Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Don't Let Me Go

by Catherine Ryan Hyde

2041957,485 (4.15)4

‘Don’t Let me Go’ is mainly about ten-year-old Grace. She's a likeable, determined little girl, but seriously neglected. Grace and her mother live on the ground floor of a block of flats, where the residents are all suspicious of each other.

The other main character is Billy, an agoraphobic ex-dancer who hasn’t been outside his apartment for a long time. Nobody else in the block has seen him. But he spots Grace sitting outside, and knows he has to do something to help...

The blurb on the novel says that it’s about helping Grace’s mother return to normality; it was also about the importance of people learning to trust and look out for each other.

The writing is very good, in my opinion; the pace just right, the different viewpoints enabling the story to be told from both a child’s and an adult’s perspective. Perhaps the plot is somewhat idealised and unrealistic but I don’t have a problem with that; I like escapism, and seeing the best side of human nature in fictional form.

All in all, I thought this an excellent read and would recommend it highly to anyone who likes thoughtful character-driven women's fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Mar 25, 2017 |
A young girl seeks help from her neighbors when her mom starts using drugs again. She ends up pulling the estranged neighbors into a tight community. First Hyde breaks your heart and then she helps remake it. ( )
  Nero56 | Jul 15, 2015 |
Beautiful, touching and inspirational. Don't Let Me Go is an emotional story of how young Grace touches the lives of her lonely neighbors as they learn to trust and work together to care for her as her mother struggles to get clean. Grace has an innocent, honest and passionate nature that shines throughout the novel. She brings love and hope to those surrounding her. This novel was engrossing and I simply had to finish it all at once. ( )
  Whitneyadela | Apr 2, 2015 |
Grace is ten and pretty much living on her own. Her mother is a drug addict, and is high all the time, so she does not take care of her daughter. So Grace sits outside her apartment, hoping someone will notice her and help her. And her apartment building is not in the best part of town; she knows she is taking a risk sitting outside, but she knows if she stays inside, she will never get help for herself or her mother. And Grace does get help - in the form of an anxious agoraphobic who was once a dancer; a hair dresser who was once in foster care herself; a mean old man who accuses everyone of being a pedophile; and several others who live in the apartment building. None of these people had any reason to talk to each other until Grace came into their lives, and they all wanted to do everything in their power to keep her out of the social services system. Grace brings out the best of all of her neighbors and brings them together as a family as her mother struggles to get clean. One by one, each of her neighbors lets go some of their fear to give to one little girl. This book reminds me that everyone has something to give - even those we think are awful human beings; sometimes, those people just need a little something to push them to give it. It also reminds me that you can have a family, even if the one you were born into is falling apart or gone altogether; family just means a group of people who love and support each other, and there does not need to be a blood relationship. ( )
  litgirl29 | Jun 17, 2014 |
The story starts out with a group of odd people who all need help. It goes on to become odder and more engaging as Grace affects everyone she touches. Highly recommended and I will be buying more from this author. ( )
  Perrywilson | May 24, 2014 |

'Former Broadway dancer and current agoraphobic Billy Shine has not set foot outside his apartment in almost a decade. He has glimpsed his neighbors--beautiful manicurist Rayleen, lonely old Ms. Hinman, bigoted and angry Mr. Lafferty, kind-hearted Felipe, and 9-year-old Grace and her former addict mother Eileen. But most of them have never seen Billy. Not until Grace begins to sit outside on the building's front stoop for hours every day, inches from Billy's patio. Troubled by this change in the natural order, Billy makes it far enough out onto his porch to ask Grace why she doesn't sit inside where it's safe. Her answer: "If I sit inside, then nobody will know I'm in trouble. And then nobody will help me." Her answer changes everything.' --… (more)

Catherine Ryan Hyde is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible