The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

The Day of the Triffids (1951)

by John Wyndham

4,5371311,059 (4.03)4 / 430
    Blindness by José Saramago (infiniteletters, juan1961)
    juan1961: Escritas con muchos años de diferencia, no cabe la menor duda de que enel argumento existen grandes similitudes, lo cual no quiere decir que tengan algo que ver. A quien le guste la ciencia-ficción, no debería desdeñar esta obra de Saramago, más centrada en la ciencia-ficción política o social.… (more)
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (clif_hiker)
    The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham (timspalding)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (infiniteletters)
    The Country of the Blind and Other Science-Fiction Stories by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alluded to in the novel.
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (sturlington)
    Dark Piper by Andre Norton (DisassemblyOfReason)
    DisassemblyOfReason: What The Day of the Triffids does with plants, Dark Piper may be said to do with animals. In both stories, a world has been given to large-scale experimentation with dangerous creatures - for commercial reasons with the triffids, while for more military applications with the animals on Beltane in Dark Piper. Both stories carry the suggestion that someone (possibly deliberately) turned loose various weapons of germ warfare not long after a major catastrophe, and both stories follow a small group through territory largely abandoned by humans, although unfortunately not by everything...… (more)
    The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (Booksloth)
    No Blade of Grass by John Christopher (Rynooo)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Two post-apocalyptic masterpieces, with much of their power coming from their focus on a couple of characters and the exotic horrors that threaten them.
    The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham (timspalding)
    Mutant 59: The Plastic-Eaters by Kit Pedler (infiniteletters)
    The Furies by Keith Roberts (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: The Furies is definitely on the hokier side.

English (123)  French (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (131)
I read this after reading other works by the same author. I was impressed by his other novels moreso than this one.
I will say, however, that this is a very old book. It is usual to feel like you're reading things you've read before when reaching back in time for classics, and I believe that was a lot of what made me enjoy this book less. Likely at the time it was groundbreaking but now it feels shopworn.
Overall, a good read in terms of looking back at where our dystopian and sci-fi ideas were born. Worth the time. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
Bill Masen doesn't know it at first, but he might be one of the lucky ones. After being temporarily blinded by the sting of a "triffid" -- a poisonous, carnivorous plant that has taken the horticultural world by storm -- he wakes up in hospital one morning and discovers that everyone else in the world has gone blind overnight. A mysterious meteor shower is assumed to be the culprit. And while most of the world is blind, the triffids have decided to make a bid to become the top of the planet's food chain.

This was amazing. I can't believe I've waited so long to read it. It grabbed me with prickly fear from the very first page and did not let up. The triffids were extremely unnerving in their ability to "learn" and develop tactics for attacking their victims, and the post-apocalyptic society reminded me a little of the one in The Walking Dead, except more advanced in the sense of trying to get the human population back up and running again. (The Walking Dead's society seems to be more about hanging on than repopulating the planet, at least at this point in the show.) I did roll my eyes extensively at the portrayal of Josella as a "simple girl" in places, especially when she proved herself to be quite capable later on, but for the most part I was able to attribute these outbursts of sexism to the time period of the story (and perhaps to the character of Bill Masen himself).

Recommended if you like low-key creepy sci-fi, and perhaps if you like Doctor Who (for the slight dusting of cheesiness that a plants-take-over-the-Earth storyline entails). ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 18, 2015 |
This is a classic. I can see where others have been inspired by this book. I have to say the beginning really sets a tone. Its the grandfather of waking up in the hospital to a scary world; scenes. I wanted to crawl under my bed. I was a bit confused by the jumping back in time to tell us about the triffids, but recovered and was able to move on. I found myself wanting to know more about them, the triffids, where DID they come from? WHAT were they really? We never got concrete answers. I was upset at points in the story with the characters and some of the choice they made. It actually really bothered me at one point and I stopped reading. I am glad I have read this, I think it should be in a high school literature course. I should get my son to read it. I also really like that it has not been changed (as some publishers do) , the language and spelling are of a different time. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Great ( )
  DebPogue | Oct 11, 2014 |
Day of the Triffids asks the question just how vulnerable we might be should we all lose out sight. The book starts with a meteor shower of sorts that has everyone looking up into the sky to watch. Those in hospital in comas, asleep etc, those people stayed as they were but everyone else loses their sight permanently.

At the same time the shower brings seeds, an alien plant that is carnivorous and somewhat mobile, and it quickly asserts itself as the dominant species on earth through very simple means. People start living boarded up, trying to come up with strategies to escape and capture the triffids but what this book really shows is how thin a knife edge we all live on and how fragile our hold on power really is.

A classic of literature, worth reading simply because it is a great book, but also so you can say you've read one of the greats. ( )
  areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |

Stewart, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viskupic, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willock, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When a day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off by sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somewhere.

Fiction. Dystopian. Science fiction. Post-apocalyptic. English.

But to survive in this post-apocalyptic world, one must survive the Triffids, strange plants that years before began appearing all over the world. The Triffids can grow to over seven feet tall, pull their roots from the ground to walk, and kill a man with one quick lash of their poisonous stingers. With society in shambles, they are now poised to prey on humankind. Wyndham chillingly anticipates bio-warfare and mass destruction, fifty years before their realization, in this prescient account of Cold War paranoia.
Бил Мейсън, заради травма, е с превръзка на очите и пропуска най-зрелищния метеоритен дъжд, падал някога над Англия. На следващия ден сваля превръзката и с ужас установява, че хиляди слепци се скитат по улиците. Скоро среща Джозела, друга щастливка съхранила зрението си. Двамата напускат града, осъзнали, че безопасният и така добре познат само допреди 24 часа свят, завинаги е изчезнал. Апокалипсисът бавно, но сигурно напредва с Трифидите - странни растения, появили се на различни места по Земята. Трифидите достигат над два метра, измъкват корените си от почвата, ходят и убиват човек само с един светкавичен замах на отровните си пипала.
И все пак, "Денят на трифидите" не е роман на ужасите, а мъдро предупреждение за риска, който крие всяка самонадеяна човешка безотговорност.
Night of blinding lights,
Walking plants lurk in darkness,
Now who will survive?
(SylviaC)

In 1951 John Wyndham published his novel The Day of the Triffids to moderate acclaim. Fifty-two years later, this horrifying story is a science fiction classic, touted by The Times (London) as having “all the reality of a vividly realized nightmare.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:45 -0400)

"Bill Masen, bandages over his wounded eyes, misses the most spectacular meteorite shower England has ever seen. Removing his bandages the next morning, he finds masses of sightless people wandering the city. He soon meets Josella, another lucky person who has retained her sight, and together they leave the city, aware that the safe, familiar world they knew a mere twenty-four hours before is gone forever." "But to survive in this post-apocalyptic world, one must survive the Triffids, strange plants that years before began appearing all over the world. The Triffids can grow to over seven feet tall, pull their roots from the ground to walk, and kill a man with one quick lash of their poisonous stingers. With society in shambles, they are now posed to prey on humankind. Wyndham chillingly anticipates bio-warfare and mass destruction, fifty years before their realization, in this prescient account of Cold War paranoia."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185414, 0141033002, 0143566539

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,654,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible