Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama by Alison…

Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Alison Bechdel

Member:Tafadhali
Title:Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama
Authors:Alison Bechdel
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Gore St. Collection (inactive)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:comics, (auto)biography, american, 21st century, read, read: 2012, fiction

Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama by Alison Bechdel (2012)

English (59)  Danish (1)  All languages (60)
A non-fiction graphic novel; a memoir; an introduction to Daniel Winnicott, Psychiatrist; a consideration of Virginia Woolf and Alice Miller; a review of the authors relationship with her mother; dreams and their interpretation; a journey in psychoanalysis - this book contains all of that. It is a fascinating read, but difficult to keep all strings of the story coherent, especially as she jumps in time continuously."" ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
Alison Bechdel follows up her first-rate memoir of growing up with her father, a closeted gay man and a suicide, with this self-analysis of her relationship with her equally difficult and remote mother. Unlike the first book, which was more heavily grounded in events, "Are You My Mother?" is structured around recollections, impressions, and dreams, and depends heavily on the theories of an early 20th century psychologist, D.W. Winnicott, whose works have great resonance for the author. It's dramatic, but it's perhaps a little too interior to be well-suited to the graphic novel format. ( )
  john.cooper | Dec 26, 2015 |
Much as I love Alison Bechdel, this follow-up to her masterpiece ‘Fun Home’ was underwhelming. The artwork is fantastic, and her intelligence, introspection, and sensitivity all come through. Unfortunately they are mired down in Freudian psychoanalysis, the interpretation of symbolism in events or dreams to an absurd degree (my opinion anyway), and the theories of Donald Winnicott, whose texts are quoted far too often. If you’re a believer in those things, this book may resonate with you, but for me, it degenerated into psychobabble. Bechdel also wrote too much about her writer’s block and her writing process, I think to the book’s detriment. It’s with regret that I give it only three stars. ( )
1 vote gbill | Dec 19, 2015 |
I loved Fun Home, but this book was kind of a boring, disjointed, navel-gazing mess. ( )
  lunaluxor | Oct 29, 2015 |
dnf - I read just about a hundred pages, but this isn't really the book for me. I like the artwork, though, and still want to try Fun House one day. Maybe it's better for me or maybe it'll still not be a good fit.
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
"For nothing was simply one thing." ~ Virginia Woolf
For my mother, who knows who she is.
While engaged in some sort of home-improvement project, I inadvertently block my exit from a dank cellar.

From the best-selling author of Fun Home, Time magazine’s No. 1 Book of the Year, a brilliantly told graphic memoir of Alison Bechdel becoming the artist her mother wanted to be.

Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home was a pop culture and literary phenomenon. Now, a second thrilling tale of filial sleuthery, this time about her mother: voracious reader, music lover, passionate amateur actor. Also a woman, unhappily married to a closeted gay man, whose artistic aspirations simmered under the surface of Bechdel's childhood . . . and who stopped touching or kissing her daughter good night, forever, when she was seven. Poignantly, hilariously, Bechdel embarks on a quest for answers concerning the mother-daughter gulf. It's a richly layered search that leads readers from the fascinating life and work of the iconic twentieth-century psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott, to one explosively illuminating Dr. Seuss illustration, to Bechdel’s own (serially monogamous) adult love life. And, finally, back to Mother—to a truce, fragile and real-time, that will move and astonish all adult children of gifted mothers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:12 -0400)

Alison Bechdels Fun Home was a pop culture and literary phenomenon. Now, a second thrilling tale of filial sleuthery, this time about her mother: voracious reader, music lover, passionate amateur actor. Also a woman, unhappily married to a closeted gay man, whose artistic aspirations simmered under the surface of Bechdel's childhood . . . and who stopped touching or kissing her daughter good night, forever, when she was seven. Poignantly, hilariously, Bechdel embarks on a quest for answers concerning the mother-daughter gulf. It's a richly layered search that leads readers from the fascinating life and work of the iconic twentieth-century psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott, to one explosively illuminating Dr. Seuss illustration, to Bechdels own (serially monogamous) adult love life. And, finally, back to Motherto a truce, fragile and real-time, that will move and astonish all adult children of gifted mothers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,194,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible