A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster…

A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, Book 3)

by Barbara Cameron

A Time of Peace
Barbara Cameron

This was a story that is third in a series. A unique concept in the fact that seldom do people convert to the Anabaptist faith. The author does a credible job of making it work with all the things a person in the modern world would fail at. Especially defending a loved one. While reading I found the story to be big on relationships. It seemed at times that the reality of Amish life was missing: preaching, church authority (hard to believe that outside converts would not be watched closely for help and continuing to assure the brethren that they were following the Ordung and those raised in the Anabaptist faith are know to have -cousins. I understand that these were not the focus of the story. I remember Barbara Cameron from my teenage years and the moving stories she wrote, I learned from the start that books can be very real with endings that are not simplistic. I found the overall story to be enjoyable and always a reminder that the only things important in life are faith and family. I am thankful to NetGalley for this opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  Robin661 | Jun 13, 2014 |
This was the third book in the Quilts of Lancaster County series, what I liked about it is even if you didn't read the first 2 books you would be able to read this one and not be lost. Although this book was about the 2 previous couples from the other books.

I enjoyed this book but it was not my favorite, it followed the normal amish fiction of a miscomuication, a accident with someone getting seriously hurt, and the happy ever after ending.

Jenny, who was in the first book, is living her dream life but realizes something is missing. She has been married for a while know but is unable to get pregnant, because her husband is amish he believes in God's will to get pregnant.
Jenny's aunt falls and while taking care of her Jenny finds some letters between her grandmother and her dad. She realizes that they interfered in her life all those years ago and she starts to wonder what is, etc.

It is a good book but not the best, I feel the author could of given me more. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Spoilers. OK. They are getting dull. I don't know that the characters make sense as Amish people. They seem to bend the rules a lot. Also, the plot didn't really make sense -- there wasn't enough discussion between the different characters about the "big revelation". Also, it is so predictable for her to be pregnant but why didn't she know? She must have missed at least one period.
  franoscar | May 20, 2012 |
In "A Time For Peace", the third book in the Quilts of Lancaster County, we find issues that make us say, "Wow, even the Amish have the same trials we have". It seems that each book in this series was better than the one before it. I really enjoyed this one. I guess because I could sympathize with Jenny and the secrets she learns. This book looks at the "what-ifs and deals with how those "what-ifs" are handled.

In previous books Jenny finds herself at her Amish grandmother's house after an injury that almost killed her. She meets up with someone that she had strong connections with in the past. Someone she loved very much before her life took a different turn. She and Matthew, who had lost his wife and was left with three kids, reconnected and God led them together to form a family.

Then in the third book Jenny's grandmother becomes ill and Jenny brings her into their home, to stay in the Dawdi house so that she can look after her. While removing things from her grandmother's house she discovers some things that hurt her deeply. She learns of secrets that had been kept from her for years. These secrets had she had knowledge of them earlier in life may have changed the course of her life. Now she questions where God was in all of this and must once again look long and hard at those she loves. She must once again lean on God to help her forgive those who hurt her.

It is so hard not to give away things that would spoil the book when you have a book as good as this one. Barbara is one of my favorite Amish authors so it makes it difficult not to want to shout all the good stuff to the world. this is a definite must read.

I have been given a book for a giveaway. To enter please leave a comment and your email address. I will use Random.org to choose a winner on Wednesday morning. ( )
  skstiles612 | Oct 22, 2011 |

After Years of Hardship, Jenny?s Life Appears Perfect. So Why Does Something Seem to Be Missing? Jenny Bontrager is finally at a place of love and belonging with her husband, Matthew, and his children. Life seems golden with both her family and career as a writer.But everything Jenny now believes in is thrown into question with the discovery of a long-lost letter from her father. Her sense of peace and contentment destroyed by betrayal, Jenny struggles with her renewed faith--and the love of everyone around her.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,111,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible