The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

The Day of the Triffids (1951)

by John Wyndham

4,6231351,030 (4.02)4 / 448
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (clif_hiker)
    Blindness (Harvest Book) by José Saramago (infiniteletters, juan1961)
    juan1961: Escritas con muchos años de diferencia, no cabe la menor duda de que enel argumento existen grandes similitudes, lo cual no quiere decir que tengan algo que ver. A quien le guste la ciencia-ficción, no debería desdeñar esta obra de Saramago, más centrada en la ciencia-ficción política o social.… (more)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (infiniteletters)
    The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham (timspalding)
    The Country of the Blind and Other Science-Fiction Stories by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alluded to in the novel.
    Dark Piper by Andre Norton (DisassemblyOfReason)
    DisassemblyOfReason: What The Day of the Triffids does with plants, Dark Piper may be said to do with animals. In both stories, a world has been given to large-scale experimentation with dangerous creatures - for commercial reasons with the triffids, while for more military applications with the animals on Beltane in Dark Piper. Both stories carry the suggestion that someone (possibly deliberately) turned loose various weapons of germ warfare not long after a major catastrophe, and both stories follow a small group through territory largely abandoned by humans, although unfortunately not by everything...… (more)
    No Blade of Grass by John Christopher (Rynooo)
    The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (Booksloth)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Two post-apocalyptic masterpieces, with much of their power coming from their focus on a couple of characters and the exotic horrors that threaten them.
    The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham (timspalding)
    Mutant 59: The Plastic-Eaters by Kit Pedler (infiniteletters)
    The Furies by Keith Roberts (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: The Furies is definitely on the hokier side.

English (125)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (134)
When I was a kid, I picked this book up from my corner drugstore's paperback rack. I think it was the cover art that attracted me. Marauding man-eating plants! What wouldn't be more appealing to a kid? However, I got bored with the book after a couple dozen pages, and put it aside. It turned out this wasn't a book about marauding monsters at all. The triffids, in fact, don't become a dominant presence in the story until the last 30 pages. What the book is REALLY all about is humanity's way of coping with the end-of-the-world-as-they-know-it. It's more psychology than hysterics. The greater crisis the characters have to face (at least through 3/4 of the story) is not that the triffids are at the door, but that due to a mysterious celestial event, most of the world has gone blind. The "blindness," it is clear, is meant to serve as much as a metaphor for humanity's folly as it is as an on-the-ground reality (something that requires some suspension of disbelief), but it's intriguing to follow the story and see where it goes. Will humanity meet its new challenges? That's a question to engage an adult, not a kid.

kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
There are some flaws in this novel which have become more apparent with time, especially the sexism in it with Bill as the level-headed hero and Josella, the dame needing rescue. Some of the dialogue seems very stilted today too but from other novels I’ve read published in this era, I suspect conversations were conducted in much more formal English and it isn’t just a matter of novels then making dialogue much more precise (or laboured) than it was.

What clearly works in this book are Wyndham’s ideas. While I can easily dismiss those savage triffids (even more easily when I think of the film of them), that idea of how you survive in a post-apocalyptic time is one which has a strong attraction to many people. Margaret Atwood has made use of this in her Oryx and Crake trilogy. It’s the exploration of how people would deal with a crumbling infrastructure and people in need of help that draws the reader and Wyndham clearly had some interesting ideas to at least raise – such as that of the necessity of polygamy – not that he pursued it.

So, for all its weaknesses, sentimentality and sexism, this book has stayed with me, its longevity proving something worthwhile about it. ( )
  evening | Mar 8, 2015 |
I read this after reading other works by the same author. I was impressed by his other novels moreso than this one.
I will say, however, that this is a very old book. It is usual to feel like you're reading things you've read before when reaching back in time for classics, and I believe that was a lot of what made me enjoy this book less. Likely at the time it was groundbreaking but now it feels shopworn.
Overall, a good read in terms of looking back at where our dystopian and sci-fi ideas were born. Worth the time. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
Bill Masen doesn't know it at first, but he might be one of the lucky ones. After being temporarily blinded by the sting of a "triffid" -- a poisonous, carnivorous plant that has taken the horticultural world by storm -- he wakes up in hospital one morning and discovers that everyone else in the world has gone blind overnight. A mysterious meteor shower is assumed to be the culprit. And while most of the world is blind, the triffids have decided to make a bid to become the top of the planet's food chain.

This was amazing. I can't believe I've waited so long to read it. It grabbed me with prickly fear from the very first page and did not let up. The triffids were extremely unnerving in their ability to "learn" and develop tactics for attacking their victims, and the post-apocalyptic society reminded me a little of the one in The Walking Dead, except more advanced in the sense of trying to get the human population back up and running again. (The Walking Dead's society seems to be more about hanging on than repopulating the planet, at least at this point in the show.) I did roll my eyes extensively at the portrayal of Josella as a "simple girl" in places, especially when she proved herself to be quite capable later on, but for the most part I was able to attribute these outbursts of sexism to the time period of the story (and perhaps to the character of Bill Masen himself).

Recommended if you like low-key creepy sci-fi, and perhaps if you like Doctor Who (for the slight dusting of cheesiness that a plants-take-over-the-Earth storyline entails). ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Feb 18, 2015 |
This is a classic. I can see where others have been inspired by this book. I have to say the beginning really sets a tone. Its the grandfather of waking up in the hospital to a scary world; scenes. I wanted to crawl under my bed. I was a bit confused by the jumping back in time to tell us about the triffids, but recovered and was able to move on. I found myself wanting to know more about them, the triffids, where DID they come from? WHAT were they really? We never got concrete answers. I was upset at points in the story with the characters and some of the choice they made. It actually really bothered me at one point and I stopped reading. I am glad I have read this, I think it should be in a high school literature course. I should get my son to read it. I also really like that it has not been changed (as some publishers do) , the language and spelling are of a different time. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |

Stewart, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viskupic, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willock, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When a day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off by sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somewhere.

Fiction. Dystopian. Science fiction. Post-apocalyptic. English.

But to survive in this post-apocalyptic world, one must survive the Triffids, strange plants that years before began appearing all over the world. The Triffids can grow to over seven feet tall, pull their roots from the ground to walk, and kill a man with one quick lash of their poisonous stingers. With society in shambles, they are now poised to prey on humankind. Wyndham chillingly anticipates bio-warfare and mass destruction, fifty years before their realization, in this prescient account of Cold War paranoia.
Бил Мейсън, заради травма, е с превръзка на очите и пропуска най-зрелищния метеоритен дъжд, падал някога над Англия. На следващия ден сваля превръзката и с ужас установява, че хиляди слепци се скитат по улиците. Скоро среща Джозела, друга щастливка съхранила зрението си. Двамата напускат града, осъзнали, че безопасният и така добре познат само допреди 24 часа свят, завинаги е изчезнал. Апокалипсисът бавно, но сигурно напредва с Трифидите - странни растения, появили се на различни места по Земята. Трифидите достигат над два метра, измъкват корените си от почвата, ходят и убиват човек само с един светкавичен замах на отровните си пипала.
И все пак, "Денят на трифидите" не е роман на ужасите, а мъдро предупреждение за риска, който крие всяка самонадеяна човешка безотговорност.
Night of blinding lights,
Walking plants lurk in darkness,
Now who will survive?
(SylviaC)

In 1951 John Wyndham published his novel The Day of the Triffids to moderate acclaim. Fifty-two years later, this horrifying story is a science fiction classic, touted by The Times (London) as having “all the reality of a vividly realized nightmare.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

"Bill Masen, bandages over his wounded eyes, misses the most spectacular meteorite shower England has ever seen. Removing his bandages the next morning, he finds masses of sightless people wandering the city. He soon meets Josella, another lucky person who has retained her sight, and together they leave the city, aware that the safe, familiar world they knew a mere twenty-four hours before is gone forever." "But to survive in this post-apocalyptic world, one must survive the Triffids, strange plants that years before began appearing all over the world. The Triffids can grow to over seven feet tall, pull their roots from the ground to walk, and kill a man with one quick lash of their poisonous stingers. With society in shambles, they are now posed to prey on humankind. Wyndham chillingly anticipates bio-warfare and mass destruction, fifty years before their realization, in this prescient account of Cold War paranoia."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185414, 0141033002, 0143566539

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible