Agony of the Leaves by Laura Childs

Agony of the Leaves (2012)

by Laura Childs

And now I am all caught up. Childs needs to write another book ASAP! ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
I had been debating whether or not to keep reading the Tea Shop series - it seemed to be getting formulaic for me, but then I thought about how quickly these tend to read and how they are a reading palate cleanser - nice, light, shorter than a main course. So, I picked up the latest yesterday and read it (there's that quick to read part). The killer stayed hidden behind a bunch of red herrings until near the end, when certain events gave me pause to think about this person [but then, there weren't many clues or reasons to support this person as the killer - I didn't care for that as much - just one thing almost thrown out near the beginning].

Things I continue to enjoy: Drayton and Haley's back and forth banter, anything with Earl Grey (the dog), the tea party ideas in the story and the back of the book, Delaine's comic relief interruptions.

Things I could do without: more descriptions of Charleston [it's the 13th book, for crying out loud, it's been described pretty well already], clothing descriptions [that's just a personal issue, as I'm not a big clotheshorse], and how Theo is intimidated/threatened in similar ways to many of the other books in the series [yes, one of the ways was novel in this book, but it immediately followed one that has been really overused]. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 30, 2013 |
Childs comes through with another win in this series. Every now and then I enjoy reading a cozy and this series never disappoints. In addition, there are recipes at the end of each book for the food described in the story.

Theodosia's former boyfriend Parker Scully has been murdered at a fund-raising event for the local aquarium. Theo, of course, is investigating. Several people, customers and a few unsavory characters, turn up as suspects. We also get a further lesson in our tea education. ( )
  LeHack | Jun 18, 2012 |
It's an OK mystery -- the identity of the killer was a surprise to me and I expect it will to most readers because it seems totally random. There are several loose ends left after the murder is solved and I suspect these may be carried over to the next in the series to add some momentum. This is the 13th in this series and it looks to me if it may be running out of steam. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Jun 2, 2012 |
Laura Childs presents a mild mystery that does not contain graphic violence or sex. Sometimes, Childs uses a heavy hand in pitching charities. The recipes and description of Charleston are exquisite. I wish that Childs would publish a book of the recipes included in the Tea Shop Mysteries. In this caper, Theodosia's ex boyfriend, Parker Scully is killed. The parties and expeditions in Charleston create a worldly atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoy this simple, yet delicious sojourn in Charleston. ( )
  delphimo | May 28, 2012 |

In the latest novel from the New York Times bestselling author of Scones and Bones, Indigo Tea Shop owner Theodosia Browning finds herself in hot water when a body surfaces at the grand opening of Charleston's Neptune Aquarium...

The opening of the aquarium is a major Charleston event, and Theodosia has been hired to cater tea, scones, and sandwiches for the private party to honor dignitaries and big buck donors. Things are going swimmingly, until Theodosia escapes the party for a momentary rest, only to discover the body of a man entangled in a net, drowned in one of the aquarium's state-of-the-art tanks.

To make matters worse, the victim is Theodosia's former boyfriend Parker Scully. The EMTs on the scene think Parker's drowning was an accident, but when Theodosia notices what look like defense wounds on his hands, she realizes that someone wanted Parker dead. The local police aren't keen on hearing her theory-especially because of her ties to the victim-so Theodosia knows that if she wants Parker's killer brought to justice, she'll have to jump into the deep end and start her own investigation...

INCLUDES DELICIOUS RECIPES AND TEA TIME TIPS!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:20 -0400)

Theodosia find herself in hot water when a body surfaces at the grand opening of Charleston's Neptune Aquarium. She's been hired to cater the event and things are going swimmingly -- until she discovers the body of her former boyfriend. It looks like an accident, but her instincts tell her differently. She'll have to jump into the deep end and start her own investigation ...… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible