Bound by Blood by P A Lupton

Bound by Blood

by P A Lupton

4.5/5
I can't quite pinpoint why I liked this book so much, but it was such a pleasurable read!

First of all, I suspect P.A. Lupton is a neat freak. *grinning* I was so impressed that the spelling in the book was impeccable. Usually there are so many mistakes in self-published books, and here there was just a couple of accidentally omitted words, and that's it.

Secondly, the book just flows and you sort of go along with the flow. I kept expecting Brianna to mess up, to have a full blown hissy fit, but she stayed reasonable, rational and willing to learn how to live in her new reality.

I greatly admired that. Usually there is always a set back in the book when the main character finds out that their system of beliefs is skewed, and you sort of expect it. Nothing like this happens here.

Brianna, a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Brianna is a psychic or more correctly, - an Empath who works for FBI and keeps her ability in secret. She transfers to Denver and gets involved with a serial killer investigation where every victim has an uncanny resemblance to her.

The investigation brings her to Nathan Donovan, an owner of private security business, a witch and a vampire. Nathan and Brianna are attracted to each other and she doesn't suspect who he is until his own investigation uncovers Brianna's roots and that she is in danger from the killer.

Nathan is forced to tell Brianna the truth about her and himself and start working with her on the identity of the killer. He also begins training her in her abilities.

They spar, they experiment with spells together and make love like crazy until the killer makes his move. Now it will take everything Brianna's learnt to win the fight for her life.

Nathan and Brianna make for a wonderful couple, they are attuned to each other and they make each other stronger. Even Brianna's partner at work, agent Morrison when he gets involved brings an invaluable help into the investigation.

Yes, as I said there are no setbacks of rage and disbelief. Although some evil guys are easily recognisable.

The end made me do a girly squee. Loved it. Go, go, Brianna! Well done!

The bad boys of the Council were also very promising, especially Lucius with his tattoos and piercings... Yum. Sign me up for a book about him *wink*

So, if you want a cosy read without the usual frustration, this is it. This is a paranormal romance crossing into UF, evenly paced and with much potential. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile ( )
  karlaihdez | Sep 20, 2013 |
Can I just say that I absolutely loved this book? P.A. Lupton did an outstanding job weaving together a story that was filled with action, adventure, romance, and interesting characters. This book was better than many of the overpriced books that I've read. And for $.99, this book was a gift.

Nathan and Brianna were a fantastic H/h...But the capital "H" in this instance was for heroine and the little "h" was for hero. Brianna was amazing. Using her powers: she saved herself from a rapist when she was a teenager; she saved herself from the crazy vampire and her equally crazy sister; and she also saved herself from the elder she thought was going to kill Nathan.

The story was engaging, witty, and enjoyable. I definitely give it 5++++++ stars.

Great job Ms. Lupton...great job, indeed! ( )
  4everbooklove | Feb 5, 2012 |
Brianna is a strong, intuitive FBI agent with empathic gifts. She transfers to Denver and immediately dives into her newest case, all involving deaths of girls that look remarkably like herself. The trail leads her to to the successful and attractive Nathan, the primary "person of interest" in her case. From the moment she meets him, she feels a strange pull daring Brianna to risk everything: her career at the FBI, the truth of her family and the key to unlocking herself....

This is a fantastic beginning to the Garner Witch series. It is a happy combination of urban fantasy, paranormal romance and even a detective story to boot! The heroine, Brianna is a strong, sassy, modern woman - the kind you would expect having chosen law enforcement for their profession. Her gifts are unique, and grow in depth and detail. You can tell P.A. Lupton did her homework for all the research that must have been done to complete this novel. The "mythology" of the book is well thought out and has a unique spin, setting it apart from the herd of your average witch or vampire paranormal romance. The plot was well thought out with a few twists and turns; it kept me guessing until just before the revelation.

I would recommend this book to a friend; at the price I paid, .99cents, it is well more than worth the expense for the amount of enjoyment you will get out of it. For a first novel in a series I was really impressed!

As with any book, there are always at least a few aspects that were lackluster:
♦While the main character, Brianna, is extraordinarily well written, Lupton did not seem quite as comfortable with the male's characters point of view. They were by no means weak, but the depth of emotion and character thoughts and action did on a few occasions seem to contradict the expected response. Most notably, I feel there needed to be more conflict rather than surprisingly quick acceptance.
♦Now I am no perfectionist, or particularly skilled in the art of editing, but there were a few errors that are noticeable. They are easily ignored during reading, and will not impede the enjoyment of the story. ( )
  LoonyAlana | Feb 5, 2012 |
Hardcore FBI agent, Brianna Reece, has a secret: a supernatural ability to detect and channel other people's emotions. She's kept this ability hidden for years, but when she investigates a series of related murders, she is not only forced to reveal her true self, she also discovers that she's not the only one who's keep keeping secrets.

This book has a lot going for it. The plot is innovative, the pacing is swift, and the characters are interesting. The relationship between Brianna and her partner Morrison is especially well developed. Also, the premise is inventive. It would definitely lend itself to a sequel.

If I was able to stop right there, the book would have gotten a three, possibly four, star rating. Unfortunately, there are a lot of problems. The first deals with mechanics. The spelling, grammar, and punctuation are so poor that there are at least two mistakes on every page. Even a professionally-edited book can contain an occasional error; however, this book reads like a rough draft. Also, since this book is written in first person by a U.S. citizen, spellings like 'colour' should have been amended.

There is also the matter of the main characters' lack of professionalism. It was impossible for me to believe that either Reece or her partner worked for the FBI given how they handled themselves while investigating the crime. Even local law enforcement officers would not have been that inept.

It's sad that a book with this much potential should be treated with such a lack of professionalism. While 'Bound by Blood' accomplished a few of the more difficult tasks of fiction (such as creating an interesting plot), it completely overlooked the easiest task (editing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors). ( )
  ufjunkie | Jan 5, 2012 |

FBI agent and psychic, Brianna Reece, descends from an ancient and powerful bloodline of witches, only she doesn’t know it. But now that legacy has come back to bite her—literally. In the shadows of night in Denver Colorado, a serial killer is hunting women, and FBI agent Brianna Reece is hunting the killer. Unlike any case she’s worked before, Brianna can’t ignore the prickling at the back of her neck when she glimpses the resemblance she shares with the victims. The investigation begins to touch even closer to home when it is revealed that all of the victims were also psychic. Complicating matters further, Brianna is captivated by the FBI’s prime suspect Nathan Donovan. Though she senses he is hiding something from her, the attraction she feels for him is compelling, and unlike anything she’s ever experienced. Through a chance twist of fate, Nathan learns of Brianna’s ancestry and is forced to divulge secrets to Brianna that will change her life forever. When she learns that the killer is an evil vampire, and he’s now set his sights on her, Nathan alone holds the key to awakening her dormant powers. Now he must race to teach her how to control her emergent gifts before she becomes the next victim.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:01 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,093,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible