Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol…

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina (edition 2011)

by Monica Brown (Author), Sara Palacios (Illustrator)

Member:pmartens
Title:Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
Authors:Monica Brown (Author)
Other authors:Sara Palacios (Illustrator)
Info:Children's Book Press (2011), Edition: Bilingual, 32 pages
Collections:Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:individuality, culture

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina by Monica Brown

English (114)  Spanish (1)  All (115)
I loved this book for many reasons. First, I loved the illustrations. The illustrator used a variety of art materials to make them similar to how she has a variety of backgrounds to represent her. She had used a collage with a mixture of paint with newspaper that added creativity and dimension to the pages. Every page was colorful and attention-grabbing, which is perfect for all readers. Secondly, I loved how the book is in both Spanish and English. The book was written to have the Spanish language on the right and the English language on the left. Readers are able to see the similarities in the words as well as be introduced to another language and culture. I believe that children need to know that there are a variety of ways to communicate with each other and not that their own language is better than another. Lastly, I loved how this book teaches the idea of acceptance. This book shows that being different is okay and teaches children to embrace who they are as well as what they love and believe in. ( )
  SamanthaWitschey | Feb 19, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book because of the use of both English and Spanish, the descriptive illustrations, and the first person point of view. I liked the bilingual aspect of this book for multiple reasons including that it allows more people to enjoy the book and it gives insight on the character of Marisol as she is bilingual. Readers who speak English or Spanish can understand the story and the reader is able to see what it is like for Marisol as she both speaks as well as thinks in both languages. The illustrations were another reason I liked this book because of how descriptive they were. Her outfits, which were a major part of the book, were vividly drawn and so were the environments that Marisol were in, such as the classroom. They really enhanced the story and gave the reader a visual image of the setting. Lastly, I liked that the story was told from Marisol’s point of view because it helped the reader understand her character as we were given her thoughts. The reader saw her struggle with other characters criticizing her clothing choices, food choices, and activity choices. Seeing this struggle helped me realize that the big idea of this book is to stay true to who you are and do not change for anyone but yourself. Marisol tried changing to make other people happy, but realized that she liked being different from other people and not matching. If you spend your time trying to make other people happy, you will not be happy. ( )
  MaddieBurfeind | Feb 19, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. This book showed a little girl who never matched. She tried to change but realized she shouldn't be changing her ways to fit in. It is important for young readers to understand everyone is unique and the author did a great job sending that message. The art in the book was also mixed media so it matched the theme of the story. ( )
  Mollygough | Feb 19, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book for many different reasons. One of the main reasons I enjoyed this book, which is also the big picture, is because it is about being yourself no matter what. The little girl in this story loved to dress mix-matched even though her friends and family didn’t understand why. She never matched her clothes, she ate food that wasn’t normal, and she wanted to play games that other people did not, but she didn’t care because she was happy to be herself. This book shows children that no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you look like, you can be yourself. Another reason I liked this book is because the colors and the illustrations match the theme of the book – the title page has a bunch of different colors and the girl is wearing different patterned clothing. The author does a good job connecting the theme of the book to its surrounding attributes. ( )
  DelaneyIacona | Feb 18, 2018 |
I liked this book a lot because it showed the importance of being different. The message of this book is that you should be proud of who you are, and not to change yourself for anyone else. I loved how this book was written in both English and Spanish so that it can be read to a wider group of people. I also liked the illustrations and how certain birds and clothes and other objects were made with Spanish newspaper. I think this also helped in showing that she was a character who was unique and liked to do things differently. I think the way that the character was portrayed, as wearing clothes that didn’t match, was a great metaphor for her being “mismatched,” or having a Spanish mother and a Scottish father. I think this is a great message for people who do not always feel they fit in. ( )
  EmilyPyne | Feb 18, 2018 |

Monica Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palacios, SaraIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

My name is Marisol McDonald, and I don t match. At least, that s what everyone tells me.

Marisol McDonald has flaming red hair and nut-brown skin. Polka dots and stripes are her favorite combination. She prefers peanut butter and jelly burritos in her lunch box. And don t even think of asking her to choose one or the other activity at recess—she ll just be a soccer playing pirate princess, thank you very much. To Marisol McDonald, these seemingly mismatched things make perfect sense together.

Unfortunately, they don t always make sense to everyone else. Other people wrinkle their nose in confusion at Marisol—can t she just be one or the other? Try as she might, in a world where everyone tries to put this biracial, Peruvian-Scottish-American girl into a box, Marisol McDonald doesn t match. And that s just fine with her.

A mestiza Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and Amerindian heritage, renowned author Monica Brown wrote this lively story to bring her own experience of being mismatched to life. Her buoyant prose is perfectly matched by Sara Palacios engaging acrylic illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

Marisol McDonald, a biracial, nonconformist, soccer-playing pirate-princess with brown skin and red hair, celebrates her uniqueness. Marisol McDonald no combina. Es pelirroja y morena; su ropa es de varios colores; juega a los piratas futbolistas; y le gusta ser unica.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 122,498,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible