Into the Grey by Celine Kiernan

Into the Grey (2011)

by Celine Kiernan

This was VERY exciting at the end and I enjoyed the parallel stories, but I wasn't as scared as I hoped I'd be. Not a bad little ghost story though. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
An absorbing, suspenseful and atmospheric ghostly tale. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I don't recommend this book, at all. ( )
  lucyfort | Apr 30, 2015 |
‘Into The Grey’ by Celine Kiernan, the author of many award-winning fantasy books, delivers a ghost story that is anything but generic.
Dom and Pat are teenage twins. They are close, as twins always are, even though they are growing into different interests. Theirs was seemingly a settled and happy family. That is until just before they were set to go on holiday along the Irish coast, their grandmother accidentally burned their house down. Patrick and his twin brother, Dom, along with their parents, little sister, and grandmother escape harm.
The description of the fire consuming their home was powerful and dramatic - the family escaping as "the dragon" unleashes its power on their home - a pivotal point in the book.
With nowhere to live, soon they are on their way to the rented beachside house where they spend each holiday with their extended family. Because it is still term time, and their cousins aren’t there yet, the boys explore on their own. They end up saving an old man from drowning, which sets off a chain reaction where Dom appears to be haunted. How would you feel if your brother was being possessed and no one else knew? How far would you go to save him?
What follows on from this is an incredibly eerie story full of creepy, tense moments that had me, quite literally, sitting on the edge of my seat. I quickly found it difficult to put this book down, as well as rapidly finding myself emotionally invested in this story. I read it through in one sitting – and was very hesitant when it came to turning out the lights! ( )
  Jawin | Apr 8, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won a copy of Into the Grey through the Librarything Early Reviewers program.

I loved the book. Although I got the book a while ago, I read it in the fall. I like eerie, ghost like stories in the fall, near Halloween. The book was eerie, creepy, shuddersome. I loved the characters and how the author showed the true bond between the brothers. I was drawn to the book by the cover. I am glad I was able to read it through the Early Reviewers program. I will read more that this author writes in the future. ( )
  motherwright | Jan 2, 2015 |

Set in Ireland in the early 1970s, this story stars twin brothers Patrick and Dom Finnerty, who have their world turned upside down when their house and all they possess is burned to the ground. Displaced, the family moves into their summer seaside cottage. Now in the middle of winter, the cottage seems dull, bleak, and quite eerie. Suffering from horrible nightmares, the boys' bond of brotherly love is put to the test when they discover that the "goblin-boy" is not just a dream. When Patrick tries to rid them of the ghostly creature, it takes possession of Dom instead. Patrick realizes that in order to save his brother's life he must befriend this ghost and figure out what it wants and why before time runs out. The protagonist's journey of self-discovery uncovers numerous family secrets, forges unlikely allies, and proves that the power of friendship, loyalty, and love are far stronger than he ever imagined. Kiernan's beautiful and haunting novel is full of mystery and suspense with continuous plot twists and turns. The narrative voice is compelling and honest while capturing the emotional terror the teen has to face. The refreshing, multidimensional characters drive the story line and readers will connect with them because of the poignant and touching moments. A captivating read that combines Irish history with the supernatural. -- Donna Rosenblum, Floral Park Memorial High School, NY -- From School Library Journal, Amazon.com… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Celine Kiernan's book Into the Grey was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Celine Kiernan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,594,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible