And Blue Skies From Pain by Stina Leicht

And Blue Skies From Pain

by Stina Leicht

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

AND BLUE SKIES FROM PAIN, the second book in Stina Leicht’s The Fey and The Fallen series is beautifully written and brings a supernatural undertone to a violent era in 1970’s Ireland. I was curious about how the paranormal aspects would fit in with such a complex and tumultuous point in history. What I found interesting was the parallels of politics and conflict brought about by mistrust and ingrained prejudices among the Catholic Church with the Fey (which they consider to be demons) and the Protestant and Catholic conflicts in Ireland. Throughout the book the slightest misstep could spell war for the Fey and the Church which masterfully matched the underlying pressures felt by people in Ireland.

Caught in the middle of these brewing issues is the half-mortal/ex-Provisional IRA fighter Liam Kelley. Liam is put through the physical and mental ringer as he faces prison-like isolation, degrading medical tests to prove that he is human, and maintaining a low profile from the IRA who want him dead. Liam was a flawed and conflicted character in part due to his violent past and the tragic loss of his family, but it made him feel all the more real--and sympathetic--to me.

Mixed in with the politics and violence we see some of the punk culture that was around in the 70s (the title is even a part of a Pink Floyd song) The punk subculture was an expression of anarchism, anger, rebellion against authority, and nihilistic views of life. The music and culture was hard and gritty which fits nicely into the background of AND BLUE SKIES WITH PAIN’s setting in Ireland.

I loved Stina Leicht’s world-building and how she so seamlessly mixed the supernatural with actual history. I found this amazing as the Fey storyline could have so easily come off as a jarring contrast. I actually feel more familiar with this time period in Ireland’s history now having read this book and it’s made me want to learn more. AND BLUE SKIES FROM PAIN is a gritty and complex story that had me thinking about it long after I put the book down.

Sexual Content:
Reference to sex ( )
  pollywannabook | Mar 4, 2012 |

Northern Ireland, 1977. Liam Kelly is many things: a former wheelman for the IRA, a one-time political prisoner, the half-breed son of a mystic Fey warrior and a mortal woman, and a troubled young man literally haunted by the ghosts of his past. Liam has turned his back on his land's bloody sectarian Troubles, but the war isn't done with him yet, and neither is an older, more mythic battle-between the Church and its demonic enemies, the Fallen. After centuries of misunderstanding and conflict, the Church is on the verge of accepting that the Fey and the Fallen are not the same. But to achieve this historic truce, Liam must prove to the Church's Inquisitors that he is not a demon, even as he wrestles with his own guilt and confusion, while being hunted by enemies both earthly and unworldly. A shape-shifter by nature, Liam has a foot in two worlds-and it's driving him mad.… (more)

Stina Leicht is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,744,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible