The Corpse King by Christopher Kellen
153647,891 (3)None

Previous reviews had me looking forward to this short story. It may have worked better if the author had taken the time to explain the magic the arbiters command. Manna sword? And was the casual self stabbing (to be re-energized? Wha-?) supposed to shock the reader or confuse him? D'arden Tal is blessed with premonitions that, in spite of years of rigorous training and two years spent traveling with an alleged Master, he consistently ignores. This entire confrontation, in fact, feels like it is his first. Ever. Master Havox, who grins incessantly and most irritatingly, leaves this poor sap mostly on his own, then 'wisely' figures out the whole problem and *snap,* we're done. It felt like he is either crazy or knows something the reader does not -- and never will. The setting lent an air of creepiness, but I still want to know what those original lights were and where they went. Too many details are either missing or don't make sense. The story is, at best, unfinished. As a prologue, it did nothing to inspire me to look for further works. ( )
  RobinLythgoe | Jul 6, 2015 |

I was pleasantly surprised but this short! I’ve read quite a bit of self-published work lately and this ranks up there with some of the best I’ve read. Of course, it helps that this is Sword & Sorcery…a favorite of mine. ;-)

There were a few things that bothered me - the section when D’Arden meets the old man felt a little off and I would have liked a bit more depth in some places.

One of the things I would have liked to have seen given greater explanation was the magic system. I do realize that this short story is prequel to a full trilogy but I feel that each portion needs to be able to stand alone. In this story the magic isn’t explained – it’s taken for granted that the reader had some prior knowledge of the series.

All in all, I rather enjoyed it and I’ll go into reading the first book in the trilogy with a lot more excitement.

Recommended!
  MrsJoseph | Mar 30, 2013 |

Recommended!
  MrsJoseph | Mar 28, 2013 |

Christopher Kellen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible