Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol…

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina (edition 2011)

by Monica Brown, Sara Palacios (Illustrator)

Member:jaimie919
Title:Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
Authors:Monica Brown
Other authors:Sara Palacios (Illustrator)
Info:Children's Book Press (2011), Edition: Bilingual, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:being yourself, realistic fiction, multicultural, k-3

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina by Monica Brown

This book was really good at teaching about what makes people different and I think reading this book and then discussing it would be a really great way to get kids to notice the differences but that they are all beautiful.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 9, 2014 |
This is another picture book I read to my third grade practicum class, and the kids absolutely loved it. They appreciated that the book is bilingual, and also that Marisol McDonald is Hispanic because most of them were as well. I think this book is good for teaching diversity as it shows throughout that it's okay that Marisol isn't like everyone else. She's different, and that's awesome. Just because someone's different doesn't mean it's right to disrespect or bully them. This is another concept I feel is really important for kids to learn. 3-4 grade.
  sbutler9 | Dec 3, 2014 |
The author creates a great resource for multiculturalism. She uses vivid and vibrant shades of color for her illustrations. I would love to use this book and read it to them in in Spanish to my bilingual children at school in order to see how many of them identify with Marisol. I admired Marisol's courage in creating fun new ideas from tired old ones. This is important to teach children when covering multicultural aspects in the classroom. The author uses her illustrations to help children visualize the overall concepts. This is a great book to use for when celebrating cultures and different languages. ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Format: Picture book
Genre: Fiction

This multicultural book is a good book for teaching about what makes people different. In this book the character, Marisol, likes to be different and wear clothes that are mis-matched. She is bi-racial and thinks of herself as mis-matched, in a good way. She like’s how she is and is confident with herself. I think children will enjoy this book because it tells them that it’s ok to be different. ( )
  Lacyjaramillo | Oct 29, 2014 |
Format-Picture Book
Genre-Fiction
This book is a good multicultural book that talks about how being different from others is not a bad thing. It is about a young girl that everyone teases because they say she does not match. Her hair does not match her skin, and her clothes never match either, but that does not bring Marisol down. This book is a good book to have in the classroom because it shows that diversity is a good thing.
  reyesjaramillo61 | Oct 27, 2014 |

My name is Marisol McDonald, and I don t match. At least, that s what everyone tells me.

Marisol McDonald has flaming red hair and nut-brown skin. Polka dots and stripes are her favorite combination. She prefers peanut butter and jelly burritos in her lunch box. And don t even think of asking her to choose one or the other activity at recess—she ll just be a soccer playing pirate princess, thank you very much. To Marisol McDonald, these seemingly mismatched things make perfect sense together.

Unfortunately, they don t always make sense to everyone else. Other people wrinkle their nose in confusion at Marisol—can t she just be one or the other? Try as she might, in a world where everyone tries to put this biracial, Peruvian-Scottish-American girl into a box, Marisol McDonald doesn t match. And that s just fine with her.

A mestiza Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and Amerindian heritage, renowned author Monica Brown wrote this lively story to bring her own experience of being mismatched to life. Her buoyant prose is perfectly matched by Sara Palacios engaging acrylic illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:43 -0400)

Marisol McDonald, a biracial, nonconformist, soccer-playing pirate-princess with brown skin and red hair, celebrates her uniqueness. Marisol McDonald no combina. Es pelirroja y morena; su ropa es de varios colores; juega a los piratas futbolistas; y le gusta ser unica.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,367,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible