Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol…

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina (edition 2011)

by Monica Brown, Sara Palacios (Illustrator)

Member:jaimie919
Title:Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
Authors:Monica Brown
Other authors:Sara Palacios (Illustrator)
Info:Children's Book Press (2011), Edition: Bilingual, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:being yourself, realistic fiction, multicultural, k-3

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina by Monica Brown

This is a great book for bilingual or biracial students. It can be used to teach about different cultures, personal identity, and learning to accept yourself and others' differences.
  zkstonem | May 12, 2015 |
Lovely, simple story about Marisol with red hair and brown skin. Nothing she does "matches" and she begins to feel different instead of special. I would use this to teach about individuality and feeling good about one's differences. ( )
  amrahmn | Mar 2, 2015 |
This book sends a great message to children; Always be yourself. I really like this book. It shows how peer pressure/acceptance can cause children to lose their self just to fit in with everyone else. I enjoyed the English then Spanish translation on each page of the story. For example, "Marisol McDonald doesn't match." "Marisol McDonald no combina." Children can learn the words and phrases of each language by referring to the paragraphs. I also like the illustrations of the book. Everyone except Marisol is dressed "normal," the match. Marisol is vibrant, mixed matched, and the most energetic/happy character. When Marisol begins to match her attitudes becomes sad and smaller drawn then the other children. My favorite part of the story is when her teacher Mrs. Apple writes a note to Marisol and signs it in cursive and print like Marisol does. I really enjoy this book and the powerful message it send to kids. ( )
  kfrey4 | Feb 17, 2015 |
I really liked this book. I liked this book because of the main idea that encourages children to be themselves. If Marisol had matched all the time, she wouldn't have a unique personality that made her stand out from everyone else. I liked the way the illustrations depicted Marisol because I got to see how she didn't match and how that made her who she is. In the end, I also liked how the teacher accepts Marisol and tells her to keep not matching. I thought this was an accurate representation of how all teachers should treat their students to be a role model. ( )
  NicoleGinex | Feb 15, 2015 |
I really love this picture book by Monica Brown. Some of the aspects of the story that caused me to love it were the illustrations, bilingual component, and positive message. Since the story revolved around the idea that Marisol McDonald does not match, the mixed media illustrations really added to that idea. For example, many objects, such as the soccer ball, are made of a combination of paint and newspaper. In addition, the book is written in both English and Spanish. I think that this combination of languages is very meaningful since Marisol is part Peruvian and American. I believe that awareness of different languages and culture is extremely important. Finally, the positive messages of embracing uniqueness and individuality, as well as finding your true identity led me to love this book. Marisol loves herself and the fact that she does not match, but she is questioned by everyone around her. When she gives in and attempts to be someone that she is not, she realizes that she is only happy when she is being herself.

The big idea of this story is simply to be yourself and accept and embrace your differences. ( )
  CarrieHardesty | Feb 15, 2015 |

My name is Marisol McDonald, and I don t match. At least, that s what everyone tells me.

Marisol McDonald has flaming red hair and nut-brown skin. Polka dots and stripes are her favorite combination. She prefers peanut butter and jelly burritos in her lunch box. And don t even think of asking her to choose one or the other activity at recess—she ll just be a soccer playing pirate princess, thank you very much. To Marisol McDonald, these seemingly mismatched things make perfect sense together.

Unfortunately, they don t always make sense to everyone else. Other people wrinkle their nose in confusion at Marisol—can t she just be one or the other? Try as she might, in a world where everyone tries to put this biracial, Peruvian-Scottish-American girl into a box, Marisol McDonald doesn t match. And that s just fine with her.

A mestiza Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and Amerindian heritage, renowned author Monica Brown wrote this lively story to bring her own experience of being mismatched to life. Her buoyant prose is perfectly matched by Sara Palacios engaging acrylic illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

Marisol McDonald, a biracial, nonconformist, soccer-playing pirate-princess with brown skin and red hair, celebrates her uniqueness. Marisol McDonald no combina. Es pelirroja y morena; su ropa es de varios colores; juega a los piratas futbolistas; y le gusta ser unica.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,487,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible