Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead

Seating Arrangements (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Maggie Shipstead

Member:loringp
Title:Seating Arrangements
Authors:Maggie Shipstead
Info:Knopf (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read in 2012, social satire, WASPs, New England, books that have successful endings but that don't do such a great job getting you to those endings, chick lit

Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead (2012)

Maine: A Novel by J. Courtney Sullivan (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Boozy family dysfunction in the New England WASP summer home set.

English (39)  Dutch (1)  All languages (40)
I really loved the book until the last section. It felt like the author had invested so much time in describing the scenes and people in them, and then the last bit was glossed over very casually. Almost like two completely different books. If you like Nantucket-ish preppy people and their messy lives, then you'll like this book for sure. ( )
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
I always wait until I finish a book before I look at reviews. I am glad I take this approach. Reading, "liking" a novel, is such a personal journey. Why "liking" in quotation marks? Because reviews seem to be about personal preference rather than the literary value of a book. So I won't bother with my personal reaction to Seating Arrangements. My only "review"... make your mind up about a book by reading it rather than by reading other people's opinions of it. ( )
  SharonRILINK | Mar 4, 2016 |
Don't understand the fuss. No characters, just caricatures. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
I loved this book . . . until the end. It seemed to just kind of end, but I don't know where else it might have gone I guess. Everyone had some closure. The author is great at taking us in and out of everyone's stories and giving us a sense of place. Very nicely done. I enjoyed it a lot. ( )
  BethEtter | Dec 20, 2015 |
all the characters in this book needed therapy. They were all unfeeling and ambivalent. There were some funny moments and I did want to know how things ended, but to me the book was just ok. ( )
  amanaceerdh | Sep 24, 2015 |
The river bears no empty bottles, sandwich papers,
Silk handkerchiefs, cardboard boxes, cigarette ends
Or another testimony of summer nights.  The nymphs are departed.
And their friends, the loitering heirs of City directors;
Departed, have left no addresses.
T.S. ELIOT, "The Waste Land"
To my parents, Patrick and Susan,
pillars of everything
By Sunday the wedding would be over, and for that Winn Van Meter was grateful.
Makeup pencils and brushes were everywhere, abandoned helter-skelter as though by the fleeing beauticians of Pompeii.

"Winn Van Meter is heading for his family's retreat on the pristine New England island of Waskeke. Normally a haven of calm, for the next three days this sanctuary will be overrun by tipsy revelers as Winn prepares for the marriage of his daughter Daphne to the affable young scion Greyson Duff. Winn's wife, Biddy, has planned the wedding with military precision, but arrangements are sideswept by a storm of salacious misbehavior and intractable lust: Daphne's sister, Livia, who has recently had her heart broken by Teddy Fenn, the son of her father's oldest rival, is an eager target for the seductive wiles of Greyson's best man; Winn, instead of reveling in his patriarchal duties, is tormented by his long-standing crush on Daphne's beguiling bridesmaid Agatha; and the bride and groom find themselves presiding over a spectacle of misplaced desire, marital infidelity, and monumental loss of faith in the rituals of American life"--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,632,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible