Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol…

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina (edition 2011)

by Monica Brown, Sara Palacios (Illustrator)

Member:jaimie919
Title:Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
Authors:Monica Brown
Other authors:Sara Palacios (Illustrator)
Info:Children's Book Press (2011), Edition: Bilingual, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:being yourself, realistic fiction, multicultural, k-3

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina by Monica Brown

Format: Picture book
Genre: Fiction

This multicultural book is a good book for teaching about what makes people different. In this book the character, Marisol, likes to be different and wear clothes that are mis-matched. She is bi-racial and thinks of herself as mis-matched, in a good way. She like’s how she is and is confident with herself. I think children will enjoy this book because it tells them that it’s ok to be different.
  Lacyjaramillo | Oct 29, 2014 |
Format-Picture Book
Genre-Fiction
This book is a good multicultural book that talks about how being different from others is not a bad thing. It is about a young girl that everyone teases because they say she does not match. Her hair does not match her skin, and her clothes never match either, but that does not bring Marisol down. This book is a good book to have in the classroom because it shows that diversity is a good thing.
  reyesjaramillo61 | Oct 27, 2014 |
Marisol McDonald doesn’t match is an adorable coming of age story about a girl who is full of non matching traits and is know for this but one day decides to be like everyone else and match. This story offers an important message that you should be yourself and that is it ok to be different. I loved this book for two main reasons, the writing and the illustrations.
There are so many great things about this book when it comes to the writing of the book. First off I love how it was written in two different languages, Spanish and English. I feel that this really helps bilingual readers and conveys the message of the story even more. It also offers an opportunity for readers to be exposed to a different type of text. I also love the descriptive language throughout the story. For example when describing Marisol’s hair the author describes it as “flaming red hair”. I liked this because it was a way for the author to understand the story better and the reader can really imagine “flaming red hair”. The third and final thing I loved about the writing in the book is the point of view. I loved that it was from Marisol’s point of view. I liked this because I feel it really helped to feel exactly what the character felt and understand her actions. For example when Marisol is discussing how her brother says she doesn’t match but she doesn’t care and thinks stripes and polka dots go great together. This helped the reader to understand how she felt about this, something we would have missed if written in a different point of view. This in my opinion enhanced the story and helped to convey the overall message of the story.
I love the illustrations in this book. The illustration really helped to enhance the story while being very vivid and descriptive. For example when showing the color of Marisol’s hair, the illustrator conveyed to the reader just how red it was by the use of the vivid and bright colors contrasted to the plain backgrounds. I like this because it helped the reader to understand the story that much more. Overall I feel this is a great book and one I would definitely read again. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Sep 15, 2014 |
First I like this book because of the diversity and multiculturalism it includes. Throughout the book there was translations in Spanish on the opposite pages. This book allows English-speaking students to learn some Spanish, as well as helps ELL’s to learn English.

The second reason I like the book was because the illustrations included people of different races, such as African American and Asian. The author even made the main character, Marisol be a mix of Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and American heritage.

The third reason I enjoy the book is because it pushes readers to open their eyes to other languages used throughout the world, and not just English. The book also allows students to make meaning of other people’s culture.

This is a wonderful book because it teaches children to be themselves and not conform. In my opinion one should not be ashamed to be different, and everyone is a complex mismatch of things. Being different makes you unique. This book reinforces to children that they should embrace their differences and be who they are. ( )
  Germuth | Sep 15, 2014 |
In my opinion this is an amazing book. This book pushes readers to stand up for themselves and embrace their differences. One feature of the book that I really liked was the point of view. Marisol McDonald tells her story in first person. This portrays her as a strong girl who stands up for herself and is able to voice her own opinions. “My name is Marisol McDonald and I don’t match”. Another reason I liked this book was the characters. Marisol is from a multicultural family, her mother is Hispanic and her father is Caucasian. These characters are very believable and many students are able to relate to this family lifestyle. Much like her blended family, Marisol also likes to blend activities, such as soccer playing pirates, rather than two separate games of pirates and soccer. Finally, my favorite feature of this book was the writing. On each page the text was written in English, and then in Spanish right below. This feature makes the book itself multicultural along with the story itself. The main message of this story is that it is good to be unique and embrace your cultural differences. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Sep 15, 2014 |

My name is Marisol McDonald, and I don t match. At least, that s what everyone tells me.

Marisol McDonald has flaming red hair and nut-brown skin. Polka dots and stripes are her favorite combination. She prefers peanut butter and jelly burritos in her lunch box. And don t even think of asking her to choose one or the other activity at recess—she ll just be a soccer playing pirate princess, thank you very much. To Marisol McDonald, these seemingly mismatched things make perfect sense together.

Unfortunately, they don t always make sense to everyone else. Other people wrinkle their nose in confusion at Marisol—can t she just be one or the other? Try as she might, in a world where everyone tries to put this biracial, Peruvian-Scottish-American girl into a box, Marisol McDonald doesn t match. And that s just fine with her.

A mestiza Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and Amerindian heritage, renowned author Monica Brown wrote this lively story to bring her own experience of being mismatched to life. Her buoyant prose is perfectly matched by Sara Palacios engaging acrylic illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:43 -0400)

Marisol McDonald, a biracial, nonconformist, soccer-playing pirate-princess with brown skin and red hair, celebrates her uniqueness. Marisol McDonald no combina. Es pelirroja y morena; su ropa es de varios colores; juega a los piratas futbolistas; y le gusta ser unica.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,914,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible