Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match + Marisol…

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match + Marisol McDonald no combina

by Monica Brown, Sara Palacios (Illustrator)

English (132)  Spanish (1)  All languages (133)
I think this is an excellent book for two reasons. I liked this book because it was written so that young children can understand diversity. The author, Monica Brown, chose to use items and situations that are relatable to children in order to show differences. For example, she talks about what Marisol likes to each for lunch (peanut butter and jelly burritos), a topic that many kids talk about throughout the school day. Additionally, I really enjoyed the mixed media art illustrations in the book. For example, on some of the pages, the soccer ball is made of newspaper. This is a creative way to add more words and variety to the illustrations, especially with a story about diversity. Monica Brown successfully expresses the important message to her readers that you should always be yourself. ( )
  Sigalle | Oct 8, 2018 |
I really enjoyed reading this book, especially seeing the addition of Spanish text in this story. I liked this story because of the presentation of the character Marisol, who provides a relatable personality for readers, as well as the book’s encouragement for readers to broaden their perspective. Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match is about a little girl who has grown up in a Hispanic-Scottish household which provides a great background of multicultural characters. I really like that this book introduces a child of two very different backgrounds. This shows readers both that if they come from multiple ethnicities that they’re story is one they can read about as well as those who have not been exposed to multicultural characters have the opportunity to read about one. The inclusion of Spanish text is also really encouraging to see as it adapts the book for English language learners as well as bi-lingual readers. In addition, it also exposes children to the Spanish language and shows them that some books are written in languages other than English. The fact that Marisol also likes to speak both Spanish and English provides another relatable connection for the reader. Marisol is a really unique character in her ability to stand out and be herself. One of her defining features is that she doesn’t “match” and this is portrayed both in her style and personality as well as in her ethnicity. As her cousin points out her “skin is brown like [his] and [her] hair is the color of carrots,”. Marisol proudly replies that her hair is actually the “color of fire” showing her satisfaction in her uniqueness. When her brother points out that her “pants don’t match that shirt-they clash,” Marisol replies that she loves her outfit and thinks they look great together! This shows Marisol’s confidence in herself. The big picture of this story is to be proud of who you are. Even when Marisol feels insecure in front of her friends about not matching, she learns that it is better to be yourself and be happy with who you are than to try to change yourself and be someone else. This provides a great background for any reader to be able to accept their background and where they come from. Marisol teaches us all a good lesson on being proud of yourself even when others think you “don’t match”. ( )
  MorganBecker | Oct 2, 2018 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, I liked the characters. Marisol is very independent and headstrong. She doesn't let anybody change her style, even though they try. I also likes Marisol's teacher because she encourages Marisol to be herself and is very encouraging. Another reason why I liked this book was because of the extra-textual features. The author's note at the end connects the book to Monica Brown's life and helps the reader connect to the book more deeply. I liked that the pictures were made using mixed media. This supported and reflected the story in that Marisol was also mismatched. The main message of this book is to be yourself and don't let others change who you are. ( )
  GraceSommers | Sep 24, 2018 |
Marisol McDonald Doesn’t Match was a very interesting children’s book to read. I really enjoyed reading this book because of the message trying to be sent by the author. This message was that no matter how many people tell you to change how you look or act, you should always believe in yourself and never change for anybody but yourself. A great example of this would be when one of the young students in the book made fun of Marisol’s red hair. When she heard the rude and disrespectful comments about her hair, she completely ignored them and turned it around to sound as if she loved the way her hair looked. Another great example of the author showing this message was when a friend of Marisol’s told her that she didn’t match. Marisol didn’t complain or think to change. Instead, Marisol said that she was not matching because she did not want to match, and she looked the way she looked because thats how she wanted to look. Lastly, the art work throughout the book was incredible. The colors and the pictures looked great, but the small details are what really made the book special. There were multiple medias used in creating this book. For example, the use of newspaper was used in certain pictures or backgrounds to show that the author didn’t just paint things on the page. The author carefully thought out what they were going to do with the artwork so that it could go with the story of the book. Due to the careful thought that went into this book, I would have to give it five stars. ( )
  Fowler246 | Sep 18, 2018 |
I liked this book for many reasons. The first is that the book melds different cultures into a single story. For example, the book is written both in Spanish and in English so that both Spanish and English readers can enjoy the text. In addition, Marisol herself is both Peruvian and Scottish. This allows children to see that people don’t have to fit into one box. Being different can be exciting and sharing different cultures is a wonderful event.
I also like how the illustrations pair with the story. It is a mixed media which means there are different art techniques that meld together to form one artwork. The images are mixed with bright colors and even include newsprint on some of the images on the page. Even the fonts are different (cursive and print) as shown in the letter that the teacher gives Marisol.
The story also does a great job of emphasizing that what makes Marisol seem out of place actually makes her special. The author shows how Marisol stands out with her juxtaposing look and what she does. Her hair is orange, but her skin is tan. She likes eating pb&j burritos. Everyone around her says she doesn't match but that is what makes her shine. When she is discouraged at the end, the teacher notices that Marisol is not being herself and encourages her to be herself-someone who doesn’t math because that is what makes her Marisol.
The main idea is about being proud/confident in your individuality. Marisol perfectly states this by saying, “I don't match because I don’t want to.”
This book is contemporary realistic fiction. It talks about relevant issues in today’s world and is a story about a realistic scenario. ( )
  mandyhuang | Sep 17, 2018 |

Monica Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palacios, SaraIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

My name is Marisol McDonald, and I don t match. At least, that s what everyone tells me.

Marisol McDonald has flaming red hair and nut-brown skin. Polka dots and stripes are her favorite combination. She prefers peanut butter and jelly burritos in her lunch box. And don t even think of asking her to choose one or the other activity at recess—she ll just be a soccer playing pirate princess, thank you very much. To Marisol McDonald, these seemingly mismatched things make perfect sense together.

Unfortunately, they don t always make sense to everyone else. Other people wrinkle their nose in confusion at Marisol—can t she just be one or the other? Try as she might, in a world where everyone tries to put this biracial, Peruvian-Scottish-American girl into a box, Marisol McDonald doesn t match. And that s just fine with her.

A mestiza Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and Amerindian heritage, renowned author Monica Brown wrote this lively story to bring her own experience of being mismatched to life. Her buoyant prose is perfectly matched by Sara Palacios engaging acrylic illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

Marisol McDonald, a biracial, nonconformist, soccer-playing pirate-princess with brown skin and red hair, celebrates her uniqueness. Marisol McDonald no combina. Es pelirroja y morena; su ropa es de varios colores; juega a los piratas futbolistas; y le gusta ser unica.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,209,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible