A Vampire's Salvation by Virna DePaul

A Vampire's Salvation

by Virna DePaul

I received this from NetGalley for an honest review.

This story is short and filled with romance and action. If you like PNR, erotica, and are looking for a good fast read this is for you.

Frankie is a complex person. She’s confident in her work life, yet insecure and innocent when it comes to sex and relationships. Frankie has good reason not to trust men. It all stems from an incident in her past which has left her scarred both physically and emotionally.

Jake is a vampire that is almost out of time when he finds his life mate in Frankie. He knows he’ll have a time of it getting her to trust him. It was sweet the way he took his time, was loving and gentle with her. Of course, he protects and saves Frankie. He waits a little too long for me before he makes her aware that she’s his life mate. It would have saved her a lot of her hurt and confusion.

The story is fast paced and will keep you engaged. There was plenty of sex for a story of this size and it was pretty steamy. My only issue was with one scene, if I’d read “slowly and tenderly” one more time I might have stopped reading. It’s obvious from the ending that the story will continue, but not who it will be about. It could be about different people, but I felt it left Jake and Frankie’s story with a “to be continued” feel. This is a good short read with just a bit more information and length it could have been a really good/great story.

Also posted on Darker Passions ( )
  Tala2cubs | Sep 3, 2014 |
Jake knows he Frankie is his mate and he wants her in his life, pronto. Frankie is cautious and Jake doesn't want to scare her away. She's been hurt in the past and he'll do anything to protect and love her.

A Vampire's Salvation definitely isn't long enough, but it gets right to the point of the story, with a whole lot of sexy-hot along the way. The characters are alive with chemistry and sexual tension and the sex itself is steaming hot. When danger becomes apparent, Jake is uber-sexy as Frankie's devoted hero and Ms. DePaul makes us feel the heat and the love. You may need a fan by the time you're done with this one! This was my first Virna DePaul romance and it won't be my last. I would recommend it to all my friends and customers in a heartbeat! ( )
  Bookshellz | Dec 17, 2013 |
A Vampire’s Salvation by Virna DePaul
(A Beyond Human Novella)
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 5/5 stars

I guess I have to finally accept the clear and the obvious fact that I LOVE novellas and Virna DePaul’s A Vampire’s Salvation is no exception! This quick, sexy, and suspenseful read had me hooked from the beginning and I only stopped reading when I got to the last page.

Francesca (aka Frankie) Marie Stewart is a single-minded woman on a mission: continue to work long and relentless hours with the California governor to promote green initiatives. For years, thanks to her lack of a social life, Frankie has been able to stick to her plan and has become an incredibly successful and trusted environmental activists and fund-raisers. Frankie determined years ago, after a vicious attack by a trusted boyfriend that men generally aren’t worth the time or the effort and for years this has protected the driven woman. Then Jake Rios walked into her life.

Jacob La Costa Rios is a formidable man who heads up the governor’s security team. Jake is stern, quiet, sinfully sexy, and absolutely committed – body, heart, and soul – to a few things: his job, his vampire initiative and, convincing the skittish Frankie Stewart that she is his one true mate. Doing his job is easy, bringing vampires out of the darkness and into mainstream society will be a bit harder, and convincing Frankie of her role in his life, the hardest task of all. As I said, Jake is committed to these tasks and unbeknownst to him, Frankie may be a little easier a task then he initially thought.

From the beginning both Frankie and Jake are attracted to one another but are consummate professionals and refuse to compromise their professional standards. That however does not mean they can’t each secretly lust after the other during working hours, right? Oh, so right! Frankie is all but in heat over Jake and is even considering abandoning her self-imposed celibacy for a little rough and tumble with tall, dark, and sexy. Luckily, Jake feels the same way and once the two express their shared desires for one another, there is no stopping the naughty. After one mind-blowingly amazing night together, Frankie is ready to admit there is something more to Jake Rios and she is more than willing to go along for the ride. Unfortunately, Frankie wakes up alone the morning after and with no contact from Jake, she is sure she has been used. That is, until she discovers a nefarious plan that very nearly cost Jake his life and threatens her very existence. You see, a “friend” from the past has returned to kill two birds with one stone.

The suspense that surrounds Frankie and Jake’s coming together only serves to enhance their budding relationship. Threats and danger apparently make some folks very frisky.  Discovering the source of the threat to their lives and Jake’s initiative becomes almost as important as sealing the bond between Frankie and Jake and everything moves at the speed of light though not so fast as to take away from the story.
The Bottom Line: LOVED IT!! I am a fan of one-true-mate kinds of stories and so I am OK with how fast and furiously the relationship between Frankie and Jake developed. Jake is all kinds of beautiful and takes his responsibilities toward his mate and his race seriously which makes him even sexier. Frankie is relatively calm, cool, and collected and even takes Jake’s revelation of his nature in stride making her the perfect mate for him. There is adequate time and pages to develop the characters, complete the short-term plot and leave just enough of a cliffhanger to let me know DePaul is so not done with this story of these characters. YAY FOR ME!!! ( )
  arthistorychick | Jun 5, 2013 |
Francesca Stewart has never wanted a man as badly as she does Jake Rios. The fact they both work for the California Governor doesn’t deter her from thinking of ways to jump his yummy bones. Unfortunately, his apparent disinterest in said jumping and his complete focus as Head of Security leaves her with just her fantasies. Until the day he drops the disinterest and lets it be known in no uncertain terms how very much he does want her, bone jumping and anything else she can think of.

Jake Rios is a vampire who needs a mate and soon or bad things will start happening to him. Luckily, in his bid to reach the Governor, he finds her. Francesca is his. Now, all he has to do is convince her of that fact. And well, that he’s a vampire. It shouldn’t be hard, right?

Well-written and quick-flowing this short gets right down to business. I love the characters and look forward to reading more about them. I have a feeling that the villain is going to be one of those guys who you want to hate so much, but he’s not completely evil. I love those guys. It’s easy to hate a complete blackguard and cheer for his downfall. Harder to hate one who has bits of grey and maybe even some white to his character. I’m not saying the big baddie in this book is like that, it’s just my impression. I can’t wait to read more.

The different take on vampires is interesting, the steamy scenes are definitely steamy and I’m curious as to how the baddie is connected to Francesa and why. Although the ending seemed a bit rushed to me, for a short story it has me hooked and, so far, I’m intrigued and waiting for the next installment. Bring it on!

*Book source ~ Many thanks to NetGalley and Loveswept for providing me with a review copy. Please see disclaimer page on my blog. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 24, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible