Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol…

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina (edition 2011)

by Monica Brown, Sara Palacios (Illustrator)

Member:jaimie919
Title:Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
Authors:Monica Brown
Other authors:Sara Palacios (Illustrator)
Info:Children's Book Press (2011), Edition: Bilingual, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:being yourself, realistic fiction, multicultural, k-3

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina by Monica Brown

English (94)  Spanish (1)  All (95)
This book was very sweet. Monica Brown expressed to readers that it is okay to be different. This message is one reason why I really love this book. At a young age, children can become very concerned about what others think of them. By reading this book, and seeing Marisol say, "My name is Marisol McDonals and I don't match because... I don't want to," readers will be proud of their individuality. I also like this book because of the likeability of the character Marisol. She never matches her clothes and has a true individuality about her that is really enjoyable to read. Lastly, I like the mixed media illustrations. They include a mix of watercolor, ink, newspaper, and colored pencil. The cartoon-like illustrations are nice to look at, and really emphasize Marisol's unique style (see pages 4, 7, and 28 as examples). ( )
  kuhl2 | Apr 17, 2017 |
I absolutely love this book and can not wait to use this in my classroom. This book is about a bilingual little girl who is half Peruvian and half Scottish-American and has a very unique style. She embraces her "mix-match" traits in her fashion, food, art, and social interactions. She learns acceptance and the importance of being unique and embracing yourself. The illustrations are adorable and elevate the text due to colorful pictures. For example, the text described Marisol's outfits of polka dots and stripes and the illustration brought her to life using vibrant colors and dark patterns. The text is in both English and Spanish which teaches cultural acceptance. This books has a great moral that all students can relate too; Be yourself, no matter what. ( )
  jbarne25 | Apr 8, 2017 |
I mostly enjoyed this story because of its diversity and that it is bilingual. The story is written in both English and Spanish. I believe this story would be excellent for ELL learners. The students are able to read the story in one language and reference the translations when needed. I also believe this story has an important message for all children despite their culture. It emphasizes the importance of expressing yourself and being unique. For example, in the story Marisol’s’ clothes never match. She states “My name is Marisol McDonald and I don’t match because I don’t want too.” I also believe it is important that the author includes characters of different races. For example, many of Marisol’s classmates are different races and have different culture backgrounds. Children reading this story are then more likely to identify with a character. I also loved the illustrations in the story. The illustrations were extremely colorful and ironically “matched” Marisol McDonalds personality. ( )
  OliviaLuppino | Apr 3, 2017 |
I really liked this book for two reasons. The first reason was that the book was bilingual. It was written in both English and Spanish. I liked this because it allows the reader to see both the languages side by side to compare and learn new words in a different language. Another reason I like this book is because its relatable. Many people in this world are mixed race and have many different cultures that affect who they are. It is great that Marisol doesn’t care that people think she dresses weird. For example, Marisol was told her that “wearing stripes and polka dots don’t match” but Marisol told them that she thinks they look great together. Marisol knows that just because other people don’t think certain things go together, they still can. The message in the story is very uplifting because it is about staying true to yourself. Many people of mixed races and cultures might feel they have to conform to one to fit in but in this story Marisol shows the reader that we do not have to conform and it’s good to be different, our differences make us special. ( )
  Kelli_Via | Apr 3, 2017 |
I liked this book because many students can relate to Marisol McDonald. Today many people come from different backgrounds and cultures making everyone unique in their own way, just like Marisol. Marisol McDonald is hands down my idol. I love how spunky and creative she is. Someone would always say something to her about how she was different and she would always have the perfect remark. For example, her brother told her she didn’t match when wearing stripes and polka dots but Marisol told him she thinks they look great together. Throughout the book people around her are trying to get her to conform however with the help of a teacher she decides to stay true to herself. This book encourages students to be themselves even though others may try to change them. ( )
  KelseyHernandez | Mar 1, 2017 |

Monica Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palacios, SaraIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

My name is Marisol McDonald, and I don t match. At least, that s what everyone tells me.

Marisol McDonald has flaming red hair and nut-brown skin. Polka dots and stripes are her favorite combination. She prefers peanut butter and jelly burritos in her lunch box. And don t even think of asking her to choose one or the other activity at recess—she ll just be a soccer playing pirate princess, thank you very much. To Marisol McDonald, these seemingly mismatched things make perfect sense together.

Unfortunately, they don t always make sense to everyone else. Other people wrinkle their nose in confusion at Marisol—can t she just be one or the other? Try as she might, in a world where everyone tries to put this biracial, Peruvian-Scottish-American girl into a box, Marisol McDonald doesn t match. And that s just fine with her.

A mestiza Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and Amerindian heritage, renowned author Monica Brown wrote this lively story to bring her own experience of being mismatched to life. Her buoyant prose is perfectly matched by Sara Palacios engaging acrylic illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

Marisol McDonald, a biracial, nonconformist, soccer-playing pirate-princess with brown skin and red hair, celebrates her uniqueness. Marisol McDonald no combina. Es pelirroja y morena; su ropa es de varios colores; juega a los piratas futbolistas; y le gusta ser unica.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,857,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible