Sundered by Shannon Mayer

I usually don't do zombie books. However, I had just finished up another book by Mayer and loved it, so I decided to give Sundered a whirl. I'm glad I did.

Nevermore is a drug that cures nearly everything. It's an easy fix from everything to obesity to infertility. There seem to be no side effects. Sadly, there's a big one: impurities in the drug make people lose their humanity. When nearly everyone in the world has taken it, it brings about an apocalypse.

Fortunately for me, the real story is one of love. What happens when you are doomed to become one of the "nevermores" and your true love is not? Will you see the person as a meal? Will you be able to hold to your love for the person from afar? What choices will you be able to make? And there's the flip-side: what happens when your true love is doomed to become a monster? Will you still love and believe in that person? What if you are attacked? What sacrifices will you make?

The themes of "there's no easy fix" and "true love sometimes means sacrifice" predominate. The story is told by both Mara and her husband Sebastian, so the reader can see what is going on, even if the other spouse isn't aware. I also liked how the characters had to learn how to survive, instead of being ready already.

If you like paranormal romances, I think you'd like this book. People who like zombie books might like the glimpse into the mind of a zombie. I am certainly waiting for the re-release of its sequel. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Oct 14, 2016 |
I gave it 3.5 stars

Even if you failed to read the book blurb for SUNDERED, you would know that the miracle drug wasn't the miracle everyone thought it would be. SUNDERED ended up being a quick, easy flowing, read with danger and a sweet romance.

The story flowed nicely. It was a bit slow at some points, but it kept me interested. Mara and Sebastian were both sweet. They love each other a lot and it shows in everything they do. They have to work through some hard times, but seem to grow stronger as the book goes on even with everything that is working against them. There are two furry friends introduced in SUNDERED and I loved them. They were so in tune with the world and willing to do anything to protect their masters. I wish I could reach into the pages and bring them home with me.

I had a few complaints while reading SUNDERED. I thought there were some stupid mistakes made. When you are told that the shot you are waiting to get is being recalled for unknown reasons, you should probably not beg for one anyways then proceed to give it to yourself. You HAVE to know that it might be recalled for a very good reason. Common sense goes a long way. Another thing, maybe tell your wife your becoming one of the things that's outside your gate so she can prepare better. I found Mara to be extremely whiny at times. For good reason at a few points, but sometimes you just have to live and stop wallowing in self-pity.

There were a few issues, but at the end of SUNDERED—which ends on a major cliffhanger— wanted more. That's a win in my book.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Oct 13, 2016 |
This is going to be a fun series to read! I ended up starting and finishing in one evening. I did not read any reviews on this so had no clue just what kind of zombies I would be dealing with. I was pleased with Shannon's take on what caused the people to turn. I also like how they are not all mindless drones screaming for brains. This is a love story, a story of survival and a story of new beginnings. Pretty hard to surprise me when it comes to zombie stories, but Shannon did. It is well written and the characters well fleshed out for as short of a read it is.

Though not a social commentary outright on the desperation behind today's easy fix it thinking, it definitely was loud and clear that people, when desperate and lazy enough will do anything even blindly going along with the masses, to fix the flaws they perceive themselves having. Need to lose a little weight? Oh pop a pill, or in this case get a shot! If the doctor gives it to us it MUST be OK right? Tell that to our protagonist Mara who was lucky she was allergic to this quick fix. Remember everyone, nothing is ever as easy as it looks and if it looks to good to be true, it most likely is!

This zombie apocalypse is just starting to get rolling in the first of this series. I am moving on to the next on "Bound" to find out! Edgar Allen Poe had it right... Nevermore ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
Fabulous zombie story! Or should I say Nevermore story? It starts off innocently enough, ish. There’s a new drug that can cure everything. Obesity, Parkinson’s, you name it, you’re cured! Side effects, none. Or so they say. It doesn’t take long to figure out that there are side effects actually and it’s none too pleasant. Just like those commercials where you can get stomach ulcers, cancer or death, here it’s just zombification, no big deal!

The plot was really good, very fast moving! The characters were pretty believable, I actually read a part to my hubby that sounded just like me, but maybe they were a little too thin. I did enjoy the fact that Mara freaks out multiple times. Sabastian is a little out of it and doesn’t take control like I would have liked him to but I think that is mostly explained later on. And it’s nothing that takes away from the story, especially once it gets going and that’s pretty fast.

Shannon Mayer doesn’t waste time on the logistics she gives us the details but doesn’t swarm us in them, which is great because all us zombie lovers want one thing, zombies! And the great thing about Sundered, she brought us an entirely different kind of zombie. Where you’re looking at this person and they are still acting like a person, they just don’t have the speech or the dexterity of a person. But they still can think just not with the clarity they used to. And their eyes still have a look that says human, that is, until they change! Gives me chills!

There are a few questions throughout the book but I’m hoping they’ll be answered in book two, Bound, which I am going to get as soon as possible! Only real downer was when the book ended. And it definitely ended on a cliff hanger! I want to know more. ( )
  NovaReylin | Aug 9, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,754,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible