Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol…

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina (edition 2011)

by Monica Brown, Sara Palacios (Illustrator)

Member:jaimie919
Title:Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
Authors:Monica Brown
Other authors:Sara Palacios (Illustrator)
Info:Children's Book Press (2011), Edition: Bilingual, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:being yourself, realistic fiction, multicultural, k-3

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina by Monica Brown

Marisol McDonald doesn’t match is an adorable coming of age story about a girl who is full of non matching traits and is know for this but one day decides to be like everyone else and match. This story offers an important message that you should be yourself and that is it ok to be different. I loved this book for two main reasons, the writing and the illustrations.
There are so many great things about this book when it comes to the writing of the book. First off I love how it was written in two different languages, Spanish and English. I feel that this really helps bilingual readers and conveys the message of the story even more. It also offers an opportunity for readers to be exposed to a different type of text. I also love the descriptive language throughout the story. For example when describing Marisol’s hair the author describes it as “flaming red hair”. I liked this because it was a way for the author to understand the story better and the reader can really imagine “flaming red hair”. The third and final thing I loved about the writing in the book is the point of view. I loved that it was from Marisol’s point of view. I liked this because I feel it really helped to feel exactly what the character felt and understand her actions. For example when Marisol is discussing how her brother says she doesn’t match but she doesn’t care and thinks stripes and polka dots go great together. This helped the reader to understand how she felt about this, something we would have missed if written in a different point of view. This in my opinion enhanced the story and helped to convey the overall message of the story.
I love the illustrations in this book. The illustration really helped to enhance the story while being very vivid and descriptive. For example when showing the color of Marisol’s hair, the illustrator conveyed to the reader just how red it was by the use of the vivid and bright colors contrasted to the plain backgrounds. I like this because it helped the reader to understand the story that much more. Overall I feel this is a great book and one I would definitely read again. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Sep 15, 2014 |
First I like this book because of the diversity and multiculturalism it includes. Throughout the book there was translations in Spanish on the opposite pages. This book allows English-speaking students to learn some Spanish, as well as helps ELL’s to learn English.

The second reason I like the book was because the illustrations included people of different races, such as African American and Asian. The author even made the main character, Marisol be a mix of Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and American heritage.

The third reason I enjoy the book is because it pushes readers to open their eyes to other languages used throughout the world, and not just English. The book also allows students to make meaning of other people’s culture.

This is a wonderful book because it teaches children to be themselves and not conform. In my opinion one should not be ashamed to be different, and everyone is a complex mismatch of things. Being different makes you unique. This book reinforces to children that they should embrace their differences and be who they are. ( )
  Germuth | Sep 15, 2014 |
In my opinion this is an amazing book. This book pushes readers to stand up for themselves and embrace their differences. One feature of the book that I really liked was the point of view. Marisol McDonald tells her story in first person. This portrays her as a strong girl who stands up for herself and is able to voice her own opinions. “My name is Marisol McDonald and I don’t match”. Another reason I liked this book was the characters. Marisol is from a multicultural family, her mother is Hispanic and her father is Caucasian. These characters are very believable and many students are able to relate to this family lifestyle. Much like her blended family, Marisol also likes to blend activities, such as soccer playing pirates, rather than two separate games of pirates and soccer. Finally, my favorite feature of this book was the writing. On each page the text was written in English, and then in Spanish right below. This feature makes the book itself multicultural along with the story itself. The main message of this story is that it is good to be unique and embrace your cultural differences. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Sep 15, 2014 |
I liked this book because it gave a abstract and fun way to talk about an important topic. This book talks about a girl, Marisol who is biracial. The author compares "not matching" to having multiple races and cultures in a fun and different way. I think comparing the two also makes it easier for children to understand the topic. I think the language of this book is written well and easy to read and follow along. I also think the character is believable and easy to connect with. The book is written in first person by the main character, Marisol. I like this because she is a very positive and independent young girl and I believe a good role model. She encourages the importance that it is good to be yourself. The illustrations are really positive and enthusiastic. "Marisol your skin in brown like mine, but your hair is the color of carrots. You don't match!" Marisol responds, "Actually my hair is the color of fire." This quote shows an example of how Marisol doesn't "match" but she accepts the way she looks anyway. ( )
  smeyer8 | Sep 15, 2014 |
Marisol McDonald is a multi-racial girl who has dark skin with red hair, enjoys eating peanut butter and jelly burritos for lunch and mismatches all of her clothes; the best part of all, though, is Marisol likes herself just the way she is. She embraces her uniqueness as well as her culture, being that she has a white father and a Brazilian mother. Furthermore, Monica Brown, the author of the book does an amazing job of incorporating bilingualism into the story. For example, Brown translates the title into Spanish as well (Marisol McDonald no combina) which is very appealing to children of a Spanish descent. Other than the book being multi-cultural as well as bilingual, I also enjoyed the illustrations that were used throughout the story. Just as Marisol was mismatched, the illustrations are a mix of media such as newspapers, magazines and so on to go along with the theme of the story and creates a visual for the readers. I also enjoyed the descriptive language which allows students to get a better, in depth picture of the situation at hand. Marisol explains that she has dark skin and "hair as red as carrots" which provides a very descriptive, detailed image for children. Lastly, I felt the subliminal message was delivered extremely well to the readers which is to embrace your uniqueness and individuality. After Marisol is teased by her classmates due to her mismatched, unique ways, she receives a note from her teacher stating, "I like you just the way you are." Marisol then realizes she is much happier being the way she is, which again is the big idea of the story; one should be proud of who they are and accept their unique ways, just as Marisol did. ( )
  KaraHankins | Sep 15, 2014 |

My name is Marisol McDonald, and I don t match. At least, that s what everyone tells me.

Marisol McDonald has flaming red hair and nut-brown skin. Polka dots and stripes are her favorite combination. She prefers peanut butter and jelly burritos in her lunch box. And don t even think of asking her to choose one or the other activity at recess—she ll just be a soccer playing pirate princess, thank you very much. To Marisol McDonald, these seemingly mismatched things make perfect sense together.

Unfortunately, they don t always make sense to everyone else. Other people wrinkle their nose in confusion at Marisol—can t she just be one or the other? Try as she might, in a world where everyone tries to put this biracial, Peruvian-Scottish-American girl into a box, Marisol McDonald doesn t match. And that s just fine with her.

A mestiza Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and Amerindian heritage, renowned author Monica Brown wrote this lively story to bring her own experience of being mismatched to life. Her buoyant prose is perfectly matched by Sara Palacios engaging acrylic illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:43 -0400)

Marisol McDonald, a biracial, nonconformist, soccer-playing pirate-princess with brown skin and red hair, celebrates her uniqueness. Marisol McDonald no combina. Es pelirroja y morena; su ropa es de varios colores; juega a los piratas futbolistas; y le gusta ser unica.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible