No one here gets out alive by Jerry Hopkins

No one here gets out alive (edition 1997)

by Jerry Hopkins

Member:elmomartin
Title:No one here gets out alive
Authors:Jerry Hopkins
Info:Barnes & Noble (1997), Unknown Binding, 387 pages

No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins

English (17)  Danish (1)  All languages (18)
I attempted to start this a couple of times, but struggled to get into it mostly due to how badly written it is. It is sporadic in its anecdotes, some of them feel like they don't have a point. There are a lot of people mentioned, many whom aren't introduced, so as a reader I was unsure what relevance they had to Jim Morrison or to the event begin spoken about. But I did wonder if the chaotic way in which this was written was deliberate, to try and give an idea what it was like being around Jim Morrison and in that period of time in the late 60s, early 70s - a reflection of the time and the man.

I did enjoy the insight, although I had hoped to have a clearer idea about his demise, but it seems it will always be shrouded in mystery. The only thing I can be sure of is that with the quantity of alcohol and drugs Jim consumed, if he had faked his death, he probably wouldn't have survived for many years after. An interesting read, although a difficult one at times, which didn't flow well. ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
I mostly remember this book because I got one of my favorite quotes from it. But I did enjoy it. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
If you're a fan of the Doors then you can;t do worse than pick this up. It's an interesting read detailing the history of the band and the trials and tribulations of Jim Morrison. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
The book was first published in 1980 and its authors are respectively a rock writer and a personal friend of Morrison’s, so its credentials are pretty good. As a child of the mid-’80s who missed out on all the fun of the late ’60s and early ’70s, I thought it gave a rich flavour of the times: the drugs, the controversy, the radicalism and, perhaps most surprisingly, the incredible innocence. But there are drawbacks. This is not the kind of moderate, arm’s length, balanced biography that I’m used to. It verges on hagiography...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2014/07/30/no-one-here-gets-out-alive-jerry-hopkins-and... ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Feb 6, 2017 |
Biography of Jim Morrison. Not much to say...if you like the Doors or Jim Morrison, I'm sure you'll like it!
I was way into Jim and the doors when I was in 8th and 9th grade. Probably not a good thing...his life seems so glamorous, which works if you're of age and a rock legend. It doesn't work that way when you're 13. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |

Jerry Hopkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Danny Sugermanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was; just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
Los Angeles, 1969
Erin & Nicky & Rebecca

--Jerry
Ray & Jim

--Danny
Jim Morrison was well on his way to becoming a mythic hero while he was still alive -- he was, few will dispute, a living legend.
Once, when the snow was packed high in the mountains outside Albuquerque, near Sandia Peak, Steve and Clara Morrison took their children tobogganing.

Here is Jim Morrison in all his complexity-singer, philosopher, poet, delinquent-the brilliant, charismatic, and obsessed seeker who rejected authority in any form, the explorer who probed "the bounds of reality to see what would happen..." Seven years in the writing, this definitive biography is the work of two men whose empathy and experience with Jim Morrison uniquely prepared them to recount this modern tragedy: Jerry Hopkins, whose famous Presley biography, Elvis, was inspired by Morrison's suggestion, and Danny Sugerman, confidant of and aide to the Doors. With an afterword by Michael McClure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:16 -0400)

A portrait of Jim Morrison is based on seven years of research and tells the story behind his musical genius, worship of darkness, rejection of all forms of authority, and tragic death when his life spun out of control, in a new edition of the compelling biography honoring the thirty-fifth anniversary of the singer's death.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible