Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol…

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina (edition 2011)

by Monica Brown, Sara Palacios (Illustrator)

Member:jaimie919
Title:Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
Authors:Monica Brown
Other authors:Sara Palacios (Illustrator)
Info:Children's Book Press (2011), Edition: Bilingual, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:being yourself, realistic fiction, multicultural, k-3

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina by Monica Brown

In my opinion this is an amazing book. This book pushes readers to stand up for themselves and embrace their differences. One feature of the book that I really liked was the point of view. Marisol McDonald tells her story in first person. This portrays her as a strong girl who stands up for herself and is able to voice her own opinions. “My name is Marisol McDonald and I don’t match”. Another reason I liked this book was the characters. Marisol is from a multicultural family, her mother is Hispanic and her father is Caucasian. These characters are very believable and many students are able to relate to this family lifestyle. Much like her blended family, Marisol also likes to blend activities, such as soccer playing pirates, rather than two separate games of pirates and soccer. Finally, my favorite feature of this book was the writing. On each page the text was written in English, and then in Spanish right below. This feature makes the book itself multicultural along with the story itself. The main message of this story is that it is good to be unique and embrace your cultural differences. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Sep 15, 2014 |
I liked this book because it gave a abstract and fun way to talk about an important topic. This book talks about a girl, Marisol who is biracial. The author compares "not matching" to having multiple races and cultures in a fun and different way. I think comparing the two also makes it easier for children to understand the topic. I think the language of this book is written well and easy to read and follow along. I also think the character is believable and easy to connect with. The book is written in first person by the main character, Marisol. I like this because she is a very positive and independent young girl and I believe a good role model. She encourages the importance that it is good to be yourself. The illustrations are really positive and enthusiastic. "Marisol your skin in brown like mine, but your hair is the color of carrots. You don't match!" Marisol responds, "Actually my hair is the color of fire." This quote shows an example of how Marisol doesn't "match" but she accepts the way she looks anyway. ( )
  smeyer8 | Sep 15, 2014 |
Marisol McDonald is a multi-racial girl who has dark skin with red hair, enjoys eating peanut butter and jelly burritos for lunch and mismatches all of her clothes; the best part of all, though, is Marisol likes herself just the way she is. She embraces her uniqueness as well as her culture, being that she has a white father and a Brazilian mother. Furthermore, Monica Brown, the author of the book does an amazing job of incorporating bilingualism into the story. For example, Brown translates the title into Spanish as well (Marisol McDonald no combina) which is very appealing to children of a Spanish descent. Other than the book being multi-cultural as well as bilingual, I also enjoyed the illustrations that were used throughout the story. Just as Marisol was mismatched, the illustrations are a mix of media such as newspapers, magazines and so on to go along with the theme of the story and creates a visual for the readers. I also enjoyed the descriptive language which allows students to get a better, in depth picture of the situation at hand. Marisol explains that she has dark skin and "hair as red as carrots" which provides a very descriptive, detailed image for children. Lastly, I felt the subliminal message was delivered extremely well to the readers which is to embrace your uniqueness and individuality. After Marisol is teased by her classmates due to her mismatched, unique ways, she receives a note from her teacher stating, "I like you just the way you are." Marisol then realizes she is much happier being the way she is, which again is the big idea of the story; one should be proud of who they are and accept their unique ways, just as Marisol did. ( )
  KaraHankins | Sep 15, 2014 |
This book has a number of aspects which I appreciate. First off, the author chose to make this book bilingual where it included the words both in English and Spanish. On each new set of pages the left would have the sentence written in English and the right would have that same sentence written in Spanish. For example the title, “Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match” and “Marisol McDonald no combina.” The book is not only bilingual, but also touches on multiracial culture since Marisol has a white father and a Brazilian mother. This aspect will help to appeal to multiracial children who do not normally see themselves in stories. I also enjoyed how the illustrator chose to create the books images out of mixed media. She uses newspaper, magazines and fabric to create a visual for Brown’s readers. This is an excellent representation of the book’s main message because she creates each image with things that do not match, just like Marisol. Overall, the author expresses how important it is to accept yourself and your differences just like Marisol did with how much she does not match. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Sep 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading, "Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina for three reasons. This story book is about a little girl named Marisol who is consistently told that she "doesn't match." Marisol does not like to have her clothes match and she likes to play games that seem silly to her peers. What I liked most about this book was the fact that it was written bilingually. On one page the text about Marisol's adventures were written in English and the text was mirrored in Spanish on the other side. I found that this integration of both languages brought in the culture of Marisol and her family very nicely while giving the readers of the book the ability to familiarize themselves in a potentially new language. I also appreciated the metaphors the author used as imagery throughout the book. The author, Monica Brown, describes Marisol's hair as she writes, "color of carrots" and "color of fire." The third aspect of this book that I enjoyed was the message that it sent out to its readers. At the end of the book Marisol embraces her individuality and is proud of who she is no matter how unconventional she may seem to others. This teaches students that above all else, what is most important is being yourself. ( )
  EmilyEgert | Sep 11, 2014 |

My name is Marisol McDonald, and I don t match. At least, that s what everyone tells me.

Marisol McDonald has flaming red hair and nut-brown skin. Polka dots and stripes are her favorite combination. She prefers peanut butter and jelly burritos in her lunch box. And don t even think of asking her to choose one or the other activity at recess—she ll just be a soccer playing pirate princess, thank you very much. To Marisol McDonald, these seemingly mismatched things make perfect sense together.

Unfortunately, they don t always make sense to everyone else. Other people wrinkle their nose in confusion at Marisol—can t she just be one or the other? Try as she might, in a world where everyone tries to put this biracial, Peruvian-Scottish-American girl into a box, Marisol McDonald doesn t match. And that s just fine with her.

A mestiza Peruvian American of European, Jewish, and Amerindian heritage, renowned author Monica Brown wrote this lively story to bring her own experience of being mismatched to life. Her buoyant prose is perfectly matched by Sara Palacios engaging acrylic illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:43 -0400)

Marisol McDonald, a biracial, nonconformist, soccer-playing pirate-princess with brown skin and red hair, celebrates her uniqueness. Marisol McDonald no combina. Es pelirroja y morena; su ropa es de varios colores; juega a los piratas futbolistas; y le gusta ser unica.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,703,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible