (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Boozy family dysfunction in the New England WASP summer home set.

English (37)  Dutch (1)  All languages (38)
Don't understand the fuss. No characters, just caricatures. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
I loved this book . . . until the end. It seemed to just kind of end, but I don't know where else it might have gone I guess. Everyone had some closure. The author is great at taking us in and out of everyone's stories and giving us a sense of place. Very nicely done. I enjoyed it a lot. ( )
  BethEtter | Dec 20, 2015 |
all the characters in this book needed therapy. They were all unfeeling and ambivalent. There were some funny moments and I did want to know how things ended, but to me the book was just ok. ( )
  amanaceerdh | Sep 24, 2015 |
Maggie Shipstead is an accomplished, creative, and insightful author; and you know it from the way she writes. The words are woven in such a way that indicates the author is fully aware of her skill. It got in the way of enjoying the story initially, but soon I fell into the dysfunctional yet ethereal groove she created. Beautifully explored characters and a teaspoon of mysticism set in a the drama of a wedding between two rich white families make an odd threesome. Shipstead tacitly acknowledges the challenge in her writing and tackles it. She may have even intentionally created it herself. It took 89 pages to find one that I wished to fold over and return to. A good read, to be sure, but no need to go far out of your way to get your hands on a copy. ( )
  jessicaofthebees | Aug 15, 2015 |
  valerietheblonde | Aug 5, 2015 |
The river bears no empty bottles, sandwich papers,
Silk handkerchiefs, cardboard boxes, cigarette ends
Or another testimony of summer nights.  The nymphs are departed.
And their friends, the loitering heirs of City directors;
Departed, have left no addresses.
T.S. ELIOT, "The Waste Land"
To my parents, Patrick and Susan,
pillars of everything
By Sunday the wedding would be over, and for that Winn Van Meter was grateful.
Makeup pencils and brushes were everywhere, abandoned helter-skelter as though by the fleeing beauticians of Pompeii.

"Winn Van Meter is heading for his family's retreat on the pristine New England island of Waskeke. Normally a haven of calm, for the next three days this sanctuary will be overrun by tipsy revelers as Winn prepares for the marriage of his daughter Daphne to the affable young scion Greyson Duff. Winn's wife, Biddy, has planned the wedding with military precision, but arrangements are sideswept by a storm of salacious misbehavior and intractable lust: Daphne's sister, Livia, who has recently had her heart broken by Teddy Fenn, the son of her father's oldest rival, is an eager target for the seductive wiles of Greyson's best man; Winn, instead of reveling in his patriarchal duties, is tormented by his long-standing crush on Daphne's beguiling bridesmaid Agatha; and the bride and groom find themselves presiding over a spectacle of misplaced desire, marital infidelity, and monumental loss of faith in the rituals of American life"--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,196,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible