Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days…

Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (And Live to Tell About It)

by Rochelle Yolanda Melander

392292,072 (4)None

Not much here in terms of tips that you can't find elsewhere. I thought it would help me with plotting so that I could get a book written in a short amount of time. But this is not a plotting book, more of a personal encouragement book saying that you can do it, but does not tell you how. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
I have never come across book that lets you know how to get a novel out and not dance around it and your writing issues - that as effective as this!

I've got a Project Journal now, and a Story Bible! And I sort of had one before on some loose notes at the back of my drawer... ahem, just call me professional. But as I read this book it came naturally to get everything out and ready, and I was excited to do it.

Melander gets you excited about writing, and getting in the mind-set to write! The tone isn't condescending or high and mighty but just the perfect amount of "this is what you need", "this is what you can do to change it" and "just do it"!

This is no boring How-To - but a book that gets you excited about writing, prepares you and then lets you know just what to do when you got your rough draw done, in 26 days.

I found the Part One: Training my favorite, it was exactly what I needed, a little kick on the butt. The titles tell so much so I'm going to bring them up so that you can see for yourself that it's all taken care of: ( my favourite chapters are in the ( ) )
Attitude Training: Get Rid of the Excuses ( Take Yourself Seriously )
Writing Training: Learn the Basics ( The Project Journal )
Course Training: Plan Your Novel ( Three More W Guestions )
Course Training: Plan Your Non-Fiction Book ( Find Your Purpose )
Life Training: Schedule The Marathon ( Create a Life Priority List )

Part Two: The Write-A-Thon is all about Melander coaching us readers throughout the 26 days, with almost like pep-talks and inspirations to keep us going for day to day! These aren't just to keep going, but very informative of what you can do while in writing process, one I really liked was the following:

"Want to write better? Get a day job. Or sign-up for a volunteer gig. Just get out of the house and do something! I'm not kidding."

And....

"Don't get it right. Just get it written." ~James Thurber

This is a section I know I'll spend the rest of the month with as I'm writing my NaNo.

Part Three: Recovery, has titles like Why Revise (this about gave me a heart attack as I couldn't even contemplate not revising, as what comes out in the rough draft is just mush), Write It Right: First Lines and How To Get Your Query Rejected. This part has absolutely valuable information that all new novelists should know! And I am glad that I now do!

This book is amazing, I can't tell you how happy I am to have read this! If you have any desire to write, or write a novel then this book is for you - do not miss it! It's one of a kind in the "How To Write Books" sections, if you come across it I highly recommend you get it. A giant thank you to Rochelle Melander for writing this, it might be thanks to you that I get my first novel out. ( )
  NiinaC | Nov 11, 2011 |

Find the focus, energy, and drive you need to start--and finish--your book Everyone has dreamed of writing a book, but so many start writing only to stall out due to writer's block, mental fatigue, and other challenges. Write-A-Thon helps you overcome those stumbling blocks and complete your book once and for all. And you don't have to type away for years on end. Here's a plan that'll help you write your book--in twenty-six days! Write-A-Thon gives you the tools, advice, and inspiration you need to succeed before, during, and after your writing race. Solid instruction, positive psychology, and inspiration from marathon runners will give you the momentum to take each step from here to the finish line; Start out well prepared: Learn how to train your attitude, your writing, and your life--and plan your novel or nonfiction book; Maintain your pace: Get advice and inspiration to stay motivated and keep writing; Bask in your accomplishment: Find the best ways to recover and move forward once the marathon is over and you have a completed manuscript in hand. Writing a book in twenty-six days may seem impossible--especially if you don't write full time--but in Write-A-Thon, Rochelle Melander will teach you the life skills, performance techniques, and writing tools you need to finish your manuscript in less than a month--guaranteed!… (more)

Rochelle Yolanda Melander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,363,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible